Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 2, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1
MicroApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Confused about No Hard Drive in New Apple TV?

If I rent a TV Show from iTunes on the Apple TV, where is it stored??? There is no harddrive in this apple TV correct? Also if I buy a movie on my computer, and I want it on my Apple TV, I have to leave my computer on to stream it or can I download/sync it on there, and then not have to have my computer on while watching?

Thanks.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
rprebel
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
There actually is a small hard drive in it, to store the rentals. It just doesn't have dedicated long term storage as an option.
rprebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
There is 8Gb of storage on the ATV2. It is used for caching movies and other media. My guess is if you are streaming a movie from your home computer, you can turn it off once the ATV2 has cached or buffered the whole thing. If you rent a TV show from iTunes, it is downloaded to the ATV2 for future playback, but only after you started watching it.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:03 PM   #4
MicroApple
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I see, well, this is disappointing.... almost makes me want to buy a Roku instead. I can't believe Apple the company about simplicity wants you to have to keep two devices on to watch a freakin movie from iTunes (their own service).

What's steve going to announce next year?

One Device. ATV3

*cheers and applause*

I understand where harddrive can be an issue but come on, they could stream iTunes movies (like netflix) instead of harddrive storage (instead they make you download the whole file)
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
I understand where harddrive can be an issue but come on, they could stream iTunes movies (like netflix) instead of harddrive storage (instead they make you download the whole file)
Since Netflix doesn't sell movies, your comparison makes little sense. Maybe Amazon's On Demand service and a Roku box is more suited for you.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
MicroApple
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Since Netflix doesn't sell movies, your comparison makes little sense. Maybe Amazon's On Demand service and a Roku box is more suited for you.
I'm saying that steaming movies (even though you bought them) on this model would have been a nice additional feature. It doesnt change the fact that you can download it on your Mac, but how is streaming from your Mac or steaming directly from iTunes different? It's different because its stored locally on your Mac, but you could do that anyways, streaming would be optional.


Yeah Roku is perfect, except it doesn't work with my iPhone which I want also. Sigh
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:23 PM   #7
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
It comes down to this, the new AppleTV is not for everyone. You can't make everyone happy.

Even if they included a HDD in it you would still have people complaining about they don't have enough space to store all the movies on it especially when it comes to HD Content. I have 2 External 2TB HDDs and I still need more space. I've had to backup movies I don't watch all the time to DVDs just so I can store other movies.
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
I can't believe Apple the company about simplicity wants you to have to keep two devices on to watch a freakin movie from iTunes (their own service).
Actually the new apple tv has made my home more simplistic. Instead of loading movies onto 4 different devices, all 4 of my apple tvs stream from one source. My original plan was a htpc in each room, but at this price point, the 4 apple tv comes out to the price of one htpc
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:26 PM   #9
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
Actually the new apple tv has made my home more simplistic. Instead of loading movies onto 4 different devices, all 4 of my apple tvs stream from one source. My original plan was a htpc in each room, but at this price point, the 4 apple tv comes out to the price of one htpc
Exactly my point. I am thinking of going ahead and getting two more of them. Right now I've been using XBOX 360s to stream movies.
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
HT Guy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I have never had an Amazon on-demand movie work well on the Roku. The video stutters and it will not stream HD. Since the Roku worked well with HD on Netflix, I thought the problem was on Amazon's side. My ISP is Fios so I know that is not the problem.
HT Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
HT Guy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Nevermind... Posted in the wrong thread.
HT Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
I see, well, this is disappointing.... almost makes me want to buy a Roku instead. I can't believe Apple the company about simplicity wants you to have to keep two devices on to watch a freakin movie from iTunes (their own service).

What's steve going to announce next year?

One Device. ATV3

*cheers and applause*

I understand where harddrive can be an issue but come on, they could stream iTunes movies (like netflix) instead of harddrive storage (instead they make you download the whole file)
It's better than keeping the two devices in sync with each other. That's what the old TV made you do. Your computer is supposed to be on at all times unless it's a laptop. I don't understand how it's not simple to you. Netflix is primarily a DVD/Blu-Ray rental service. They send you the whole disc(s). Yes, they have streaming services available. The new TV is a rent and stream box. People would rather stream than sync content back and forth. You only need to keep two devices on if you are streaming purchased content from computer to TV. If you want to rent something, you only need one device. And that's what the new TV does. It's primarily a renting and streaming box. No long term storage like the older TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
I'm saying that steaming movies (even though you bought them) on this model would have been a nice additional feature. It doesnt change the fact that you can download it on your Mac, but how is streaming from your Mac or steaming directly from iTunes different? It's different because its stored locally on your Mac, but you could do that anyways, streaming would be optional.


Yeah Roku is perfect, except it doesn't work with my iPhone which I want also. Sigh
You have wrong logic here. If you bought a movie, iTunes will download the whole thing. You can then watch it on your computer, iDevice or any TV (new or old one). If you rent it, you can either rent it on your computer and watch it or rent it from your TV and watch it.

If you want to be able to stream your purchased content directly from iTunes, that's not going to happen. Apple doesn't have that much storage and bandwidth to do that for you.
__________________
YouTube | Twitter
MacBook Air | iPhone 5 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme 802.11ac | iPad signed by Steve Wozniak

Last edited by SnowLeopard2008; Oct 2, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Tor Eckman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imsuperjp View Post
Actually the new apple tv has made my home more simplistic. Instead of loading movies onto 4 different devices, all 4 of my apple tvs stream from one source. My original plan was a htpc in each room, but at this price point, the 4 apple tv comes out to the price of one htpc
This! I'm happy to have one central location for storage and the new Apple TV at a $99.00 price point. Also, I suspect the rental deal Apple struck with the studios was centered on the fact that the new Apple TV can't actually store movies.
Tor Eckman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:13 PM   #14
chapindad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
No Hard Drive, means a lower price point. At $99 I can afford 2 of them for my other rooms. And I love the design. I have one computer with all my content and everything else just streams from it. I do not have to "Sync" to everything which is crazy.

Also, remember that the itunes cloud will probably be here next year and your ATV will be able to stream from the cloud....
chapindad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buzzing Hard Drive in Mac Pro... Ben1l Mac Pro 5 Jul 15, 2011 07:24 AM
Wanting to put stock Toshiba hard drive in OptiBay.. need to get those prongs off Sardukar MacBook Pro 5 May 14, 2011 10:08 AM
Really confused about external hard drives Help!! medicarcher Mac Peripherals 7 Jan 31, 2010 11:32 PM
Apple says no to Samsung's hybrid flash hard drives in new ... MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 0 Dec 22, 2006 06:12 AM
Just have to bitch about Fujitsu hard drives in new 12" PB California Buying Tips and Advice 5 Aug 19, 2006 04:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC