Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
i have a 2005 G5 2.0 (early i believe) and it is giving me the white screen with the apple. no scrolling circle.. i have also noticed the keyboard and mouse only stays powered for about 15 seconds when i turn it on. also, the apple icon is much larger than usual. i bought a brand new hard drive and formatted it and the same problem occurs with both hard drives. about every 20 boots it will start and work like nothing was wrong but after about 5 mins of use, it freezes and i am forced to reboot it again. the cycle pretty much repeats. i have booted from an install disk and formated and installed the os. every time i do it, it seems to be working fine and then will freeze and not boot again. i havn't ran the hardware test because i dont have an original install disk. is their anyway to download the hardware test?

i have....

-took out and reinserted the ram
-reset the SMC
-reset the PRAM
-tried the safe boot (didnt respond)
-booted from install disk and reformatted disk
-repaired disk

any input will help. thanks!

-phenito

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Try to boot with minimum amount of RAM (2 sticks) and see if it'll help.

Second thing what comes to my mind is graphics card. If your G5 is Late 2005 2.0, then it's DC. IIRC G5 DC are able to boot without graphics card, like Mac Pro is. These 6600LE (if you got stock card ofc) are failing sometimes and could produce issues like yours.
You can test it by connecting remotely to your mac via VNC or ssh when it be booted without card. If your Mac will be still responsive - you've found the culprit.
But check RAM first.

phenito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
ok. so i checked the ram and the ram is good. i tried booting it with out the v-card and it still does the same thing. i can tell because the power to the keyboard and mouse cuts out after 20 seconds or so. does anyone know why the power to the keyboard and mouse is cutting out?

phenito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
just found out its the logic board. anyone got any tips of what this is and how to replace it?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
just found out its the logic board. anyone got any tips of what this is and how to replace it?

I would get Apple to do it, though it will be expensive. Do you think you have the technical ability to do it yourself?

phenito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
i took it into the apple store and they did some hardware tests on it. yeah im pretty sure i can install it. i just dont know if its even worth spending the time and money to fix it. any one know a site to get a cheap board? ive googled it and the average price is looking around 400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.