Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Apple TV 4.0 software missing features/bugs

So, it was inevitable that Apple would drop features from the Apple TV 3.0 software in the new 4.0 software because of the move to iOS. But some of the missing features (like nested folders) are important.

Here’s my list of missing features/bugs:

1. Nested folders within Movies and TV Shows are now gone. TV Show seasons are presented as separate listings that are not distinguished from other shows. Movies cannot be organized into collections (such as the “Star Wars” or “Batman”).
2. iTunes Extras and LPs don’t work.
3. AirTunes Speakers are gone.
4. Favorites within Radio are gone.
5. 480p, 1080i and 1080p output (only does 720p now) is gone.
6. Video playlists don’t continue after first video when using the Apple IR Remote.
7. Audio track descriptions (Commentary, Stereo, etc) don’t show up in the audio pop-up menu within a video.
8. Seasons are sorted incorrectly.
9. Playlists and Smart Playlists are sorted differently from iTunes.
10. Year metadata is missing from Movies.
11. No watched, partially watch or unwatched indicators for Netflix content.
12. No HD label for Netflix content.
13. No Netflix streaming quality bar or indicator.
14. Instant Queue is not the first menu selection within Netflix.
15. Unwatched/watched indicator bugs within certain menu selections. For example, viewed Podcasts aren't always marked as watched.
16. Remote.app doesn't wake Apple TV from sleep.

Any veteran Apple TV owners noticed other missing features?

Last edited by jaw04005; Oct 2, 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Updated with additional bugs
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)
 
grapes911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Citizens Bank Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
- 480p, 1080i and 1080p output (only does 720p now)
The new ATV does 720p and 480p. I'm pretty sure the old was the same.
__________________
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
jaw04005
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
The new ATV does 720p and 480p. I'm pretty sure the old was the same.
Output is not the same as playback. The old Apple TV upscaled content to 1080p similar to an upscaling DVD player.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Would love them to add iTunes Extras. Why offer this feature and not be able to use it on the big screen?
Apple Expert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
jaw04005
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Expert View Post
Would love them to add iTunes Extras. Why offer this feature and not be able to use it on the big screen?
Itís missing from iOS thatís why. The iPhone, iPad and iPod touch canít playback iTunes Extras and LPs.

Iím sure a lot of this is coming eventually.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
philipk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post

- Nested folders within Movies and TV Shows are now gone. TV Show seasons are presented as separate listings that are not distinguished from other shows. Movies cannot be organized into collections (such as the ďStar WarsĒ or ďBatmanĒ).
That is my only real complaint with the new ATV.

However, I have only been playing with it for the last two hours.
__________________
Philip
3.2 i5 8 GB 27" iMac with 23" ACD;13" 2.6 i5 8 GB MacBook Pro Retina;2.53, 4 GB 15" MacBook Pro (wife's);2 16 gig iPhones 5; 32 gig iPad with Retina; 32 gig iPad;2 Apple TV's gen 2 and gen 3
philipk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk View Post
That is my only real complaint with the new ATV.

However, I have only been playing with it for the last two hours.
My way to fix this is to just set up playlists for movies, that way I can I've all six star wars movies sorted from the rest, my marvel films sorted and my pixar movies all sorted as well. Works pretty well. Tv shows sort themselves pretty well as long as the tagging is done properly.
__________________
iPhone 5S - rMBP - TV - iPod Nano
DeusInvictus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:39 PM   #8
NightStorm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Whitehouse, OH
AppleTV v2 seems to be ignoring audio track descriptions. If you pulled up the audio track selection menu for a video that had multiple tracks on 3.0, you would see something like:

Stereo (English)
Surround (English)
Commentary (English)


Now with 4.0, all you see is

English
English
English

I'll be submitting this to apple.com/feedback shortly; I would suggest everyone else do the same as they find issues.
__________________
Mac Mini (2.0GHz i7) | 27" Apple TB Display
15" Macbook Pro Retina (2.3GHz i7) | 11" Macbook Air 1.4GHz
AppleTV (x2)| 32GB iPad Mini (Wi-Fi) | 32GB iPhone 5S (x2)
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Toddgabweg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Itís missing from iOS thatís why. The iPhone, iPad and iPod touch canít playback iTunes Extras and LPs.

Iím sure a lot of this is coming eventually.
I bought Iron Man II in HD expecting to watch the extra features on the big screen... new to Apple TV (arrived today)... very nice... so small... easy setup... could see my itunes content very quickly... no need to stream to the xbox 360 anymore... nicer than my roku hd box that my kids use on their tv...

I hope itunes will offer a similar service to amazon for video (I like the idea of streaming movies that I purchased without downloading them or having to have my imac on)...

I am pleased so far....
Toddgabweg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:11 PM   #10
blybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Galveston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
My way to fix this is to just set up playlists for movies, that way I can I've all six star wars movies sorted from the rest, my marvel films sorted and my pixar movies all sorted as well. Works pretty well. Tv shows sort themselves pretty well as long as the tagging is done properly.
Would like one higher top level menu that just lists the names of the TV shows, upon clicking a show the Seasons would appear. I've got a couple dozen TV shows with several Seasons each. Now they all show up in one big list, each show repeated as many times as it has Seasons. It's like the not-updated-in-forever Front Row on Macs. Also it fails to alphabetize by the usual  convention of ignoring "The" and "A". They had it right on the original TV.

Would also be nice if whichever Computer/Library you have presently chosen received Top Level Menu treatment for its content (ie My Movies under Movies, etc). Relegating all the user's own content to the "Computer" Submenu certainly fits with the new "renting and streaming" model...I get it. But I don't like it.

These two changes in the interface also contribute to the new TV being less kid & wife friendly than the old one. Step backwards for taking over the living room, .
blybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:16 PM   #11
blybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Galveston, TX
Also not too thrilled about Home Sharing being the conduit for Computer sharing on the TV and use of the Remote app. Home Sharing appears to be an all-or-nothing sort of feature across all these devices now.

I may want to have Home Sharing on so my wife, my son, and I can all copy music back and forth easily. But it doesn't necessarily mean I want my younger kids to be able to access my whole iTunes Library on the TV or one of them to start controlling my iTunes with the Remote App.

Home Sharing needs some toggles for each device, to set exactly what content you are sharing or allowing to be controlled with each other device under the same Home Sharing setup.
blybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:26 PM   #12
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blybug View Post
Would like one higher top level menu that just lists the names of the TV shows, upon clicking a show the Seasons would appear. I've got a couple dozen TV shows with several Seasons each. Now they all show up in one big list, each show repeated as many times as it has Seasons. It's like the not-updated-in-forever Front Row on Macs. Also it fails to alphabetize by the usual  convention of ignoring "The" and "A". They had it right on the original TV.

Would also be nice if whichever Computer/Library you have presently chosen received Top Level Menu treatment for its content (ie My Movies under Movies, etc). Relegating all the user's own content to the "Computer" Submenu certainly fits with the new "renting and streaming" model...I get it. But I don't like it.

These two changes in the interface also contribute to the new TV being less kid & wife friendly than the old one. Step backwards for taking over the living room, .
Yeah I guess for lots of tv shows a top level sort would work better. I only have a few seasons of a couple shows so it doesn't bother me that much. But then again I do also have playlists set up for tv shows to do the sorting for me.

I agree with you that movies and tv shows from a computer should show up inter the movies and tv shows menus of the apple tv. Maybe they'll change the UI back to that.
__________________
iPhone 5S - rMBP - TV - iPod Nano
DeusInvictus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:34 PM   #13
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020
 
pdpfilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vermontana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Hereís my list of missing features:

...

- AirTunes Speakers

...

Any veteran Apple TV owners noticed other missing features?
Wait. Does this mean no integration into the "multiple Speakers" pane of iTunes 10, or the remote app? Not sure what you mean by that.
pdpfilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:36 PM   #14
zedsdead
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Movie Folders

TV Show Folders (every season is listed separately now)

The lack of both of these is VERY annoying.

The remote app also does not handle these features, and displays TV Show episodes out of order.
__________________
iMac 27: 3.4 Core i7 Quad, 768gb SSD, 24gb of RAM, 2gb NVIDIA 680mx
rMBP 13: 2.6 Core i5, Iris 5100, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD
iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Apple TV, Final Cut X, Logic X, Drobo 5D
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:51 PM   #15
blybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Galveston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms View Post
Wait. Does this mean no integration into the "multiple Speakers" pane of iTunes 10, or the remote app? Not sure what you mean by that.
The Remote app allows you to choose an iTunes Library, and also to output the playing content to multiple speakers including the TV.

Bottom right corner of iTunes 10 also has a speaker selection menu where you can play the same content simultaneously to multiple sets of speakers, including the TV.

My iTunes and my Remote app list 3 sets of speakers: Computer, TV, and the set connected to the Airport Express in the kitchen. All 3 can be chosen together and play the same song with barely a noticeable lag as I walk room to room.
blybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:52 PM   #16
rotarypower101
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I seem to no longer get an episode/movie synopsis by pushing the up button...not a huge loss, but it seems a feature removed AFAICT?

Also really hate that my media has once again taken a back seat to the money train....
Please recorrect this egregious selfish error once again in future updates Apple.

I dont like going back to the simplistic frontrow personal media selection that have once again been reintroduced to marginalize my personal media!

I am sure I will find others, but got a half hour on the newest little electrical joy, but off to other activitys for a while.

