Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1
RockinOut
macrumors newbie

Just bought beats by dre studio - Equalizers???

So I finally decided to improve my headphone music world by buying the beats by dre white studio. As expected, the bass is awesome and rap music with or without the hip-hop equalizer sounds great. My only concern is most of my music is Rock. Without any equalizers some of my songs sound a little muddy. I don't want the vocals getting drowned out so I've been messing with the equalizers. I've read some people say that for Rock they like the Acoustic setting and some say the Rock setting. I found that acoustic often times is better than the Rock for some songs, but I also found that Treble Booster helps the vocals become clearer. I don't want to hear that these headphones aren't good for rock because a lot of Rock songs are sounding awesome. I just don't want to have to listen to each song to set a specific setting. So, does anybody have any advice on what equalizers are best for rock music on the beats? Also, I don't want it to "ruin" how the songs sound on my stereo, etc.

Thanks a ton in advance for any help.
RockinOut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Monkey194545
macrumors member

I hate to say it but you probably shouldn't have got the dres. They are really only good for listening to rap/hiphop. For the price you could've got a good medium tier pair of sennheisers or sonys or if you wanted to the trendy factor maybe a top of the line pair of skull candys. Return maybe?
Monkey194545 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Seems weird to even buy dr dre headphones if your a rock fan? I second either returning them or selling them and buying some better headphones.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

i find that my in-ear Beats sound fine no matter what genre it is, whether it's techno/electronic, rap/hip-hop, rock, heavy rock/metal, or laid back alternative etc. i always mess around with equalizers on itunes constantly switching from R&B to Bass Booster to Rock to "super bumpin" that i made on my own, i don't know if they transfer over to my iPod though.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
RockinOut
macrumors newbie

Yeah I fell into the look like most people. I know quality of sound wise they are a little overrated, but if you mess with the settings they're actually pretty sweet. Thanks, I've heard all of what you said, but the rock is sounding pretty good now so I'm satisfied.

/thread i guess.
RockinOut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:23 AM   #6
darkcurse
macrumors 6502a

I always thought the whole point of getting "good" headphones was so you could turn off the equaliser. Ever since I got mine, I have been running on equaliser "off" mode. Everything still sounds great!
darkcurse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 01:39 AM   #7
L33D0
macrumors newbie

Really? so "you could turn off the equaliser"?! tell me why on gods earth someone would spend that hard earned cash just so they could "turn off the equaliser"!! and "everything still sounds great"!!! awesome! so you spent stupid cash on just a reason to turn the equaliser off? Really! oh god.
L33D0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:24 AM   #8
displaced
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to displaced Send a message via MSN to displaced Send a message via Skype™ to displaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33D0 View Post
Really? so "you could turn off the equaliser"?! tell me why on gods earth someone would spend that hard earned cash just so they could "turn off the equaliser"!! and "everything still sounds great"!!! awesome! so you spent stupid cash on just a reason to turn the equaliser off? Really! oh god.
To be fair, a set of headphones with reasonably flat frequency response will reproduce pretty faithfully any style of music without needing to mess with the equaliser.

And it's not a question of spending extra money - a decent set of Sennheisers would cost as much (and quite possibly less) than the Beats.

It's all about personal preference. I'm not an equaliser-twiddler. I just want to hear the music as it was recorded, so I went for some Sennheisers since they're not biased towards any particular sound. Beats are, by design, weighted towards bass notes. So, you may need to tweak the equaliser for some tracks on those. Which is fine!
displaced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:33 AM   #9
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Please help me to understand why you dig out a two years old thread, sign up and write such an "emotional" first post ?

... and welcome to MR.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:35 AM   #10
Music_Producer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
When we record music, we record and play back the mix on extremely 'flat' monitors (speakers) - because if it sounds great on those, it will sound better on most commercial speakers/headphones.

Neutral monitors/headphones are more expensive than consumer grade equipment. The flatter the response, the better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Please help me to understand why you dig out a two years old thread, sign up and write such an "emotional" first post ?

... and welcome to MR.
Crap, I didn't even realize that he dug such an old thread.. but he sure did manage to get responses with that post!
Music_Producer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:13 AM   #11
displaced
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to displaced Send a message via MSN to displaced Send a message via Skype™ to displaced
Grrr. Me neither. Send this thread back to the crypt....
displaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 05:32 AM   #12
BB.King
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because I want to hear music as close to the way the artist record it in the studio.

If you have a decent ear/headphone, there is no need to mess around with equaliser to get good sound from them.

And yes, Dre headphone is good enough if you choose style over substance, or marketing over sound quality.

I brought a pair of Sennheiser Amperior last Monday at Apple store after tying different headphones inc Dres, the quality difference is night and day between them.
BB.King is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice