Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
jmorrow76
macrumors newbie

Apple TV Issues

Ok, so I'm no newbie to the ATV. I ditched cable over 2 years ago & have been running only on ATVs. Just picked up 3 new ATVs & only one will actually connect to my iTunes library. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, can you no longer configure the content you want to sync to the ATV? I have one in my son's room & in the past always selected only kids shows & music to be synced but the new ATVs are not even showing in iTunes.
jmorrow76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2
HT Guy
macrumors member

My ATV2 has connected intermittently to the Apple store even though it has a good signal. My iPad can connect when the ATV cannot. I am willing to give the ATV2 some more time to get it together.

Last edited by HT Guy; Sep 30, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
HT Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Jamie0003
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jamie0003 Send a message via MSN to Jamie0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie0003 Send a message via Skype™ to Jamie0003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrow76 View Post
Ok, so I'm no newbie to the ATV. I ditched cable over 2 years ago & have been running only on ATVs. Just picked up 3 new ATVs & only one will actually connect to my iTunes library. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, can you no longer configure the content you want to sync to the ATV? I have one in my son's room & in the past always selected only kids shows & music to be synced but the new ATVs are not even showing in iTunes.
You can't sync content to the new Apple TV as it has no internal hard drive (At least, not one that you can freely use) only streaming is allowed.
iPad Mini 16GB
Jamie0003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

I had my new one crash after selecting a chapter. Also where are the video settings for resolution? Under audio and video settings there are just audio settings.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:14 PM   #5
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I had my new one crash after selecting a chapter. Also where are the video settings for resolution? Under audio and video settings there are just audio settings.
If the only output for video is HDMI then you don't need resolution settings. HDMI is able to detect it during the handshake.
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:56 AM   #6
jmorrow76
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie0003 View Post
You can't sync content to the new Apple TV as it has no internal hard drive (At least, not one that you can freely use) only streaming is allowed.
Sorry mistype. I meant stream. While I do think the new ATV is a big improvement, I think it was a step backward to not include funtionality to customize what content can be streamed to a specific ATV.

While this may not be an issue for everyone, if Apple wants this to be a true alternative to cable at some point there has to be better customization for content selection.

Not sure I like the idea of my kid skimming over episodes of Dexter to get to a cartoon. Sure with parental controls setup he can't actually watch but ehh.

The ATV setup is actually perfect for kids given tge ability to have full control over what they see without being bombarded by commercials for crap.
jmorrow76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
gottafly
macrumors regular

take another look at the AppleTV menus Settings/General/Parental Controls.

Parental Control is activated on the device, rather than in iTunes...
gottafly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater