Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi iTunes users,

When using the iTunes application to listen to music, watch videos/podcasts, I find that the volume is far too low despite already maxing out the volume adjustments in iTunes. In fact, I can't imagine anyone turning down the volume adjustments to say the middle, as they would not be able to hear much.

Therefore, to compensate, what I always have to do is turn up the speaker volume on my iMac from 4 notch to 8 notch (there are 16 notches in total). The problem now is that the system volume is too loud (since it should be on 4 notches). So I would be listening to the podcast at an acceptable volume and suddenly get loud system sounds blaring out.

All other applications like VLC have reasonable volume. Only iTunes has this problem. Does any one else have this problem? Surely, it can't be just me.

Hope someone can help or at least let me know if this is a standard problem.

JC

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I can't say I have noticed any problem like that with iTunes. But you are right to keep it's volume at max.
However, make sure you have soundcheck and sound enhancer turned off. As well as any EQ stuff. It's all crap and all messes with the level in some way.

Also, if you go to your system sound preferences, you'll see under 'Sound Effects' that you have a separate level fader for your alert sounds. It appears you might want to move that down some?

Hope that helps :)

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi Luap!

Thank you for your reply! So it seems that the problem is limited to me then. Odd. As I mentioned, it's not a severe problem. Some people might not even consider this an issue. But it just seems the volume range is a bit odd, since I can't imagine anyone not using the max volume already.

This is similar to the brightness issue, where I am consistently using the lowest brightness. I can't imagine very many people using the higher brightness settings.

Yet again another unresolved issue. One of many many...

(Getting very few replies on Mac Rumor, probably because it's too popular and posts don't get much exposure before being moved to the next page. Might need to find a smaller forum next time.)

luca1234

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Hey, im experiencing the same problem with my itunes. Im pretty sure it had to do with skype. I answered a call and the volume was reduced like it usually does, except when the call was ended it didnt go back up. And i recieved a second call and it decreased again only to not increase to its regular volume again. vicious cycle. Lemme know if you find anything out.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
No I don't have Skype installed. Moreover, I've bought another Mac with fresh install of Lion and still have the same "problem". So I can only deduce that it's a matter of personal opinion.

Hope you find an answer to your problem.

SVI

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Solution

I found that the volume reduced after using Skype. I quit Sky, then itunes. I then restarted itunes without Skype and problem solved. I am now running skype and no issues. But it might reoccur when I receive another call :( Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.