Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
spotsphill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
un-JB 3GS (3.1.3) to JB 4.0.1

Hi all,

I have a never-before JB 3GS that is currently on 3.1.3. The end result I am striving for is a JB/UL 3GS with 4.0.1 so I can sell it and buy a iP4.

Do I have to upgrade to 4.0.1 first? If so, how? Or should I JB via jailbreakme 2.0 and try to get up to 4.0.1? iTunes is prompting me to install 4.1, which I obviously don't want to do since there is no JB and UL for it yet.

I have both a Mac and a Windows PC. I appreciate your help!

- Phill
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
On 3GS and IP4, you can only update / restore to firmware Apple currently allows, now only 4.1, because they use SHSH security check. You can trick iTunes if you have previously saved those old SHSH files at the time Apple was still sending them out. Right now, Apple is only sending out 4.1 SHSH files. I am guessing you never saved them. If that's correct, straight up installing of 4.0.1 is out of the question for you.

There's still hope. Does 3GS have old or new bootrom?

If new bootrom, just use Spirit to JB phone on 3.1.3, use Ultrsnow (through Cydia) to unlock phone and sale it as 3.1.3 JB & unlock phone.

If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.

Last edited by Myzhi; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:58 AM   #3
gngan
macrumors 68000
 
gngan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MacWorld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
On 3GS and IP4, you can only update / restore to firmware Apple currently allows, now only 4.1, because they use SHSH security check. You can trick iTunes if you have previously saved those old SHSH files at the time Apple was still sending them out. Right now, Apple is only sending out 4.1 SHSH files. I am guessing you never saved them. If that's correct, straight up installing of 4.0.1 is out of the question for you.

There's still hope. Does 3GS have old or new bootrom?

If new bootrom, just use Spirit to JB phone on 3.1.3, use Ultrsnow (through Cydia) to unlock phone and sale it as 3.1.3 JB & unlock phone.

If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.
I thought with 3gs old bootrom, you can JB on 4.1 it with redsn0w. While 3gs new bootrom then you will have tether JB with redsn0w.
__________________
2011 13''MBP i5 Dual HDD (128GB SSD+1TB HDD)+8gb RAM; iPhone 5S, iPod Nano 6th gen; iPod Nano 3rd gen; iPod Wheel; iPad 2 64gb 3G+Wifi; Airport Extreme/Express; Synology 4tb +WD 2tb; Canon 5D MKIII
gngan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
I thought with 3gs old bootrom, you can JB on 4.1 it with redsn0w. While 3gs new bootrom then you will have tether JB with redsn0w.
Nope. There are no JB if you are on official 4.1 firmware for 3GS. You can only get to 4.1 by restoring with a custom firmware which requires the phone be pwned JB.

And, the Redsnow 4.1 JB is only for 3G / iPod touch 2G.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:51 AM   #5
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
Nope. There are no JB if you are on official 4.1 firmware for 3GS. You can only get to 4.1 by restoring with a custom firmware which requires the phone be pwned JB.

And, the Redsnow 4.1 JB is only for 3G / iPod touch 2G.


Or..... You can upgrade to 4.0.1 on iTunes by downloaing the 4.0.1Firmware from some random page found in google... Then you shift click restore and select the firmware wanted! Once updated you activate the phone and them go to jailbreakme.com which only jailbreake up to 4.0.2 I think
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
spotsphill
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
Or..... You can upgrade to 4.0.1 on iTunes by downloaing the 4.0.1Firmware from some random page found in google... Then you shift click restore and select the firmware wanted! Once updated you activate the phone and them go to jailbreakme.com which only jailbreake up to 4.0.2 I think
To be honest, this seems to be the easiest way. Is this confirmed to work? I don't want to screw up my chances at getting this JB (and eventually UL).

I have the old bootrom by the way (at least I think I do, as I bought this phone in August 2009). I might be wrong though - sorry, noob here.

Please confirm if the above will work, or if I should go Myzhi's route:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.
Thanks!
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsphill View Post
To be honest, this seems to be the easiest way. Is this confirmed to work? I don't want to screw up my chances at getting this JB (and eventually UL).

I have the old bootrom by the way (at least I think I do, as I bought this phone in August 2009). I might be wrong though - sorry, noob here.

Please confirm if the above will work, or if I should go Myzhi's route:


Thanks!
No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which they only allow you to install / restore latest firmware, currently 4.1. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."

And, Jailbreakme.com only works to 4.0.1. 4.0.2 sole purpose was to close exploit use JB in 3.1.3 - 4.0.1. It does not offer any new features and reason way here's no point in making JB for it.

People need to stop posting when they don't know.

