Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:41 AM   #1
xyzzy-xyzzy
macrumors member

Extension cables for the 27" cinema display

Is this mini displayport male to female cable and this USB 2.0 A Male to A Female extension cable sufficient to extend the connection on the 27" cinema display?
xyzzy-xyzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
valmar
macrumors member

Why don't you get the Dr. Bott 2-in-1 cable?
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bott-Displa...6036165&sr=8-2

Works great with ACD.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Rainbird
macrumors newbie

Well, that Dr. Bott cable has a ship date of two months at Amazon. The online Apple Store has the same cable in stock with a ship date of 24 hours.
Rainbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy-xyzzy View Post
Is this mini displayport male to female cable and this USB 2.0 A Male to A Female extension cable sufficient to extend the connection on the 27" cinema display?
Yes, those are the extensions I'm using with mine.
Lava Lamp Freak is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:21 AM   #5
PetitBourgeois
macrumors member

Are there any mini displayport extension cables that support audio, though? I suppose the audio would pass through the USB extension cable if it didn't.
PetitBourgeois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:42 AM   #6
valmar
macrumors member

Yes, the Dr. Bott pass Audio through mdp
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:01 AM   #7
xyzzy-xyzzy
macrumors member

Thanks "Lava Lamp Freak" for answering my specific question.

As for the Dr Bott cables...
(a) yes, the Amazon delivery date is way too long,
(b) it's not clear in the description of the Dr. Bott cables if they really do carry the audio on mDP. Indeed that specific question is asked on the Apple questions section for that cable but it's not aswered there,
(c) the monoprice cable combination is only about $10 vs. about $40 for the Dr Bott's
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:45 AM   #8
valmar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy-xyzzy View Post
(a) yes, the Amazon delivery date is way too long
Get em in the Apple Store

Quote:
(b) it's not clear in the description of the Dr. Bott cables if they really do carry the audio on mDP.
I sent an email to the manufacturer company and they said that the cables carry 100% of the signal including audio. The cable is even Apple-certified which means that the Dr. Bott guys sent in the cables to Apple and got the confirmation that everything works as it should with Apple devices.

Quote:
(c) the monoprice cable combination is only about $10 vs. about $40 for the Dr Bott's
Quality always isn't cheap.
You should know that if you buy Apple.

If you prefer the monoprice ones, order them and pray that they work.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:05 AM   #9
MFDoom
macrumors member

The Monoprice cables work just fine. I'm using the MDP cables as well. I could have saved some additional coin by getting my USB extension here as well. For some reason, I couldn't find that cable in the store...
MFDoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:12 PM   #10
xyzzy-xyzzy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDoom View Post
The Monoprice cables work just fine. I'm using the MDP cables as well. I could have saved some additional coin by getting my USB extension here as well. For some reason, I couldn't find that cable in the store...
Sorry for the long delayed followup in this thread since I am now just revisiting this question of audio on a mDP cable...

Specifically I'm confused about the above claim that the "Monoprice cables work just fine". The cables there explicitly state "DisplayPort v1.1 * Does not support audio". So how is audio supported on those cables (as opposed to the usb which we know supports audio -- well, except for a lot of folks complaining about a problem loosing audio that way. )

[Oh, almost forgot, doing my research I stumbled upon the Kanex extension cables. That mDP cable doesn't support audio either. I think Dr. Bott may be the only game in town.]

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals