Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Is it possible to wake the AppleTV with the Remote app? Seems that when the AppleTV sleeps, it disappears from the network. Annoying to have to search for where I left the aluminum remote. Guess I can set it to never sleep, but seems like there should be a better solution.

Skaught

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Is it possible to wake the AppleTV with the Remote app? Seems that when the AppleTV sleeps, it disappears from the network. Annoying to have to search for where I left the aluminum remote. Guess I can set it to never sleep, but seems like there should be a better solution.

I did. I just hit "Menu" and up it woke.

Scott

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
FWIW there are a few issues with older hardware not being compatible, so you might want to look up each individual component and search for WOL to see if the individual devices support the feature

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
When my AppleTV is asleep it disappears from the list of devices I can control with the app. I'm not talking about when it is in screensaver mode, but rather when it is fully asleep. The front LED is off when asleep.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Yea that sucks, so I can't just be out and then have it start up when I walk in the door. I wouldn't want too keep mine on all the time, also there is the fact that if the tv is sett on cable and not on hdmi so u have to switch the "source" too. These are my annoyances with the apple tv I'll still be getting one but it still will anoy me.

Skaught

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Here I go, a "live" test. My ATV light is off, TV says "searching for signal". Launching Remote on iPhone...

Remote App says, "Connecting to Library Apple TV"...1 second goes by and the Control screen is up. ATV still asleep, no light.

Tap the "Menu" button....ATV lights up...three seconds and it's on the TV.

Scott

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Strange.....I swear this didn't work in the beginning, but now it seems to work just as described above. Also I can now see that there are similar posts asking the same question, so it's not just me.

Could Apple have somehow silently updated my firmware? Or maybe it just takes time for the Home Sharing setup to get remembered by the Remote app so that it knows that my Apple TV should be there, even if it isn't showing up on the network when it is asleep? In any case, it works now!

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Strange.....I swear this didn't work in the beginning, but now it seems to work just as described above. Also I can now see that there are similar posts asking the same question, so it's not just me.

Could Apple have somehow silently updated my firmware? Or maybe it just takes time for the Home Sharing setup to get remembered by the Remote app so that it knows that my Apple TV should be there, even if it isn't showing up on the network when it is asleep? In any case, it works now!

I'm having the same issue. As of last night I still couldn't use the iphone app to wake up the tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.