Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Here's some breaking news (just today) from Cyberpower concerning their just released PFC UPS models which uses their new "adaptive sinewave" technology.

I figure this will be of much interest for many of us that have been constantly going at it at the various UPS threads debating constantly over sine waves and buzzing noises (Macrumors forums at it's finest :D)

Here's the link to Cyberpower's article, which then links to the real article: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/ab...rs-channel-pure-sinewave-ups-alternative.html

Here's the link to the whole article by CDN: http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/cdn/News.asp?id=59349

Here is the link to the 1500va model on Cyberpower's site for those that are interested: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP1500PFCLCD.html

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Vendors such as HP, Dell, Lenovo and Acer are recommending a Pure Sinewave UPS for Active PFC-based systems. But Backman said Pure Sinewave is designed for high-end, mission critical systems and has the price-tag to match at $400 or more. It's just too pricy an option for the consumer, small office/home office or even SMB customer, he said.

“If you spend $1500 on a system and a Pure Sinewave UPS is $400, that's a pretty big investment for an accessory,” said Backman. “Most consumers won't spend more than 10 per cent of the purchase price of their PC to get power backup.”

I'd like to think pricing has a lot to do with much of the debate that goes on concerning pure sinewave UPSes, even though it may not be spoken much. This article actually came at a funny time because I just shot an email to CP yesterday inquiring about the new PFC models and if these are meant to be the appropriate type of consumer UPSes for the Mac Pro and received this reply:

Yes, I believe you are right on when selecting the 1500PFCLCD for your
Mac Pro.
It's not a matter of a non-pure sine wave battery backup damaging your
computer when the unit is running on battery power....it wouldn't damage
it. However, when power is cut, and the unit begins outputting
simulated sine wave, an Active PFC PSU could reject that power, and the
computer could reboot or restart, which would essentially void the whole
point of having a battery backup.
So with your setup, the CP1500PFCLCD would be the unit I would
recommend.

Thanks,
Jeff Peterson
Tech Support
CyberPower Systems

Now of course, I understand that any company will want to sell you their product, so such email replies received by vendors should always be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I tried searching for any type of user or press reviews for these units and it seems these new PFC models are so new in fact, that they were just added to Amazon's inventory only just last month, and are still largely unavailable for sale. So it seems none of these are out yet in the wild. At least not long enough to see some user reviews. Here's another email reply from Jeff at CP regarding reviews:

The units are so new that I haven't really looked for reviews yet.
I've used them here, and they seem to function quite nicely.
Sorry I don't have much more info on them though.

However, referencing page 6 of this thread: Uninterruptable Power Supply threads? by Ravich, in post #134, w00tini observed adamant promotion by Cyberpower in Newegg's AVRLCD user reviews to actively inform customers of their new PFC UPSes with adaptive sine wave technology for high end machines like the Mac Pro.

Here is a direct link to Newegg's user reviews for the Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD model, as pointed out by w00tini in the above mentioned thread: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

You'll be able to see CP's active role in customer interaction here, mentioning their PFC lineup on several ocassions.

Though I have been unsuccessful to find a proper white paper or get an adequate concrete answer from AppleCare on the Mac Pro's exact PSU specification, I believe a PFC PSU is part of the Energy Star 5.0 rating, according to Cyberpower at Newegg, and also based on more internet forum ramblings, which the Mac Pro is rated as. Take that as you will. If there is some common knowledge that is properly documented out there concerning the Mac Pro PSU confirming it to be a PFC, then please feel free to share any findings.

So I just sent back my CP1500AVRLCD to Amazon due to a relapse in indecisiveness, but my interest is now piqued for new PFC these models. I'm personally hoping these will work as promised, provide less stress for the PSU while on battery, and finally get rid of that pesky buzzing sound. If anything, CP covers up to $425,000 compared to APC's $150,000 for their comparatively specced Back-UPS BR models. Like w00tini, I think I'll be ordering one and see how it works and try to report back as well.

It's worth noting that this seems to be the very first consumer UPS product designed to work with PFC PSUs without the use of a pure sine wave. So I am curious as how fast and in what way will competitors react to these new products, assuming of course, this stuff actually works and isn't just more marketing baloney :rolleyes:

So I ask: any thoughts on this development?? Anyone think that this could be a big step in UPS technology?

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
bought this one a few days ago... should arrive Wednesday.

i will do a full review with video once i get a chance to get it all setup.

leftPCbehind209

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
bought
image-3160356-10521304
this one a few days ago... should arrive Wednesday.

How does the one you purchased compare with this one:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/about/753883232/apc-s10

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
bought this one a few days ago... should arrive Wednesday.

i will do a full review with video once i get a chance to get it all setup.

Video review?? Nice! I'm getting impatient myself and might go ahead order this today...

As for the above sine wave unit, I think if cost is a small factor and if you intend to use the UPS to continue work while on battery, then you're still getting the purest energy in a sine wave form unit. You certainly can't go wrong with that.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for that info. For those in the US, Amazon has these models listed well below MSRP. Haven't checked too many sites, but it seems to be one of the lowest prices.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for that info. For those in the US, Amazon has these models listed well below MSRP. Haven't checked too many sites, but it seems to be one of the lowest prices.

they were not in stock on amazon when I looked. the scheduled ship date was oct 25. Thats why I went with newegg

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
they were not in stock on amazon when I looked. the scheduled ship date was oct 25. Thats why I went with newegg

Good point. Amazon is hosting a sale through another company that seems to have them in stock. Not much difference in price from newegg so you made the right call. Looking forward to your review :)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
So Icaras, do you have a buzzing PSU, too? I thought dissolve and I were the only two buzzers here :D I noticed that when using the sliders in Lightroom, the power supply's buzzing sound increases. What does this meaaaannn :D I think there are angry bees in our Mac Pros :rolleyes:

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The CP Pro series have significantly better specs (at each Wattage rating) and are only a little bit more $'s. You should look at both very carefully before you jump for either series.

I've had a good experience with CP products and will purchase from them again. I'm on travel right now but will check the power usage of my MP on Sunday and order a Pro unit with 2x the power rating.

cheers
JohnG

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
So Icaras, do you have a buzzing PSU, too? I thought dissolve and I were the only two buzzers here :D I noticed that when using the sliders in Lightroom, the power supply's buzzing sound increases. What does this meaaaannn :D I think there are angry bees in our Mac Pros :rolleyes:

EDIT: moving to a more appropriate thread...carry on :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008

Yea, it buzzed whenever I switched to battery, but it only then. I don't have a normally buzzing PSU by itself.

The CP Pro series have significantly better specs (at each Wattage rating) and are only a little bit more $'s. You should look at both very carefully before you jump for either series.

I've had a good experience with CP products and will purchase from them again. I'm on travel right now but will check the power usage of my MP on Sunday and order a Pro unit with 2x the power rating.

cheers
JohnG

Are you talking about their PFC lineup, or something different?

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Yea, it buzzed whenever I switched to battery, but it only then. I don't have a normally buzzing PSU by itself.

Are you talking about their PFC lineup, or something different?

Greetings

I'm referring to the PP series. CP has a variety of UPS's in this series and all of them are pure sine wave. Additionally, the surge rating and battery size is much larger than the "consumer' models.

I just measured the power draw from my 2010 3.2 GHz MP (5770) and it peaked out at 235W when running 32 bit Geekbench. This was for a bare bones MP............... i.e. no additional HD's other than the stock 1 TB. I'm figuring another ~25 Watts after I add the data HD's. My monitor is a 24" ACD which runs ~100W. Will also have an additional external drive which might add another ~100W. So, the overall power budget will be ~500W at full load (worst case). The setup will probably run more like 250W most of the time but you have to size the UPS for worst case conditions.

Anyway, here's a link to the 1KW UPS which would provide 2x the power capacity of the WC condition. This is probably a bit overkill and the 700W unit would likely be totally sufficient even for a 500W WC load.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/smart-app-ups/pp-series/PP1500SWT2.html

Note: Provantage sells this unit for $273 + shipping which is ~$33 to Az.

Cheers
JohnG

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of have to think a second to see if you want a new pristine Unit, or a scuffed possibly dented refurbished Pure Sine APC 1400/1500 for $180-250.

We've been telling people to step up to a used big APC Smart UPS, but having something in the range new might get them to step over to those.

Since people would always like to be the first to fart in their $750-1000 Hermann Miller chair than buying used for $250-350. And the same holds true for soo many other products.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Sort of have to think a second to see if you want a new pristine Unit, or a scuffed possibly dented refurbished Pure Sine APC 1400/1500 for $180-250.

We've been telling people to step up to a used big APC Smart UPS, but having something in the range new might get them to step over to those.

Since people would always like to be the first to fart in their $750-1000 Hermann Miller chair than buying used for $250-350. And the same holds true for soo many other products.
Assuming these new units work as advertised, it would offer an alternative. But I'd still go for a refurbished unit that outputs a pure sine wave, as the new CyberPower series in question is still a compromise vs. pure sine wave. Period.

So those in the market for a UPS, please don't forget that. ;)

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
life popped up tonight... wasn't able to do any video but here's the skinny:

Works flawlessly. Jumped into 'test' mode where it runs on battery and it reported ~19 minutes of juice running a Hex-core MacPro, 4 hard drives, and TWO 27" Apple Cinema Displays!

No buzzing on battery and just a barely audible fan increase on the UPS.

It's awesome. I'm so happy this worked out.

I'll try to get an iPhone video up tomorrow. It's really nice.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008

Works flawlessly. Jumped into 'test' mode where it runs on battery and it reported ~19 minutes of juice running a Hex-core MacPro, 4 hard drives, and TWO 27" Apple Cinema Displays!

Yay, no buzzing :) Thanks for posting your impressions so far. I'm guessing the no buzzing noise indicates that the adaptive sinewave technology is actually working, as promised, but only time will tell obviously.

I look forward to your video whenever you can. I've already placed an order at Amazon but seems like it won't ship for a few weeks.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Has anyone stumbled across an output waveform of CyberPower's "Adaptive Sinewave?"

Just curious.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

Sounds good. :)

If you would, keep a sharp eye on it, and let us know how it goes (see if it's consistent over time). ;)

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
After reading through some of Cyberpower's tech specs, I noticed their "Green UPS technology."

During normal power mode the GreenPower UPS™ design bypasses the Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) and Transformer.

Does this mean you'd need a voltage regulator as well, or would the system switch on during a power sag or spike? I'm talking about slight variations in power, not the large surges or full brown/blackouts. Any ideas? Do other UPS systems do the same thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.