Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zandramas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Hi there, I am looking for some help with the Automator program. I have something specific I wish to accomplish and don't really know how to go about doing it. I will explain in detail and if someone could give me some direction or step by step instruction, I would be grateful.

So I have a folder with several PDF files of my college notes that I've digitized to keep and save space and avoid clutter. Now what I want to do is to merge these files in a certain manner. So let me show you what I mean:

File Folder A:
-Sept18
-Sept18 2
-Sept18 Slide
-Sept27
-Oct2
-Oct2 2
-Oct2 3
-Oct11
-Oct11 2
-Oct11 Slide

And so on and so forth... Now, what I want to do is to make an Automator workflow that basically goes into File Folder A and starts to merge files selectively. It would merge "Sept18" and "Sept18 2" into one file called Sept18 and it would trash "Sept18 2". It would also see that Sept27 is a singular file so it would leave it alone. It would then merge Oct2 into one file, Oct11 and so on and so on forth. However, it would leave any "<date> Slide" file alone because I wish to keep my class slides separate. I hope I've made myself fairly clear. If what I've said is confused, please let me know and I can try to clarify it.

If anyone can help me with creating this workflow, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.