Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dKran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Hey guys.

So I'm loving the new Apple TV, but I'm having an issue with Netflix.

Two of the movies I started today (12 Rounds and 500 Days of Summer) have had aspect ratio issues - the picture is stretched to fill the whole screen, and looks awkwardly proportioned.

I've checked the settings of my tv, and this is not the problem. Anyone else seeing this/find a fix?

Thanks!

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Neither one of these movies are available to me for streaming on Netflix. You were able to stream both of these movies?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It's probably a Netflix issue. I've seen the same thing from time to time. None of the settings on my TV or ATV make a difference. It's the stream that's at fault.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
It's probably a Netflix issue. I've seen the same thing from time to time. None of the settings on my TV or ATV make a difference. It's the stream that's at fault.

Have to agree. I've also had some Netflix movies stretch top and bottom to fill the screen and the same movies did it both on my PS3 and on the ATV2 so definitely a Netflix issue with their streaming or encoding. Cheers!

James

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
When streaming to my PS3, I sometimes observe native 16:9 content appearing distorted around the sides. I've drawn a correlation between this and other heavy traffic on my network. I'm assuming it's a mechanism for coping with reduced bandwidth. That, or I just happen to be transferring big files while coincidentally watching crappy encodes.

dKran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for the info :) glad it's just a Netflix issue.

And I'm in Canada, maybe that's why you don't have those titles available? On a side note - 500 Days of Summer is great, and I would really recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.