Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:19 PM   #1
tac22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Apple tv not handling my 1080p content to well

I have a few movies in iTunes that are 1080p
I knot the apple tv doesn't output 1080p, but it can still play the 1080p content and output it at 720p ( I think many of us know this now)

That being said, I've been watching one of thos movies, and it did pretty good for about half of it... I could notice the framerate isn't the best.

But now the appletv is restaring and or giving me an error message. And the apple tv is really hot. I think it's over heating an now can't handle the comely at all. Keeps crashing.

So it looks like the a4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.
tac22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac22 View Post
So it looks like the A4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.
I think the A4 can do 1080p without a problem. Remember that the iPhone 3Gs can do 1080p Blu-ray rips without a problem.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3
tac22
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Well it depends on the quality, this is the highest quality bluray rip I can get into iTunes, the a4 handles my other 1080p content fine, but this one is overheating the apple tv and after an hour is making it restart. And this thing is hot. I've gotten my iPhone pretty hot before but nothing like this.
tac22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Shoesy
macrumors 6502a
 
Shoesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colchester, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac22 View Post
But now the appletv is restaring and or giving me an error message. And the apple tv is really hot. I think it's over heating an now can't handle the comely at all. Keeps crashing.
I doubt the two are connected. If it is heating / crashing you got some serious problem which I can't imagine would be caused by a little extra stress on the processor.
__________________
Virtual Print Shop In the UK
Lovely invitations designed and printed
or if you're local... Colchester Tweets
Shoesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
What quality is it? What is the average bitrate?
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
roidy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoesy View Post
I doubt the two are connected. If it is heating / crashing you got some serious problem which I can't imagine would be caused by a little extra stress on the processor.
What makes you think that? All CPU's generate more heat the more load you put on them.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
tac22
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoesy View Post
I doubt the two are connected. If it is heating / crashing you got some serious problem which I can't imagine would be caused by a little extra stress on the processor.
Okay, maybe, I'll test some of the 720p content later and if it crashes with any of that then im sure my apple tv has personal issues. Though so far that hasn't been the case. But I'll be testing
tac22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:54 PM   #8
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac22 View Post
I have a few movies in iTunes that are 1080p
I knot the apple tv doesn't output 1080p, but it can still play the 1080p content and output it at 720p ( I think many of us know this now)

That being said, I've been watching one of thos movies, and it did pretty good for about half of it... I could notice the framerate isn't the best.

But now the appletv is restaring and or giving me an error message. And the apple tv is really hot. I think it's over heating an now can't handle the comely at all. Keeps crashing.

So it looks like the a4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.
Yeh get us the media info on the blu ray you are trying to play. Also over wifi or over ethernet?
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:00 PM   #9
kernkraft
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
HD for Apple is 720p, get used to it!
kernkraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can ATV2 downscale 1080P content from iTunes Store? Narked Diver Apple TV and Home Theater 16 May 6, 2014 11:29 PM
Unable to play 1080p content on AppleTV chenks Apple TV and Home Theater 12 Apr 15, 2013 09:02 AM
Apple TV 2, downscale 1080p content? ra4oasis Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Dec 25, 2012 10:15 PM
Apple fix the ram handling! Ritmo OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 62 Sep 28, 2012 05:48 PM
1080p content / Apple TV (2nd Gen) / 1080i TV wayne905 Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Jul 24, 2012 12:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC