Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Hello!
I just ordered my 15" aluminum powerbook yesterday :) :) :) :) and I'm looking for a cigarette lighter adapter for when I go on a long drive next weekend. Buying a powerbook has left me with barely any money, and every auto adapter i've found is like, $80. Could anyone recomend me an inexpensive one? Also, would this work, it doesn't seem likely that it could convert a car battery into 110 volts. Thanks:)

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
It's probably a third party power inverter

The Kensington model you are linking to seems like a standard unit - I'm not sure what it's rating is (measured in Watts), however, and this is critical.

I have a 175 watt model from xantrex (Their "Micro-Inverter 175) and it drives most small appliances.

The problem is that these inverters generate heat as they step the power up to 110 V (assuming you want a 110 rather than a 220 V inverter), so they need a decent micro fan to cool themselves before they burn out. (The irony is that your Powerbook power adaptor generates MORE heat as it steps back down!)

Here's a link to a company that supplies the full range of power inverters - get the one that suits your needs, and froogle it for a good price:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/17/p/htc/pt/5/product.asp

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
All-Battery.com would be a good place to look (as evidenced by a Google ad on this thread). I poked around and found some interesting things that might help you.

TEG

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
I just bought an adapter a couple of months ago and it seems that my 12 volt system in my car has some problems powering my PB. I read somewhere that for max. performance power-wise, the cables need to have a certain diameter in the car. Otherwise you'll experience power loss.
So, when you buy a power adaptor, make sure that you can return it if you have problems.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
you should be fine with almost anything

the powerbook charger is one of the lowest watt laptop chargers I have seen (its 45 watts). So as long as the adapter is rate for at least 45 watts you should be fine. Also I don't think there are power adapter you can buy now that are rated lower then 45 watts so almost any of them should work.
As for that one you linked to, I have heard good things about it and they have it for sale at the apple store if you don't want to have to wait for shipping. I personally use a more expensive one $100 i think, Its called the iGo juice and its specially made for laptops and acts as the power-charger it self so don't even have to bring your power-charger that came with your powerbook. If you don't want to spend a lot of $$$$ then just get that one you linked to. :)

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
my new powerbook uses a 65W charger... they used to be 45W. not sure if that makes a difference. i haven't charged the powerbook in the car, though i did charge my ibook using an inverter i bought at walmart (oh, the shame!) on a cross-coujntry trip.

bb

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
betsbillabong said:
my new powerbook uses a 65W charger... they used to be 45W. not sure if that makes a difference. i haven't charged the powerbook in the car, though i did charge my ibook using an inverter i bought at walmart (oh, the shame!) on a cross-coujntry trip.

bb

The 17 and 15 inch PowerBooks use a 65W power adaptor, because of the higher rated batteries, and higher power consuming components (screen etc) compared with the 12 inch, which iirc uses the 45W adaptor.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
paxtonandrew said:
The 17 and 15 inch PowerBooks use a 65W power adaptor, because of the higher rated batteries, and higher power consuming components (screen etc) compared with the 12 inch, which iirc uses the 45W adaptor.

The TiBooks used the 45W adaptor. All the new Aluminum PowerBooks use 65W adaptors. You can use a TiBook's adaptor for a newer PowerBook, but if you try and use it and charge it, you will just drain the battery slowly. It needs to be asleep/off to charge off of the 45W adaptor.

But yes, I just checked and my 12" PowerBook's adaptor says "45W" on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.