Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
This is annoying.

I paired the remote with the Apple TV but it still controls my Mac as well.

I thought paring meant it only works with that device.

Seems more like if paired only that remote will work with ATV.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It means that your Apple TV will only work with that one remote. The Mac which has not been paired, will still accept any remote input. The solution is to pair the Mac with it's own remote or turn off the IR receiver in the Mac in the Security Pref Pane.

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
It means that your Apple TV will only work with that one remote. The Mac which has not been paired, will still accept any remote input. The solution is to pair the Mac with it's own remote or turn off the IR receiver in the Mac in the Security Pref Pane.

I think he is talking about the remote app for the iPhone/iPod, which works over wifi, not infrared.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think he is talking about the remote app for the iPhone/iPod, which works over wifi, not infrared.

Doubtful, as that can only control one device at a time. If the OP says that he pair the Apple TV with his remote then, the Remote app would be set to the Apple TV and not his Mac. Thus, he would not be posting about his remote controlling his Mac after it was paired with his Apple TV.

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Doubtful, as that can only control one device at a time. If the OP says that he pair the Apple TV with his remote then, the Remote app would be set to the Apple TV and not his Mac. Thus, he would not be posting about his remote controlling his Mac after it was paired with his Apple TV.

The IR remote doesn't have to be paired with anything -- it either works or not. OP, what are you talking about?

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
The IR remote doesn't have to be paired with anything -- it either works or not. OP, what are you talking about?

The ATV II does ask that you pair the remote, and I dutifully followed the process, but you may be right and it may very well have worked right out of the box. I had the same annoyance as the OP suffered because unlike with Bluetooth, you can't simply "forget" a remote. As Intell helpfully pointed out, you just have to blind the MBP.

And as tenuous as the segue may be, I do want to mention that controlling the ATV II with the iPad Remote App is quite cool indeed.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Okay, somebody please help me. I'm not all computer savvy and all into settings on computers and stuff like that. Got my Appe TV today. Plugged it in and went through setup while I installed iTunes 10.0.1. Started using my Apple TV on Home Sharing, and while I would be moving around with the supplied remote on my TV, my Macbook would start playing a song, and then stopping. Then going into a movie and stopping. Volume would go up and down. Now as I control the Apple TV, my Macbook has certain controls from the buttons on the Apple TV remote. I just want to know how to stop this. I obviously know how to use my iPhone and iPad as a remote, but I still want use of the supplied Apple TV remote without my Macbook Pro also getting use of it.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I just deleted the front row app

I still need to use IR remote but I don't want front row launching on my mini which is also hooked to tv.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Here's what you need to understand. All Apple Computers and Apple TVs work with all Apple Remotes straight out of the box without any pairing. If you choose to set up pairing on a Mac or Apple TV, then you are removing the ability for that Mac to accept all Apple remotes. It will now only work with the remote you paired with it.

So if you have two Macs or ATVs you are going to have to either turn IR off on the one you don't want to be controlled or just pair it to another remote so your other remote can't control it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.