Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Recently bought a Wireless-N router and since then, Home Sharing hasn't worked between any of the Macs in the house. Just got Apple TV 2, and it would be a whole lot better if Home Sharing worked.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Home Sharing just doesn't show up, anywhere. I've reconfigured the accounts and everything.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Same issue here. Home sharing is buggy. Have had problems with wired and wireless to the ATV 2.

After waking the Atv2 from sleep, it loses the connection to my computer/library some times. Very annoying.

Sometimes requires me to turn off and then back on homesharing and or iTunes.

zephr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Resetting the router sounds like the best bet; I've tried everything else.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I can't get homesharing working.. My ATV can see my Mac library, and when I click on it to go, it says Connecting to my Library..... and then it crashes and goes back to the main menu?

Got It to Work: I restarted iTunes 10 like 5 times and my ATV and now it works.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
OK, last question I promise, how do I get Wake on Demand working? Its set up on my mac mini for wireless and ethernet. My Mac Mini is connected by Wifi to my router, and my ATV is connected by a a cable to my router. When I go to the "Computers" heading on my ATV I don't see my Mac Mini on there when it is asleep only when awake. Will wake on demand work?

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
MicroApple said:
OK, last question I promise, how do I get Wake on Demand working? Its set up on my mac mini for wireless and ethernet. My Mac Mini is connected by Wifi to my router, and my ATV is connected by a a cable to my router. When I go to the "Computers" heading on my ATV I don't see my Mac Mini on there when it is asleep only when awake. Will wake on demand work?

I think you have to have an Airport Extreme router if you want to have the network wake your Mac.

If you look at the Power Saver functions in the Preferences pane, you can set your Mac to wake and sleep on a schedule. I set my iMac to wake at 5 pm and sleep at 12 am. I then set the screen to be off if not used in 15 minutes. Using this schedule allows my Mac to be awake when I normally might use an Apple TV.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I think you have to have an Airport Extreme router if you want to have the network wake your Mac.

If you look at the Power Saver functions in the Preferences pane, you can set your Mac to wake and sleep on a schedule. I set my iMac to wake at 5 pm and sleep at 12 am. I then set the screen to be off if not used in 15 minutes. Using this schedule allows my Mac to be awake when I normally might use an Apple TV.

Good idea, looks like thats my only option. I have a question if I set my Mac Mini to:

Be on Sleep from 7 PM to 3PM (next day)

And Be awake from 3 PM to 7 PM (same day)

will this kill my mac mini ( its from fall 2009). Meaning will it die faster from being on sleep and being awake for those time periods every day?

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
MicroApple said:
Good idea, looks like thats my only option. I have a question if I set my Mac Mini to:

Be on Sleep from 7 PM to 3PM (next day)

And Be awake from 3 PM to 7 PM (same day)

will this kill my mac mini ( its from fall 2009). Meaning will it die faster from being on sleep and being awake for those time periods every day?

I have to assume that this will result to more wear and tear on my Mac. However, as technology marches ever onward I am sure we will have our computers on all the time to help us manage our lives.

The cost/benefit of using your Mac Mini this way is an individual decision. I make myself feel better by using my power saver on the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.