Keep them coming, love to hear what others found to be a static staple of their usage that apple has now deemed superfluous....uhg!
rotarypower101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:57 PM   #17
jaw04005
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms View Post
Wait. Does this mean no integration into the "multiple Speakers" pane of iTunes 10, or the remote app? Not sure what you mean by that.
You used to be able to stream Apple TV content (didn't matter if it was synced to the device or streamed from a Mac or PC) to an AirPort Express device via a pop-up menu on the Apple TV.

That's no longer the case. That is what I was referring to. It has nothing to do with the Remote.app or iTunes 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarypower101 View Post
I seem to no longer get an episode/movie synopsis by pushing the up button...not a huge loss, but it seems a feature removed AFAICT?
The description pop-up for movies, podcasts and TV shows still works for me.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:06 PM   #18
rotarypower101
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
You used to be able to stream Apple TV content (didn't matter if it was synced to the device or streamed from a Mac or PC) to an AirPort Express device via a pop-up menu on the Apple TV.

That's no longer the case. That is what I was referring to. It has nothing to do with the Remote.app or iTunes 10.



The description pop-up for movies, podcasts and TV shows still works for me.

I only tested TV Shows, have not even tried a movie yet.good to hear thanks for the correction
rotarypower101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:18 PM   #19
philipk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I found another bug on my system.

After watching a TV episode that I ripped. It now marks the show as unwatched instead of watched.

I have that problem with both of my ATV's synced to the same computer.

Has anyone else found that difference?
__________________
Philip
3.2 i5 8 GB 27" iMac with 23" ACD;13" 2.6 i5 8 GB MacBook Pro Retina;2.53, 4 GB 15" MacBook Pro (wife's);2 16 gig iPhones 5; 32 gig iPad with Retina; 32 gig iPad;2 Apple TV's gen 2 and gen 3
philipk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 01:25 AM   #20
rritterson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SF CA
Smart playlists re-sort alphabetically by song name instead of in the original order they are on the Mac. I went through the same $%&&%*($# issue on the iPhone for quite a while. It's extremely obnoxious.
rritterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 02:36 AM   #21
MCRunning
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Nvm figured it out

Last edited by MCRunning; Oct 1, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
MCRunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 08:00 AM   #22
NewtypeCJ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Decatur, GA
Two irksome things about the new aTV that I noticed last night:

If you've got TV shows in your Netflix Instant Watch queue, it doesn't show which episodes you've watched already - a feature available on Netflix for the Xbox 360 and on my Samsung blu-ray player.

I connected up my iTunes library and watched the season finale of Louie - I had a season pass and just hadn't watched the last episode. Finished watching it and let the credits roll and get all the way back to the episode summary screen and it isn't marked as watched.
NewtypeCJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 08:04 AM   #23
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blybug View Post
Also not too thrilled about Home Sharing being the conduit for Computer sharing on the TV and use of the Remote app. Home Sharing appears to be an all-or-nothing sort of feature across all these devices now.

I may want to have Home Sharing on so my wife, my son, and I can all copy music back and forth easily. But it doesn't necessarily mean I want my younger kids to be able to access my whole iTunes Library on the TV or one of them to start controlling my iTunes with the Remote App.

Home Sharing needs some toggles for each device, to set exactly what content you are sharing or allowing to be controlled with each other device under the same Home Sharing setup.
Definitely.

Used to be able to have someone come over, they type in a 4 number code and stream. i don't want to give them my iTunes account and password. Bring back the old pairing.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 09:26 AM   #24
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Definitely.

Used to be able to have someone come over, they type in a 4 number code and stream. i don't want to give them my iTunes account and password. Bring back the old pairing.
That's what Airplay is for. Except now they won't even have to type in a 4 number code.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 09:33 AM   #25
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Yea with AirPlay you just need to be on the same network ! - No pairing necessary !
__________________
(2006: 17" MBP, Rev A: MBA Sold), 2009 Mac Mini, MBA 1.4GHz, 2GB, 128GB, 11" - iPad 64GB 3G, eMate 300, MP2100, 2G 8GB iPhone, 3G 16GB iPhone, 3G&6G Nano, 2G Shuffle, 160GB TV, TV-V2 - TPPN.TV
musicpenguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two missing features from Messages swingerofbirch OS X Mavericks (10.9) 4 Jan 1, 2014 12:48 PM
New Numbers - missing features Even Longer Mac Applications and Mac App Store 10 Oct 27, 2013 02:23 PM
Missing Features SuperPolli iOS 7 31 Aug 28, 2013 05:19 AM
Apple Hiring Software Manager and Engineer to Build 'Next Generation Features' for Apple TV MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 79 Feb 26, 2013 04:50 PM
Old software missing from Apple site buckers Apple Collectors 19 Nov 3, 2012 02:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC