Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF%20Expert%20for%20iPad.png

Hello guys,

We're glad to inform you that Readdle has just released PDF Expert for iPad, which combines professional PDF reader and powerful file management in one iPad application.

The main focus of PDF Expert is the extensive annotation capabilities: highlight text, create notes, draw with a finger, strike-through, underline and copy text. All the changes are saved being compatible with Preview and Adobe Acrobat Reader.

PDF Expert for iPad focuses on solving various tasks that many people face daily. Managers and executives can proofread and correct PDF documents on the iPad screen; students are able to make notes and drawings right on the textbook page while on lecture; scientist can quickly review tech article and highlight important paragraphs.

To handle these tasks PDF Expert for iPad supports different types of PDF annotations. In addition to highlights and notes, user can strike-through, underline and copy text as well as draw right on the PDF page. The latter function is widely used to highlight text in scanned bitmap documents as well as for handwritten notes.Online storages are perfect complement to the iPad, therefore PDF Expert for iPad can connect to Dropbox, GoogleDocs and MobileMe iDisk directly. User can download document, review, annotate it and put back online - all within several finger taps.

Another benefit of PDF Expert for iPad is the ability to edit PDF annotations created in Apple Preview or Adobe Acrobat Reader. The function works vice versa too, thus annotations made on iPad could be changed on the Mac or Windows computer.

Online storages are perfect complement to the iPad, therefore PDF Expert for iPad can connect to Dropbox, GoogleDocs and MobileMe iDisk directly. User can download document, review, annotate it and put back online - all within several finger taps.

PDF Expert for iPad is available on the Apple App Store at the introductory price $4.99.

http://itunes.com/apps/pdfexpertforipad

List-files.png

change-color.png

pdfexpert.png

We'll be glad to hear your feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
The App looks great, so far I've found it works great. It's just what I've needed on my iPad.

lillumultipass

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Hi,

how does it compare with iAnnotatePdf which, to my knowledge, was the 1st such app, or Goodreader for that matter, which has recently added highlighting capabilities (albeit a bit crude for my liling...)?

Thanks!

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Good Reader is the ultimate app. It might not be perfect in everything it does but it does many many things well. Instead of multiple apps, I like to use Good Reader only. So much I can do with it. Saves app space.

imcquill

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
I think PDF Expert will become my favourite designed app for pdf annotation. It has a nice sparse design, but is still powerful.

Goodreader is not for people who really need PDF annotation. iAnnotate is powerful but the interface sometimes gets in your way. I find PDFExpert to be the "closest" to having a nice UI that doesn't get in your way, but is still powerful. It still has some quirks and bugs in the first version, but I'm much more hopeful that those will get fixed than I am that iAnnotate will be able to come up with UI that doesn't get in your way.

Uhaa008

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
iAnnotate - one man's meat....

But for me the killer feature is that the tab bar is there as it allow me to jump from paper to paper in meetings. Just perfect.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
I'm really impressed with this app and it has replaced all the other PDF apps I had on my iPad....iAnnotate, fast PDF, goodreader et al...

Simpe UI, not glitchy or jumpy, really easy to use annotation and highlighting which transfer very faithfully to Preview in my Macbook pro.

Have swapped form airsharing to readdle docs now too as they work together so well.

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Does it use the built-in PDF engine, or a custom one? If it's a custom one, how well does it handle large PDFs?

I have some large PDFs (> 10 MB, which is not big by computer standards), and every reader I've tried besides GoodReader takes quite a while to zoom and move around. GoodReader's custom engine isn't perfect, but it's considerably snappier than the others. How does this one's engine compare?

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Does it use the built-in PDF engine, or a custom one? If it's a custom one, how well does it handle large PDFs?

I have some large PDFs (> 10 MB, which is not big by computer standards), and every reader I've tried besides GoodReader takes quite a while to zoom and move around. GoodReader's custom engine isn't perfect, but it's considerably snappier than the others. How does this one's engine compare?

PDF Expert got a custom engine. It was designed to find a balance between rendering speed and large files handling. In terms of comparing to GoodReader, on some PDF files goodreader may be a bit faster, while on others PDF Expert is showing great speed advantage.
We make an accent on a clean UI and good work flow while using PDF Expert.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert for iPad 1.1 is out

To keep you updated,

The new version of PDF Expert for iPad was released.
It creates PDF annotations summary that lets people quickly overview all highlights, notes and other annotations across the opened document. Also, a new version displays even more PDF annotations types like text, lines, arrows etc. This update is available for all existing customers.

In addition, we wanted to make a sweet bonus for all iPad users by releasing new web-browser named Terra. It's absolutely free and features:
-unlimited tabs
-saving pages for offline mode
-text search
-private mode
-password protection and much more.

Check it out at: http://itunes.apple.com/app/terra-web-browser-tabs-full/id394704159?mt=8

Stay with Readdle to get best apps and services.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Just want to make sure - does this leave the text as is when annotating/highlighting/etc.?

I forget which, but I know one of the popular apps converts it all to an image and then overlays the highlights on that. I need something that leaves the text as text (assuming it started as text of course, rather than a scan). :)

If so, and since you include tabs for multiple documents, then this sounds great to me!

imcquill

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
kenmarable said:
Just want to make sure - does this leave the text as is when annotating/highlighting/etc.?

I forget which, but I know one of the popular apps converts it all to an image and then overlays the highlights on that. I need something that leaves the text as text (assuming it started as text of course, rather than a scan). :)

If so, and since you include tabs for multiple documents, then this sounds great to me!

It does leave the text in. Converting it to images is bad for my purposes also. It integrate perfectly with Adobe Reader and Preview.

Milan

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
I really only enjoy iPad apps that are aesthetically pleasing. For PDFs I've tried iBooks, GoodReader and PDF Expert so far. The last two I have tried because I wanted to be able to add annotations. GoodReader is horribly overloaded and sluggy. PDF Expert is much better and it looks really nice.

The only complaint I have with PDF Expert is that when zooming and scroling when zoomed in the renderer seems to have trouble catching on. Also changing the page is jerky. It's not nearly as smooth as in iBooks. This kind of ruins the experience. That's why I'm sticking to iBooks for viewing PDFs for now. It would be nice if those shortcommings could somehow be fixed.

I also would love to see an option to turn off the overlayed page numbers when changing pages. They get in the way sometimes and I have to wait several seconds before they disappear.

appleisler

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Hobart, Australia
wasted my money

I got this app today and was most disappointed to discover that all my course notes are encrypted PDFs meaning that this app won't let me annotate them at all rendering it totally useless for studying. :(

It didn't even occur to me to check that before I bought it so its my bad luck but still I'm bummed :(

PaKo7

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
Removing Password Encryption from PDF Files

On a Mac (running MacOS 10.6), you can simply open the PDF in Preview and save a copy that does not have password encryption. Then annotations should work.

appleisler

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Hobart, Australia
I wish....

On a Mac (running MacOS 10.6), you can simply open the PDF in Preview and save a copy that does not have password encryption. Then annotations should work.

I don't have a mac, I have an ancient Windows PC running XP and Adobe Reader 8 - I'm not even sure what Preview is or if there is an equivalent method for windows??

Surely if it were that easy to get around encryption there would be little point in it?

THiPad

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
I LOVE PDF Expert...thanks for such a great iPad product!!!

(former GoodReader user)

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert Gets Even Better with Signature and Text Notes Support

PDF%20Expert%20for%20iPad.png

The latest version of PDF Expert for iPad extends the app’s annotation capabilities by allowing you to sign documents with only a couple of taps. Simply tap the “Signature” button at the top of the screen to begin the signature creation process, sign your name in the open space using your finger or a stylus, and then tap “Save.” Now you will be able to add your signature to any portion of a PDF by tapping and holding on an open space, and then tapping the “Signature” button in the pop-up menu.
Signatures can be manipulated in a variety of ways, such as color, line size, and text size, and can be moved around even after placing them.

PDF Expert also now features the ability to add text directly onto a PDF, making filling out scanned PDF forms ridiculously easy. Just like adding signatures, all you have to do is tap and hold on an open space, and then select “Text” from the pop-up menu. Doing so will bring you into a note-like creation area where you can type up as much or as little text as you want, and have it placed right on the PDF. After creating your text, you can still change the size, color, and placement of it.

Full support for PDF Forms will be available in the next update.

The update is FREE for existing customers, setting new customers back just $4.99.

iTunes link

Here are some screenshots:

Filling in scanned forms
6.PNG

Adding Signature
11.PNG

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert for iPad 2.0 adds support for PDF Forms and DropBox sync

Hello!

We've got breaking news!

Readdle has finally released PDF Expert for iPad 2.0, which lets fill PDF Forms on the iPad. This is the only one and the first application on the App Store, which does that. People will be able to fill in their tax, insurance, medical and other forms within seconds on their iPads. PDF Expert for iPad also supports calculated fields.

In addition, PDF Expert for iPad got two-way sync with DropBox. So the users can enjoy even better experience working with cloud storages on their iPads.

Both of these features are unique for the AppStore.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Please add smooth vertical scrolling (I.e., the ability to have continuous scrolling rather than automatic jumping from one page to the next). Add this and you guys have nailed it IMO.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert for iPad 2.2 released

icon.png

Hi guys,

I am glad to announce that PDF Expert for iPad 2.1 has been approved by Apply and just hit the AppStore.

The new update features:
- Static Adobe LiveCycle forms
- "Submit" and "E-mail" actions
- More than 100 small improvements related to sync, annotations and forms.
- SugarSync Support
- Annotation of encrypted PDFs

Web-site to learn more: http://readdle.com

AppStore link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

As always, we will be glad to hear your feedback and suggestions in order to make a perfect app.

Last edited:

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Your title says 2.2 and your message says 2.1 has been released. Which is it? I have 2.1 but have not updated in the past day and I'm not seeing a 2.2 update in the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.