Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
MicroApple
macrumors regular

Turning Apple TV off?

God I feel like an idiot, but how do you turn this thing off? Is it meant to stay on all the time, I don't see a power button anywhere, and I'd rather not have to unplug it.

Also when I use my Apple TV remote my Mac starts going crazy, how do I unpair it from my Mac.
MicroApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
stridemat

I dont think you do turn it off.

NVM

Last edited by stridemat; Oct 3, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:22 PM   #3
anim8or
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple View Post
God I feel like an idiot, but how do you turn this thing off? Is it meant to stay on all the time, I don't see a power button anywhere, and I'd rather not have to unplug it.

Also when I use my Apple TV remote my Mac starts going crazy, how do I unpair it from my Mac.
Press and hold the 'play' button while on the main menu page.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroApple;
There is a sleep now option under settings and also you can hold down the center button on the remote until it shuts off
doboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
anim8or
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
There is a sleep now option under settings and also you can hold down the center button on the remote until it shuts off
I think there has always been a sleep option hasn't there... its just to cumbersome to navigate to it!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:29 PM   #6
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I'm glad you asked.
I was wondering that myself!
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I found the option to turn off IR under system preferences -> security -> under general (last option, at least for SL)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:33 PM   #8
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anim8or;
I think there has always been a sleep option hasn't there... its just to cumbersome to navigate to it!
Sleep now as in "Sleep Now." Yes that option was always there from start. Also holding down play button doesn't turn off, it' the center button on the directional buttons.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:34 PM   #9
MicroApple
macrumors regular

Alright got it everyone, thanks, now anyone know a guide to pair the Remote.app to the TV i cant get it to work...
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:36 PM   #10
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Alright got it everyone, thanks, now anyone know a guide to pair the Remote.app to the TV i cant get it to work...
Do you ever read the manual? Turn on home sharing for both TV and idevice and make sure on same network. It should do the rest.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:40 PM   #11
MicroApple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do you ever read the manual? Turn on home sharing for both TV and idevice and make sure on same network. It should do the rest.
Too excited, probably a good idea though.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 02:41 PM   #12
OllyW

Quote:
Here you go...

Quote:
Apple TV (2nd generation)

Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the local network that your Apple TV is also connected to.
On Apple TV, select Settings from the main menu, then select General > Remotes > Remote App.
If your Home Sharing account is not set up on your Apple TV, you will be prompted to enable Home Sharing first. (For more information about setting up Home sharing on your Apple TV, read this article.)
Open the Remote app on your mobile device.
Select your Apple TV from the Remote app settings screen.
Remote app will be paired with Apple TV and you can begin browsing Apple TV using Remote app. You can also browse and play from all iTunes libraries that are listed in the Computers section of your Apple TV from within the Remote app.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1947
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:22 PM   #13
HT Guy
macrumors member

My Harmony One remote somehow puts it to sleep even though I don't see a sleep command on the button list.
HT Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:37 AM   #14
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Guy View Post
My Harmony One remote somehow puts it to sleep even though I don't see a sleep command on the button list.
My Harmony One is somehow setting it to 480p when I change to my "Use Apple TV" activity, so I only see a quarter of the display..?? I think it's treating it as an old style Apple TV and sending the wrong command.. What settings did you use for yours? Cheers.
Frosticus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:57 AM   #15
anim8or
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Sleep now as in "Sleep Now." Yes that option was always there from start. Also holding down play button doesn't turn off, it' the center button on the directional buttons.
Depends on which remote you are using... I have the white remote, not the aluminium remote....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 07:35 AM   #16
HT Guy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticus;
My Harmony One is somehow setting it to 480p when I change to my "Use Apple TV" activity, so I only see a quarter of the display..?? I think it's treating it as an old style Apple TV and sending the wrong command.. What settings did you use for yours? Cheers.
I let the Logitech website handle the remote settings. I did not see any video output settings on the ATV2 menu. My Onkyo is getting a 720P signal. Your 480P may be a result of a setting on your receiver or display.
HT Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:28 AM   #17
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Same here. Kind of a nice bonus though lol.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:30 AM   #18
georgee2face
macrumors member

course, keepin it on keeps you logged in to everything. that alone is worth leaving it on for me
georgee2face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:11 AM   #19
tripjammer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgee2face View Post
course, keepin it on keeps you logged in to everything. that alone is worth leaving it on for me
Yeah leave it on...the new Apple TV only pulls 6 watts of power right?

leave it on!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:20 AM   #20
Tu13es
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post

leave it on!
I've read about 2.5W under load, and less than that when idle. I haven't hooked up my Kill-a-watt to verify yet, though.
Tu13es is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:57 AM   #21
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I let the Logitech website handle the remote settings. I did not see any video output settings on the ATV2 menu. My Onkyo is getting a 720P signal. Your 480P may be a result of a setting on your receiver or display.
Fixed it.. re-added the device and it seems to be ok now. Incidentally it was the Logitech website that caused the problem.. Was sending a "start FrontRow" command before, despite having selected Apple TV.. not sure if that was screwing it up. Strange.

Anyways - all working perfectly now though
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:33 AM   #22
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post

leave it on!
6 Watts is the max it can ever pull because that is the rating of the power supply. It has been tested that while playing Netflix videos it uses less than 2 watts. When they put it to sleep, it used so little power they couldn't even register a reading with a Kill A Watt meter.

To put this in perspective, cable/satellite DVRs use approximately 30 watts when "sleeping".

Last edited by newagemac; Oct 7, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:29 AM   #23
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
6 Watts is the max it can ever pull because that is the rating of the power supply. It has been tested that while playing Netflix videos it uses less than 2 watts. When they put it to sleep, it used so little power they couldn't even register a reading with a Kill A Watt meter.

To put this is perspective, cable/satellite DVRs use approximately 30 watts when "sleeping".
That's quite incredible.
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater