Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbster

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Orange County
I just picked up my new 27" Cinema Display and I love it. I have been trying to calibrate for the last few hours and the picture seems to "cool".

If anyone has calibrated their new display, post up your calibrated color profile for us all to check out.

Thanks

CB

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
here's mine

Funny that you should say it looks cool because after I ran the calibration with my Spyder3, the new profile looked much warmer. I'm not sure how to adjust the profile it created, but I ran it twice and got much the same result. It is definitely warmer, but I did find that I had to adjust the brightness level up in the system preferences to make it a little crisper.

See what you think.

https://files.me.com/ryan.teets/virwhh

Zipped file:
https://files.me.com/ryan.teets/f7yak0

cbster

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Orange County
It is definitely warmer than mine. I like it. I would say it has a slight pink tone to it though.

Thanks for posting it.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
how to adjust?

How can I tweak the profile slightly without recalibrating from zero?

DBriggs

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Funny that you should say it looks cool because after I ran the calibration with my Spyder3, the new profile looked much warmer. I'm not sure how to adjust the profile it created, but I ran it twice and got much the same result. It is definitely warmer, but I did find that I had to adjust the brightness level up in the system preferences to make it a little crisper.

See what you think.

https://files.me.com/ryan.teets/virwhh

Zipped file:
https://files.me.com/ryan.teets/f7yak0

Thanks for posting your profile. I am still very new to my ACD. How can I import other peoples profiles?

Thanks all for your help!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for posting your profile. I am still very new to my ACD. How can I import other peoples profiles?

Thanks all for your help!

You place color profiles into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and then they will show up under the color tab for the Display in System Preferences

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
ryanide's is really great! been using it on both of my 27's for a week now.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Its not the best idea to just use someone elses calibration, each display is different the way it spreads light, intensity etc and your monitor changes over time. You should make a new profile every month. If you want your monitor calibrating buy a gretag macbeth, the calibrator is £100 or you could buy the whole kit with the paper calibrating kit and the screen calibrator for £1000 and its an awesome piece of kit.

Also every profile is different for each different graphics card you use.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Its not the best idea to just use someone elses calibration, each display is different the way it spreads light, intensity etc and your monitor changes over time. You should make a new profile every month. If you want your monitor calibrating buy a gretag macbeth, the calibrator is £100 or you could buy the whole kit with the paper calibrating kit and the screen calibrator for £1000 and its an awesome piece of kit.

The only part that is true about what you said is that each display is different in the way it spreads light. Also some people might calibrate it wrong by not setting the correct brightness setting first before calibration and things like that. And of course you are correct about differences in graphics cards, but these days they all output the almost identically (for 2d) thanks to standards in digital output. The differences in output was more something we dealt with back in analog VGA days.

But you are completely wrong about how it changes over time. That is only true for LCDs with CCFL backlighting. Because the 27" uses LED backlighting there is no changes over time, they stay the same throughout the life of the display (which is a lot longer too because of the LEDs). There is no need to recalibrate every month with LED.

Still I definitely would recommend people be aware that other profiles might be incorrect. Then again, someone doing their own calibration with their own calibrator might still result in incorrect color profiles. You really need to know what you are doing to get the most of them.

oweneck

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008

But for the non-professionals out there, it's a lot better than the original default one most of the time.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I am getting horrible black levels with my newly purchased 27 LED Cinema Display, especially when watching 1080p .mkv files with VLC player in my dark bedroom. Any suggestions? :confused:

I started to use ryanide color profile, and it seems to help a bit, but I'm starting to think I have a faulty unit.

Last edited:

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2006
Rather than start a new thread for 27" LED Cinema Display ICC profiles, I thought I'd resurrect this one...

The links posted earlier in this thread have expired (they're old mobileme links) and the only other resource I'm aware of for ICC files (TFTCentral) has no profile specifically for the 27" LED Cinema Display...

Anyone care to share their calibrated profiles?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's a bit like sharing your trouser measurements. Very important for you, not necessarily useful for anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.