Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Hi,

Someone just gave me an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I already have a Powermac G5 and am thinking about setting this up in another room just for internet/email. It doesn't have the minimum ram right now to run OS X.

If I upgrade it to 256K would it run OSX well enough to surf the net and do email?

Also, when I opened the case I see what looks like 2 slots for memory. They aren't in the same place though. One slot is under a metal cage right next to a heat sink, and there is another off to the side. They aren't the same type of memory chips though. What is this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
amberashby said:
Hi,

Someone just gave me an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I already have a Powermac G5 and am thinking about setting this up in another room just for internet/email. It doesn't have the minimum ram right now to run OS X.

If I upgrade it to 256K would it run OSX well enough to surf the net and do email?

Also, when I opened the case I see what looks like 2 slots for memory. They aren't in the same place though. One slot is under a metal cage right next to a heat sink, and there is another off to the side. They aren't the same type of memory chips though. What is this?

Just telling you, 256 wont be enough either. go as much as the max is. 768 maybe? Someone else will know, but 256 will be soooo slow it will be pitiful.

kyle

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
This would be a good way to help stretch the life of the iBook. It wont screem, but on a iBook G3 600, Panther is not that slow at all.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
varmit said:
This would be a good way to help stretch the life of the iBook. It wont screem, but on a iBook G3 600, Panther is not that slow at all.

Its an iMac not an iBook

And I would say your best value is either 256Mb (2 x 128) or 384Mb (1 x 128, 1 x 256) any more and you are giving your computer more RAM than it is worth and your bottleneck will be on the processor.

Also don't forget to upgrade your firmware before you load OS X on it!

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
ChrisFromCanada said:
Its an iMac not an iBook

And I would say your best value is either 256Mb (2 x 128) or 384Mb (1 x 128, 1 x 256) any more and you are giving your computer more RAM than it is worth and your bottleneck will be on the processor.

Also don't forget to upgrade your firmware before you load OS X on it!

So there are 2 memory slots? I see what looks like 2 slots, but they are in different places and the cards that are already in there are not interchangeable.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
ChrisFromCanada said:

It still would be helpful to have 512MB in there. That way, because the processor can't get to things as fast, they can sit in RAM and wait. Also, programs can be loaded into RAM so that there is no reading of off the hard drive, which would slow down the Mac even more.

Linkety has specs for a lot of Macs. Check there. It's a nice site for Mac users...

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
amberashby said:

There are two slots for memory, and both are within that metal cage.

The slot that is to the side is for Video memory. Don't try and fit RAM in there :)

There are som good instructions and photos here to help you: http://www.djonmac.com/

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Thanks everyone. I'm going to order one 256K DIMM for $35 and see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.