Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Enny5
macrumors member

Bluetooth Radiation

Last edited by Enny5; Oct 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Enny5 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 01:59 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Do you have a cell phone or a cordless phone? If so, they are emitting more radiation than your Bluetooth antenna which is "off."
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:00 PM   #3
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Taking it out will void your warranty ...

BTW, you are worried about something insignificant. Do you not use WiFi, cell phone or microwave?
r.j.s is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
AnimaLeo
macrumors 6502

You do realise that all sorts of different forms of radiation is hitting us constantly right?
AnimaLeo is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
mrkramer
macrumors 601

I wouldn't take it out as it will probably void your warrenty. keep it off if you don't use it it saves power, but any radiation from it will be insignificant, I'm pretty sure the background radiation from the sun is a lot worse than any radiation you might get from being in the same room as a computer with bluetooth.
mrkramer is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Enny5
macrumors member

hmm

well as long as it is off and to answer your question i dont use anything wireless in house or at work and we dont use microwave or have one. And i know basic of radiation i just try to limit the dangerous ones like microwave and cell phone and emf.

ok thanks guys
Enny5 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enny5 View Post
well as long as it is off and to answer your question i dont use anything wireless in house or at work and we dont use microwave or have one. And i know basic of radiation i just try to limit the dangerous ones like microwave and cell phone and emf.
There's nothing inherently dangerous about microwave radiation, cell phone radiation, and I don't know what "emf" is. As with almost all RF signals, it depends on the power level.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:01 PM   #8
DouchGod
macrumors regular

Some people are way to paranoid, i carry a phone every day with all it's features turned on. I also sleep next to my wifi router and my room is under an electricity pylon.

So far i'm fine....
DouchGod is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Intell
macrumors P6

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ectrum.svg.png

Looking at the EM Spectrum above; Bluetooth, WiFi, microwave ovens, cordless phones are all in the Microwave portion. These types of radiation are not bad unless they are incredible powerful. The FCC regulates transmissions in this part of the EM spectrum and prevents consumer grade transmitters from putting out harmful amounts of radiation. The mostly harmful stuff is in the UV-X Ray-Y Ray band. These can cause irreversible damage to DNA and other bodily tissues. However, they can be used in safe ways, example a hospital x-ray to check for broken bones. And don't forget, even visible light is a form of radiation.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Food for thought, courtesy of Wikipedia....

A banana equivalent dose is a concept occasionally used by nuclear power proponents[1][2] to place in scale the dangers of radiation by comparing exposures to the radiation generated by a common banana.
Many foods are naturally radioactive, and bananas are particularly so, due to the radioactive potassium-40 they contain. The banana equivalent dose is the radiation exposure received by eating a single banana. Radiation leaks from nuclear plants are often measured in extraordinarily small units (the picocurie, a millionth of a millionth of a curie, is typical). By comparing the exposure from these events to a banana equivalent dose, a more realistic assessment of the actual risk can sometimes be obtained.
The average radiologic profile of bananas is 3520 picocuries per kg, or roughly 520 picocuries per 150g banana.[3] The equivalent dose for 365 bananas (one per day for a year) is 3.6 millirems (36 μSv).
Bananas are radioactive enough to regularly cause false alarms on radiation sensors used to detect possible illegal smuggling of nuclear material at US ports.[4]
Another way to consider the concept is by comparing the risk from radiation-induced cancer to that from cancer from other sources. For instance, a radiation exposure of 10mrems (10,000,000 picorems) increases your risk of death by about one in one million—the same risk as eating 40 tablespoons of peanut butter, or of smoking 1.4 cigarettes.[5]

Last edited by Big-TDI-Guy; Oct 3, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Had to bold the best part up a bit. Hope the OP isn't paranoid...
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Intell
macrumors P6

Big-TDI-Guy, your avatar is very nice in this thread.

I do hope that the OP isn't a paranoid hypochondriac.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:46 PM   #12
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Well how about your smoke/fire/gas detectors. They use a radioactive part in order to detect dangerous conditions.

So do you burn to death or radiate to death?
philipma1957 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Major Reeves
macrumors regular

What about cosmic radiation? What the infrared radiation emitted by your body?

Silly thread requieres silly answer and you sir just got the right to wear a tinfoil suit .

Also beware of flu shots, cell phone towers, radio towers, UHF/VHF emissions, sattelite dishes. Ho and cables, if they're not shielded they leak energy. ONG DOOM, DOOM, DOOM.

Don't take it on the hearth darling, but the joke is on you.
Major Reeves is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Major Reeves
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
Well how about your smoke/fire/gas detectors. They use a radioactive part in order to detect dangerous conditions.

So do you burn to death or radiate to death?
You can build a homemade nuclear reactor with them as well plutonium.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:02 PM   #15
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:

ok thanks guys
You can't really stop cell phone radiation, as there are still broadcast towers. Even if you don't have a cell phone you're still being exposed.

Same thing goes for FM radio, wifi, and broadcast tv.

As other's have pointed out, there is cosmic radiation, and if you have electricity, that is generating radiation.

Not sure what the point is.... But regardless, if your Bluetooth is set to off, it really is off, no need to remove it.

As far as being exposed to radiation, you're being exposed to much more radiation than you would if you just had a cell phone if you live anywhere near a city. Although mankind has done their share, a lot of radiation is from natural sources, actually.

Also, you do realize just running your Mac Pro (or any computer) with no wireless emits radiation, right? Any electronic device, even if not wireless, emits radiation.
goMac is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:25 PM   #16
Major Reeves
macrumors regular

You need one of these

http://depletedcranium.com/FaradaySuit2.jpg

It goes by the name of faraday suite.
You know who Faraday was, right? If not shame on you.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:37 PM   #17
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Reeves View Post
You can build a homemade nuclear reactor with them as well plutonium.
yes there is a long story about such a build by a boy scout. I will look for a link.

wrong link this appears to be one about the same person doing it a second time.

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

here is a better link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

Last edited by philipma1957; Oct 3, 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: new link
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:39 PM   #18
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Sigh, another parent with no clue what the hell radio frequencies are or even what radiation means.

You know what the worst thing people get who work around high power RF? They start to feel a little hotter than usual, because that's all it does is produce low amounts of heat. You would need to be a highly concentrated environment (think of a giant microwave oven and how those are designed to focus energy on a single point) to get any "harmful" doses of radiation from the operating radiation emitted from consumer devices. Even then it would just be your blood boiling, and you would get skin burns. You would not necessarily get a lethal dose of radiation.

You get more harmful radiation by being in sunlight, even with sunscreen applied to your skin!

Stop being a paranoid freak, your children will grow up to be afraid of everything and have serious mental and psychological issues about everything around them. They will never live a normal life because their parents screwed them up so badly when they were younger.

All bluetooth, wifi, cell/wireless phones, radios, microwave ovens, etc are all mandated and tested by multiple independent international health organizations to be safe for human use. On top of that all the consumer level stuff emit such low amounts of energy that the human body is completely immune to any effects. I mean we are giant radioactive salt water reactors ourselves. That is what the human body is!

A microwave oven is shielded and the energy is concentrated on the platter area, it works by heating water molecules, and the amount of energy required to heat those molecules is based on the volume of water inside the thing you are heating up. So basically it takes A LOT of energy to start heating up the water inside the human body. The amount of energy emitted from consumer devices is not high enough to even come close to this level. There is absolutely no harmful radiation involved, it's all completely safe and the resulting energy left inside the food item is the same energy from cooking with a traditional stove/oven. It is not nuclear or something, it's perfectly natural.

Paranoid personality disorder is a real disease, and you should look into getting that checked out. You might pass it on to your kids, and that is no laughing matter. You sound like you are a bad parent and you need help.

Last edited by ovrlrd; Oct 3, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
ovrlrd is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
You get more harmful radiation by being in sunlight, even with sunscreen applied to your skin!
Haha, how did I forget about the sun?

Yeah, the sun emits much more radiation than a cell phone. It's why skin cancer is so common.
goMac is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:43 PM   #20
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Reeves View Post
You need one of these

http://depletedcranium.com/FaradaySuit2.jpg

It goes by the name of faraday suite.
You know who Faraday was, right? If not shame on you.
full speed ahead and damn the torpedos. or was that

Admiral Farragut?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:35 PM   #21
Enny5
macrumors member

hmmm

Enny5 is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:32 AM   #22
Major Reeves
macrumors regular

Quote:
Someone just run away in shame, lol edited 1st post.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland