Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1
tonka2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Will DSL 3.0 mbps work well with ATV?

That is my question, and thanks in advance of any replies.
__________________
Have a nice day,
Herb
tonka2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
guitargoddsjm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Send a message via AIM to guitargoddsjm
Nobody can really say for sure, but I'm going to say no, streaming from Netflix & Apple won't work particularly well. But if you have a good Wireless-N router, you could use it for streaming content within your house.

I have a 22Mbps line w/ Comcast, and I've been watching various types of content on my new AppleTV. Intra-network streaming works very well and it buffers fairly quickly, but streaming from the internet can be very slow. Netflix typically takes 45-60 seconds for an initial buffer, and then has to rebuffer within the first minute of playing the content. Youtube videos can take a long time to buffer as well, I tried to watch a 60 second video last night that took at least 60 seconds to buffer.

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC, Netflix requires a 5Mbps connection for streaming... I'm not sure if Apple has similar requirements.
guitargoddsjm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
It works just fine. I have that package and it takes less than 60 seconds to start playing on Netflix.
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
MicroApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Don't have an Apple TV yet. But on a 3mbps LAN connection my Xbox streams HD netflix movies without stopping to buffer throughout the entire movie. So yea the Apple TV should be fine.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:37 AM   #5
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The Apple TV buffers to the built in 8GB flash RAM so yes it will play the same as if you had a faster connection. The only difference is how long you will have to wait before a stream starts. With a 6 mbps connection, it starts playing in just a few seconds.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6
liquidsuns
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I only have a 1.5mbps line and Netflix works fne on my xbox. I only get about two bars of picture quality (out of four), but it's fine and sometimes it even streams in HD for a bit. YouTube also works fine for me and starts streaming with almost no wait time.

Streaming from your own PC has nothing to do with your Internet speed. Even if everything is wireless, you should have absolutely no problem streaming HD, probably even to multiple tvs at once.

So yeah, you should have no problems with your set up. Maybe don't expect HD from netflix all the time and there might be a bit of a wait for iTunes rentals (which doesn't adjust quality for speed), but it'll all work great.
liquidsuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
iMJustAGuy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Beach, FL
It doesn't matter what your speed is for streaming from iTunes. Netflix states 6mbps for HD.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:19 PM   #8
MicroApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
OK, I just got my Apple TV on my 3 MBPS DSL. Netflix streams in HD ONLY by wire, even my Wireless N router in the same room is crapp quality. Itunes works fine.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:28 PM   #9
iMJustAGuy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
OK, I just got my Apple TV on my 3 MBPS DSL. Netflix streams in HD ONLY by wire, even my Wireless N router in the same room is crapp quality. Itunes works fine.
It's not your signal, it's (as I already stated) the fact that Netflix states that it needs at/around 6mb to play HD. It's quite unfortunate for those that can't play HD because there are often times a very big, noticable difference in quality in HD and SD on Netflix.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:41 PM   #10
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy;
It's not your signal, it's (as I already stated) the fact that Netflix states that it needs at/around 6mb to play HD. It's quite unfortunate for those that can't play HD because there are often times a very big, noticable difference in quality in HD and SD on Netflix.
How would you tell the difference cause I use 3 Mbps connection and Netflix looks fine on my HDTV through appletv
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:45 PM   #11
MicroApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy View Post
It's not your signal, it's (as I already stated) the fact that Netflix states that it needs at/around 6mb to play HD. It's quite unfortunate for those that can't play HD because there are often times a very big, noticable difference in quality in HD and SD on Netflix.
Actually it is my signal if you didn't understand me.

I get HD 100% all the time on 3mbps DSL if I connect it to my router by wire. If I use wireless N it doesn't do HD.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:45 PM   #12
MicroApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
How would you tell the difference cause I use 3 Mbps connection and Netflix looks fine on my HDTV through appletv
You can tell when its HD
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:58 PM   #13
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple;
You can tell when its HD
Of course I can see the difference
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 03:43 PM   #14
iMJustAGuy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
Actually it is my signal if you didn't understand me.

I get HD 100% all the time on 3mbps DSL if I connect it to my router by wire. If I use wireless N it doesn't do HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
How would you tell the difference cause I use 3 Mbps connection and Netflix looks fine on my HDTV through appletv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
You can tell when its HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
Of course I can see the difference


I'm not one of those who care about and "can most definitely" tell the difference between 1080 and 720, in fact, I can BARELY tell the difference. However, I can most CERTAINLY tell the difference between Netflix "HD" and SD. The difference is that of watching a youtube video in 720 and then again in 360. It's big.

I just felt the need to state the previous because I didn't know if you were agreeing with me or being sarcastic, because it's quite clear a difference. And if you have never compared the two, trust me when I say, any "normal" eye could see the difference in a second.

Furthermore, to others that I have not quoted, I can kind of see what you are saying, I have a "15mbps" connection and 50% of the time (via wifi N on PS3 with the LOUSY WRT160N router) my netflix wants to play in SD. That's how I've had experience with the SD. Also, I was only saying the 6mbps for netflix HD because that is what they call a "requirement" on their site for HD. I assume that is just to be on the safe side. I highly doubt, though, that with anything less than 3mbps you will be able to stream in HD.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:19 PM   #15
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy;
I'm not one of those who care about and "can most definitely" tell the difference between 1080 and 720, in fact, I can BARELY tell the difference. However, I can most CERTAINLY tell the difference between Netflix "HD" and SD. The difference is that of watching a youtube video in 720 and then again in 360. It's big.

I just felt the need to state the previous because I didn't know if you were agreeing with me or being sarcastic, because it's quite clear a difference. And if you have never compared the two, trust me when I say, any "normal" eye could see the difference in a second.

Furthermore, to others that I have not quoted, I can kind of see what you are saying, I have a "15mbps" connection and 50% of the time (via wifi N on PS3 with the LOUSY WRT160N router) my netflix wants to play in SD. That's how I've had experience with the SD. Also, I was only saying the 6mbps for netflix HD because that is what they call a "requirement" on their site for HD. I assume that is just to be on the safe side. I highly doubt, though, that with anything less than 3mbps you will be able to stream in HD.
I was just wondering because I only have 3 Mbps service and it seems my Netflix is HD. But I can't say for sure since even 480p DVD looks pretty good on my 50" plasma. With streaming media I'm not sure if it's 720p with ok bit rate or 480p with good bit rate.
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:15 PM   #16
iMJustAGuy
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
I was just wondering because I only have 3 Mbps service and it seems my Netflix is HD. But I can't say for sure since even 480p DVD looks pretty good on my 50" plasma. With streaming media I'm not sure if it's 720p with ok bit rate or 480p with good bit rate.
I think it is variable. I think there are many "levels" of quality when in SD mode because sometimes it's VERY grainy meaning (for whatever reason) it's not getting a good connection/bandwidth at that time, and others (while still in SD) it looks pretty decent. And when it's in HD, I think that is a set quality. I don't know why I would EVER be getting SD when I have a 15mbps connection and it's SD almost 75% of the time.

I can do a speed test.net test and it has been telling me around 8mb lately (which still SHOULD be MORE than enough) where before it was showing my paid for amount... if I go to speakeasy.net it always tells me I'm getting what I pay for. I sure don't feel like I'm getting it with generic usage though, don't even feel like I'm getting 8, for that matter.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:31 PM   #17
tonka2
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Thanks for all the replies, well appreciated:-)
__________________
Have a nice day,
Herb
tonka2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen1 ATV iTunes Store No Longer Work on ANY unit here MagnusVonMagnum Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Apr 21, 2014 03:35 PM
aTV won't work with university network? tanderson11 Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Jan 6, 2014 06:49 PM
Multiple Account Support on ATV - How's It Work? musicpenguy Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Dec 24, 2012 10:52 AM
Does throttling of 10 - 20 mbps LTE mean that you get throttled speads of 2 - 3 mbps? Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 0 Sep 14, 2012 12:40 PM
is there a way to make this work? ATV RolledUp20s MacBook Air 9 Aug 1, 2012 12:21 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC