Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Oct 1, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
TXCraig
macrumors 6502

Hulu Plus Is Way Worse Then I Expected

Ok, I have seen more then my share of debates on if it is worth it to pay Hulu 10 bucks a month for expanded contect and expanded platforms (iPad and iPhone) and I don't want to get caught up on that. There is something way worse I discovered yesterday that I want everyone to know. Here is what I noticed:

I go to Hulu on my Mac and logged in and had access to my "watch queue" so any shows that I am interesed in watching go into the queue. So when I am on my mac is 52 items in my watch queue.

Now I go to my iPad, log into Hulu with the same account, go to my queue and... ONE item shows up. For example, I can watch this week's Hell' Kitchen (yes, yes, I know) on my mac but I can't on my iPad or Iphone... I had no idea Hulu was doing this but it seems now they have content you can watch via the web on a PC and only a small subset of the content can be watched on a iPad or iPhone.... EVEN IF YOU ARE PAYING!?!?!?!

This makes no since to me, Hulu seems to LOVE being able to control what platform their content can be seen and its got to stop.

Has anyone else noticed this?
TXCraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
ftaok
macrumors 601

Is this a bug with Hulu Plus' queue system? Or is it something they are intentionally doing?

Can you check to see if the remaining 51 items on your Hulu Regular queue are even in Hulu Plus' library?

ft
Old Oct 1, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
rikmac
macrumors newbie

I used to like Hulu in the early years but now you might as well pull out the old TV antenna, set it up next to your computer and you will get about the same results...
rikmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Galley
macrumors 65816

Certain shows have restrictions set on them by the rights owners that keep them from being available on portable devices.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 04:00 PM   #5
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCraig View Post
Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, and it's the reason I canceled my service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
Certain shows have restrictions set on them by the rights owners that keep them from being available on portable devices.
Sucks. lol
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 06:13 PM   #6
vw195
macrumors 6502

You can use playon.tv and stream from main hulu site. They'll never know you are on a portable device
vw195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

PlayOn requires Windows though. Which I do have but on a netbook which apparently wouldn't meet the required specs.

And yes, I was very excited about Hulu Plus and did use it to catch up on Glee before the new season. But the lack of content is disappointing and I don't know that I'll keep on subscribing...especially since the better shows available tend to already be on Netflix.
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

PlayOn is awesome. Besides Hulu and the others, stream your own Movies and Music to the TV and the iPad -- I can get Crackle. And I love me some Crackle.

And I did subscribe to Hulu plus until I just recently cancelled. For me, some shows I was able to watch are not on Netflix but other shows on Netflix aren't on Hulu plus. So it all works out. And I didn't feel like paying for both so went with the better option.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps