Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
3Pedals6Speeds
macrumors member

Apple TV remote controlling my MacBook & Apple TV at same time?

Tonight while setting up my Apple TV I had my MacBook open on the floor. When the Apple TV remote was pointed away from the MacBook it only controlled the Apple TV. However, a couple times it got pointed on a line with the MacBook, and all of a sudden the Macbook started responding to the remote inputs, at the same time that the Aple TV was also responding. Yes, both at once.
3Pedals6Speeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pedals6Speeds View Post
Tonight while setting up my Apple TV I had my MacBook open on the floor. When the Apple TV remote was pointed away from the MacBook it only controlled the Apple TV. However, a couple times it got pointed on a line with the MacBook, and all of a sudden the Macbook started responding to the remote inputs, at the same time that the Aple TV was also responding. Yes, both at once.
That's completly expected. They are just IR remotes.

If you don't want that, you need to pair BOTH devices, each to a different remote. Pairing a remote to a device is NOT like pairing a Bluetooth headset.

When you pair a remote to a device, you are telling that device (and that device only) to "accept commands from this, and only this, remote." That remote can still control other devices that have not been told of a restriction.
PurdueGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:29 PM   #3
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

Go to System Preferences>Security>General and select "Disable remote control infrared receiver".
iPhone1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:31 PM   #4
IrishTiger
macrumors regular

Oh thank you!!!!!!!! I just got my ATV2 and that was driving me nuts!
Old May 5, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
pips7000
macrumors newbie

apple tv remote controller macbook pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1 View Post
Go to System Preferences>Security>General and select "Disable remote control infrared receiver".
thanks man your a star
pips7000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Apple really should fix this by default - a device should only respond if configured using from button combo on the remote.
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
Apple really should fix this by default - a device should only respond if configured using from button combo on the remote.
It would be amazing if they did that, just imagine the number of threads on MR going "I just bought/restored my ATV, the remote doesn't work"

Is it really that common to have the laptop (or another Apple device responding to the remote) between the sofa and the TV?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater