Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Well have been using my new Apple TV and the netflix playback is awful.

It keeps stopping and stuttering every couple of minutes.

My PS3 never has this issue and neither does my 360. I'm using a new airport extreme and comcast 20mb Internet.

Any solutions? I'd rather not use my ps3 even though it works the best.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
How are your Xbox 360 & PS3 connected? Wire is faster than WiFi try using a LAN cable

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You have an ISP or Wi-fi problem. I'm on a 4Mbps connection and there's no stuttering. In fact, the new Apple TV buffers more than any other Netflix box I own. It's buffer storage is huge compared to other boxes.

Change your AirPort's channel and separate out your 5 and 2.4ghz networks.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I have no issues with mine.

I like playback on AppleTV better than my XBOX 360 and it uses less power to run the device. Power saving right there.

Only complaint I have with AppleTV interface is that you cannot see what you have viewed for TV Episodes like XBOX 360 does.

All my connections are connected hardwired and I am on a 40Mbit Road Runner connection.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
You have an ISP or Wi-fi problem. I'm on a 4Mbps connection and there's no stuttering. In fact, the new Apple TV buffers more than any other Netflix box I own. It's buffer storage is huge compared to other boxes.

Change your AirPort's channel and separate out your 5 and 2.4ghz networks.

I'd have to agree with you. I have AT&T 6.0 dsl and usually get around 5.50 down according to speedtest.net. I just got my apple tv this afternoon for my daughter, got it setup on wifi as opposed to running a cat 5 drop behind my tv. I have experienced no issues at all! I'm using a belkin wireless N router with 2.4 and 5 ghz both enabled. I haven't had a single buffering issue at all. The movies we have watched started out immediately and played straight through without a problem. With a 20mbps connection you should have no issues whatsoever! Even with a wireless G router! It's got to be some kind of issue with your ISP. Are you using dhcp?? Is there anything else going on your network when this is occurring? With that kind of speed you'd have to have something killing your bandwidth somewhere! On 6.0 dsl I was able to have my apple tv, iPhone 4
And 2 MacBooks all going at the same time with no issues. Sorry to ramble on but I'd check with your ISP if I were you! Have you tried just streaming netflix from your computer? I guess that'd be one way to start eliminating issues. Make sure you do it on wireless.

chapindad

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Depending on when your "N" router was created, not all "N"s are to spec. Switch it to "G" and see if that clears it up and then check for a firmware upgrade on your router...

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
Netflix on the ATV2 works great for me. I am watching it right now. I have watched at least 4 movies today and have encountered no problems. I do have Verizon Fios as an ISP and have really good service.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Am I correct in saying that netflix doesn't have a HD section so to speak. It's just some movies will output in HD if your bandwidth will support it??

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I have watched multiple shows, movies, etc and had no problems at all! I think it looks great.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Netflix quality sucks, IMO. Initial impressions are disappointing to say the least. For perspective, I have a 360, PS3, and Wii all with Netflix and all connected wirelessly to my airport extreme. I have cable Internet with a 6mbps connection. The PS3 wins hands down among all devices, including the ATV2. Watching two episodes of Nip/Tuck which are HD streaming and the atv has a noticeably darker picture and is far more grainy. It's pretty much a dark sd vs the crystal clear version on the PS3. Same network connection on both devices. Atv loses big time, unfortunately. No buffer issues with atv, just picture quality sucks compared to other devices.

Oh, and the atv doesn't remember which episode you left off with. Unlike every other device with netflix which remembers and presents you with the next episode where you left off.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Works perfect. Must be something with your setup.

Yeah, mine works too. I wasnt saying otherwise. Do you have another device with netflix streaming to compare it to?

Both devices are connected via hdmi to the same receiver which is connected via hdmi to the tv. Both devices use the same wireless network connection. Can you tell me why there's a huge disparity in quality? It's not the setup, at least in my situation.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
Am I correct in saying that netflix doesn't have a HD section so to speak. It's just some movies will output in HD if your bandwidth will support it??

Well they something they call "HD". In terms of actually numbers its no where near the kind of output a raw Blu-Ray. There have also said they are working on 5.1 sound. No word on when that is going to actually happen though.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
They are using 802.11g. The apple tv uses N so I thought it would be better?

The problem is that not all channels (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) work all that well. Congestion from other networks can be a problem, and some channels just don't travel all that well. As you try to pump up the data rate, it means that you can actually start losing more packets than before.

For me, there's ~2 channels in each band that work well, and the rest are poor. And on the 5Ghz band, if I am not using those channels, I can get problems with lost/delayed packets. This leads to "lag" in network games, stuttering in video, and so on.

My ATV actually does pretty well on the 5Ghz band, beating out my 360 which is on the 2.4Ghz band. But I've also spent a couple hours testing the channels in my home environment to see which ones get the best reception.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah, mine works too. I wasnt saying otherwise. Do you have another device with netflix streaming to compare it to?

Both devices are connected via hdmi to the same receiver which is connected via hdmi to the tv. Both devices use the same wireless network connection. Can you tell me why there's a huge disparity in quality? It's not the setup, at least in my situation.

Sorry wasn't talking to you. :D

If I was I would have quoted you like I am doing now. I just read the OP's post and replied to it.

But to answer your question I have Netflix on the 360 and Wii.

ATV beats 360 in my book and is no worse in terms of picture quality.

If you're seeing major differences then it is probably your setup and eyeballs.

IN my experience different hardware combinations produce different results. And everyone sees things differently as well.

Plus if you're trying to compare side by side and are streaming a few streams simultaneously over a 6 mbps connection and then switching inputs one stream could easily get degraded. Not to mention how highly variable wireless networks are from home to home and area to area inside a home.

There's alot of variables in play here.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Sorry wasn't talking to you. :D

If I was I would have quoted you like I am doing now. I just read the OP's post and replied to it.

But to answer your question I have Netflix on the 360 and Wii.

ATV beats 360 in my book and is no worse in terms of picture quality.

If you're seeing major differences then it is probably your setup and eyeballs.

IN my experience different hardware combinations produce different results. And everyone sees things differently as well.

Plus if you're trying to compare side by side and are streaming a few streams simultaneously over a 6 mbps connection and then switching inputs one stream could easily get degraded. Not to mention how highly variable wireless networks are from home to home and area to area inside a home.

There's alot of variables in play here.

Well I'm not giving up on netflix on atv. But when I first fired it up there was an immediate difference in pq. Very dark and contrasty. I shut down the atv, fired up ps3 and pq was perfect (not streaming simultaneously to compare)

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
My ATVs are wired via ethernet and the speed and quality of Netflix is great.

SR2

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Netflix quality sucks, IMO. Initial impressions are disappointing to say the least. For perspective, I have a 360, PS3, and Wii all with Netflix and all connected wirelessly to my airport extreme. I have cable Internet with a 6mbps connection. The PS3 wins hands down among all devices, including the ATV2. Watching two episodes of Nip/Tuck which are HD streaming and the atv has a noticeably darker picture and is far more grainy. It's pretty much a dark sd vs the crystal clear version on the PS3. Same network connection on both devices. Atv loses big time, unfortunately. No buffer issues with atv, just picture quality sucks compared to other devices.

Oh, and the atv doesn't remember which episode you left off with. Unlike every other device with netflix which remembers and presents you with the next episode where you left off.

I agree with you about netflix quality, it's even worse than itunes videos.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Netflix playback over my ATV has been superior to both my PS3 and my Roku. All three run off of a Wi-Fi connection and only the ATV is free from frequent re-buffering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.