Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
SiskoKid
macrumors 6502

Can the new ATV wake a sleeping machine?

So I have two ATVs on the way, but I was wondering something about my desktop's communication with the device.

My Mac Pro uses a ton of energy, as you can imagine, so when I don't use it, I have it go to sleep within 3 minutes. My question is if the ATV is able to wake up my computer to grab content. I'd hate to be watching TV and then switching to my ATV to find I have to leave the room and move my mouse to jolt my computer awake. But I'd also hate to have my computer running constantly just for those few times a day I'll want to use ATV.

It's not the biggest deal, but I'm hoping the ATV can tell my computer to wake up for me
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

I believe with a newer Apple router you can wake up newer Macs from sleep. YOu can check if your Mac has this function. Apple menu, about this mac, more info, airport and wake on wireless supported.

I don't have my Apple router up right now. Got FIOS about a month ago when I moved and haven't bothered to hook it up yet.

I could test without I suppose. But kid using new AppleTV right now. 3 yr old is watching gummi bear vids on YouTube.
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiskoKid View Post
So I have two ATVs on the way, but I was wondering something about my desktop's communication with the device.

My Mac Pro uses a ton of energy, as you can imagine, so when I don't use it, I have it go to sleep within 3 minutes. My question is if the ATV is able to wake up my computer to grab content. I'd hate to be watching TV and then switching to my ATV to find I have to leave the room and move my mouse to jolt my computer awake. But I'd also hate to have my computer running constantly just for those few times a day I'll want to use ATV.

It's not the biggest deal, but I'm hoping the ATV can tell my computer to wake up for me
In the energy savings optipns, make sure you checked "wake for network access"
benoitgphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
SiskoKid
macrumors 6502

thanks, guys!

Can't wait to check it out when I get home as my ATV arrived and it's waiting for me to play

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater