Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
The Anandtech review seemed to indicate that brightness settings on the new ACD27" are tied to BootCamp.

Is anyone using the new ACD27" on a PC and is the brightness being locked an issue?

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
brightness

I have one hooked to my PC and have been working on this issue. The short answer is mostly no. I have tried old acd brightness modifier programs and even found a way to get boot camp installed on my pc. The closest I was able to control brightness was the hack with boot camp, however I could only control brightness less than 50%. For some reason, I could not obtain the brighter settings even on the max setting. Eventually, I did find one interesting thing that solved the problem. I have an old macbook pro (dvi only). While I cannot hook the actual monitor to it, I can hook the USB monitor cable to it. The brightness controls on the ACD monitors occur through the USB cable. On my macbook after hooking the USB up, I simply went into the brightness setting and turned it up. Once it is set, the display remembers the setting and stays bright when hooked up just to the pc. This completely solved the issue. So if you own a old macbook, you might be able to fix your brightness issue through this manner. I must say Apple is really being cruel to customers to not offer them some way to control brightness on non-mac boot camp pc's as many people share monitors with multiple machines.

Hope this helps you!

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply, sswitze1!

Hmmmz.... yeah I have Boot Camp 3.1 running on my PC, I am surprised that doesn't work with the ACD27". I would have thought you could just plug the display's USB cable into your PC and all the brightness settings would work. Weird. :-(

And I don't have a MacBook Pro. Just out of curiosity, I do have a Mac Keyboard that has brightness buttons on it. Have you tried plugging the ACD27" USB cable into a PC with a Mac keyboard? Perhaps the Mac keyboard could be used to change the brightness???

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Brightness

I do not have a Mac keyboard to try that option. The bootcamp option might work for you, but be aware when I tried it my screen got locked in the low brightness settings and wasn't usable until I discovered the MacBook trick.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
The bootcamp option might work for you, but be aware when I tried it my screen got locked in the low brightness settings

Hmmz... So I take it the display is still too dim and unusable at 50% brightness?

And just out of curiosity, did you install the "Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update for Windows"?
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1068

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
brightness

Yes I installed the update and it still didn't work for me. Perhaps on some pc's it might. The display is usable at 50% and that seems about where the brightness is from the factory. Don't get me wrong, the display out of the box is at a tolerable brightness when hooked to a pc. That being said, if you are paying a $1000 for a high end display, you need full brightness control. For me, once I used my macbook pro to calibrate it, I found about 65% brightness seemed best. I truly hope Apple reverses and releases a stand alone driver for the display. However, for anyone lucky enough to have a macbook, you can use that to calibrate the display and then plug it into the pc. It is a great monitor on my pc. It is next to a Dell U2410 and I like it better.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Yes I installed the update and it still didn't work for me. Perhaps on some pc's it might.

Dang, that is very disappointing that it doesn't work correctly on a PC even with the Boot Camp drivers. Btw sswitze1, does the ACD27" need to be plugged into the Macbook and the PC at the same time when you recalibrate it? And does rebooting the PC reset the brightness? I was wondering if I took an ACD27" to my friends house, calibrated it on his Macbook, then took it home if the settings would stick forever.

Otherwise... hmmmz, anyone have any ideas on what piece of the puzzle is missing here? The brightness controls do work in Windows 7 with Boot Camp 3.1 Drivers + Display Update installed on a real Mac.

I don't really understand why the same drivers wouldn't work with Windows 7 on a PC. :(

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
My 27" works perfectly fine on my PC. Intergrated mic, speakers, webcam all work fine. As for adjusting brightness, I installed bootcamp 3.1 and the 27 ACD update for 64 bit and can change brightness from 0 to 100 percent. Running windows 7 64-bit with no mac partition.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Awesome news, PinkZeppelin! Did you have to do anything special to make the integrated mic, speakers, and webcam work or did they just run right out of the box?

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
They all work right out of the box, and I didnt even have to install bootcamp for it to work. My only complaint is that the speakers and mic aren't all that great in terms of sound quality.

wing1

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Hey PinkZep, i was curious what your PC specs/components were?

specifically what Videocard?

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
i5-750
zotac 460 gtx AMP edition
intel 80gb x-25 ssd
gigabyte p55
g skill memory

Also, make sure the usb from the display is connected to the PC or you won't be able to adjust the brightness.

wing1

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
ahhh your zotac is DisplayPort, did you buy a converter for M-DP ---> DP? after that things just gel'd together.

so that one usb connection from PC to monitor will allow adjustment of brightness? from other threads it seems some older macbook was needed.

this is really giving me hopes in buying this monitor.

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Brightness

Based on the other responses, it appears this may be dependent partly on hardware. As I stated in my earlier messages, I installed bootcamp on my PC Windows 7 64 bit, but did not have full brightness control. While I did have a brightness bar option, max and min were not the true max and min as when I hooked up my macbook. I wonder if this may have something to do with your hardware vs mine. Needless to say, as I said earlier everything else works fine out of the box (sound, isight) and the brightness was my only problem. If you are interested in a 27 ACD, give it a try with your pc. You can always return it if it doesn't work out. Personally, if you have any type of a macbook or old intel based mac with updated drivers (even without a mini-displayport) you can just hook the usb cable as I did to it and set the brightness. Once the setting is made, reconnect it to your pc and the setting is remembered until it is ever changed again.

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
My specs

My PC is fairly new and loaded out. ASUS Rampage III motherboard, ATI 5970, Intel Pentium extreme 975, 12 GB Corsair Dominator memory, Windows 7 Prof 64 bit.

I think it is really hard to try to figure out which hardware bootcamp works on in regards to non-Apple machines. It might be easiest to try the monitor. If it doesn't work for you, just return it. My first one had a broken stand and Apple replaced it immediately. In the past they have never had a problem with a return of mine if it didn't work out for my setup when I got it home.

wing1

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Ash i am so glad your worries were wiped away when things started working.

Quick question, if you had to do it again would you get a new video card or just stick with the Altona.
Would everything run great if you didn't have the Altona?

i have a 8800gt i think and thinking if i should just spend the money on a new video card instead of an adapter.

i only run 1 machine setup at home. you are my Hero !

i didnt want to create another acct on hardforums so i am trying to catch you here haha.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hey wing1,

Well tbh I just realized I could have bought an nVidia GTX 460 with DisplayPort for $165

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500173

And I paid $149 off an eBay seller for the Atlona converter. I probably should have just bought a new video card with DisplayPort but the Atlona works perfectly, and at least if I ever need to fix or repairs any friends PCs that have DVI, I can use my Apple monitor.

Anyhow, aside from cost issues it doesn't really matter if you buy a new video card with DisplayPort or just get the Atlona DVI to mDP converter. Either way, the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" should work fine on your PC with full functionality.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
The Anandtech review seemed to indicate that brightness settings on the new ACD27" are tied to BootCamp.

Is anyone using the new ACD27" on a PC and is the brightness being locked an issue?

At first I had trouble but then I used bootcamp drivers (Mac OS X disk) install them when using windows then goto bootcamp in windows it should have brightness on one of the tabs select it and adjust your brightness

sswitze1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Brightness

It's great to hear it worked out for you. The interesting thing about your setup and the others I have read, are they involve nvidia cards and many the altoona converters. Most of the comments I have read regarding boot camp brightness fully working on pc's seem to involve one or both of these components. I am curious if anyone has been able to obtain full brightness control on a PC like mine with an ATI 5970 and no converters? My work around with my macbook to set the brightness works fine, but it would be nice to be able to change it on my pc directly.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
It's great to hear it worked out for you. The interesting thing about your setup and the others I have read, are they involve nvidia cards and many the altoona converters. Most of the comments I have read regarding boot camp brightness fully working on pc's seem to involve one or both of these components. I am curious if anyone has been able to obtain full brightness control on a PC like mine with an ATI 5970 and no converters? My work around with my macbook to set the brightness works fine, but it would be nice to be able to change it on my pc directly.

Yeah, I don't understand why brightness controls are not working on some PC setups. The bizarre thing is, the brightness controls are handled over USB 2.0, and not DVI. So whether or not you have an nVidia or ATi card, or are using at Atlona adapter shouldn't make a difference. At least, that's the theory.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
sswitze1,

I think I know why you can only control your brightness from 0-50%.

I made an interesting discovery on using Boot Camp with PCs. Obviously, when PC users install Boot Camp 3.0 + Boot Camp 3.1 Update + Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update, a lot of unnecessary drivers are installed. Believe it or not, it seems there is only one single standalone file needed to control the ACD27" brightness settings on the PC: AppleControlPanel.exe.

Each update (Boot Camp 3.0 + Boot Camp 3.1 Update + Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update) contains a unique version of AppleControlPanel.exe

Using UniExtract, I first extracted AppleControlPanel.exe from the Boot Camp 3.1 Update. When I ran it, the Boot Camp Control Panel came up, and sure enough when I tried to change the brightness I only had control from 0-50%!!!

I then extracted AppleControlPanel.exe from from the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update, and running this version gave me brightness control from 0-100%.

For some reason, it appears the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update is failing to update your AppleControlPanel.exe. What you need to do is uninstall Boot Camp from your PC. Then download the most current version of AppleControlPanel.exe which I have posted here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/424506361/AppleControlPanel.zip

Now when you run the exe (make sure Boot Camp Services is uninstalled first!!!), your Boot Camp Control Panel will load up and you should now be able to control brightness across the full range!

east1999bt

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
sswitze1,

I think I know why you can only control your brightness from 0-50%.

I made an interesting discovery on using Boot Camp with PCs. Obviously, when PC users install Boot Camp 3.0 + Boot Camp 3.1 Update + Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update, a lot of unnecessary drivers are installed. Believe it or not, it seems there is only one single standalone file needed to control the ACD27" brightness settings on the PC: AppleControlPanel.exe.

Each update (Boot Camp 3.0 + Boot Camp 3.1 Update + Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update) contains a unique version of AppleControlPanel.exe

Using UniExtract, I first extracted AppleControlPanel.exe from the Boot Camp 3.1 Update. When I ran it, the Boot Camp Control Panel came up, and sure enough when I tried to change the brightness I only had control from 0-50%!!!

I then extracted AppleControlPanel.exe from from the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update, and running this version gave me brightness control from 0-100%.

For some reason, it appears the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update is failing to update your AppleControlPanel.exe. What you need to do is uninstall Boot Camp from your PC. Then download the most current version of AppleControlPanel.exe which I have posted here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/424506361/AppleControlPanel.zip

Now when you run the exe (make sure Boot Camp Services is uninstalled first!!!), your Boot Camp Control Panel will load up and you should now be able to control brightness across the full range!

Thanks a BILLION. First, I have a Windows 7 64 bit, running on an AMD Phenom X6, XFX ATI Radeon 6870 (awesome graphics card). I just got my ACD 27" today, and my 2nd ACD 27" will come tomorrow to replace my old 24" dual setup with some cheap LED LG's displays.

I was banging my head trying to get this brightness up. First tried to download bootcamp (I have no prior experience with Macs). Apparently I can't download it. Then I was thinking of getting my roommate's older macbook and adjusting it there. Thought, that's annoying for future adjustments, and got trying to install that "Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update"

Well that went all well until I clicked on the install file; of course I didn't have bootcamp installed already.

I finally stumbled to this post at the bottom, easily the most helpful most for ALL windows 7 / PC users that do not have easy access to a Mac.

Downloaded and it all works well. Nothing to install either. This monitor is awesome!

Thank you again!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.