Last edited by Myzhi; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:11 AM   #8
spotsphill
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which only allow you to install / restore you latest firmware. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."
Haha. I believe you! I was just looking for an easy way out.

I'll try it your way. Thanks a bunch.
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
spotsphill
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
No. That does not work. As I already stated in my first reply, Apple uses a security check, SHSH files, which they only allow you to install / restore latest firmware, currently 4.1. If you don't believe me, try it. You will get an error that says "This device is not eligible..."

And, Jailbreakme.com only works to 4.0.1. 4.0.2 sole purpose was to close exploit use JB in 3.1.3 - 4.0.1. It does not offer any new features and reason way here's no point in making JB for it.

People need to stop posting when they don't know.
Thanks! Is this an accurate step by step depiction of what you said?

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...th-spirit2pwn/
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsphill View Post
Thanks! Is this an accurate step by step depiction of what you said?

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...th-spirit2pwn/
Yes. After you jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit, follow those instructions. Be 100% sure you have the old bootrom.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
Yes. After you jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit, follow those instructions. Be 100% sure you have the old bootrom.
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be sure you have the old bootrom. Check it by following my instructions here.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
spotsphill
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be sure you have the old bootrom. Check it by following my instructions here.
Thank you again. I will make sure I check before I do it.
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:56 PM   #13
f4780y
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Troon, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
Or..... You can upgrade to 4.0.1 on iTunes by downloaing the 4.0.1Firmware from some random page found in google... Then you shift click restore and select the firmware wanted! Once updated you activate the phone and them go to jailbreakme.com which only jailbreake up to 4.0.2 I think
Wow. That's some bad advice there Edgar. You need to check your facts before posting stuff like that... Seriously.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme 3.0) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPhone4 32GB 5.0.1 (redsn0w) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme 2.0)
f4780y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:54 AM   #14
spotsphill
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzhi View Post
On 3GS and IP4, you can only update / restore to firmware Apple currently allows, now only 4.1, because they use SHSH security check. You can trick iTunes if you have previously saved those old SHSH files at the time Apple was still sending them out. Right now, Apple is only sending out 4.1 SHSH files. I am guessing you never saved them. If that's correct, straight up installing of 4.0.1 is out of the question for you.

There's still hope. Does 3GS have old or new bootrom?

If new bootrom, just use Spirit to JB phone on 3.1.3, use Ultrsnow (through Cydia) to unlock phone and sale it as 3.1.3 JB & unlock phone.

If old, JB 3.1.3 with Spirit and install Spirit2pwn (Cydia) = allows you to install custom already JB firmware. Now, create (pwnagetool) or find (google) custom 4.0.1 firmware and restore through iTunes. Once restore process is complete, the phone will be already JB. Install Ultrasnow to unlock. Now, you have 4.0.1 JB & unlock phone.
I wanted to thank you. I confirmed that I had the old bootrom and I followed your instructions perfectly. My 3GS is now JB on iOS4. I'll do the UL tonight. Thanks again!
spotsphill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:21 PM   #15
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
Wow. That's some bad advice there Edgar. You need to check your facts before posting stuff like that... Seriously.
If you're on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 you can use jailbreakme.com!! Google it and prove me wrong! I've done it 4 times already!
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:25 PM   #16
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
Wow. That's some bad advice there Edgar. You need to check your facts before posting stuff like that... Seriously.
Here you go!!!
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023555
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:32 PM   #17
f4780y
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Troon, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
If you're on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 you can use jailbreakme.com!! Google it and prove me wrong! I've done it 4 times already!
Suffice to say you CANNOT jailbreak 4.0.2 with jailbreakme.com. 4.0.2 was released by Apple for 1 purpose only. To STOP jailbreakme.com from working. This was pointed out by others on this very thread.

You need to remeber that the OP was on old bootrom 3GS 3.1.3 unjailbroken. He followed the excellent advice given within this thread by others and now has what he wanted. An unlocked 3GS on IOS4 firmware (assuming the unlock worked).

He could not have simply shift-restored to 4.0.1 (and certainly not 4.0.2) and then visited jailbreakme.com as you suggested. Read the detail of this entire thread to understand why...
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme 3.0) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPhone4 32GB 5.0.1 (redsn0w) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme 2.0)

Last edited by f4780y; Oct 5, 2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Shouldn't let myself get drawn into an argument again, so have edited this and the next post to be a "little" less hyperbolic ;-)
f4780y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:35 PM   #18
f4780y
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Troon, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
Thanks!, however see previous post...
Another good thread hi-jacked... I blame myself of course.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme 3.0) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPhone4 32GB 5.0.1 (redsn0w) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme 2.0)

Last edited by f4780y; Oct 5, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
f4780y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:54 PM   #19
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
Suffice to say you CANNOT jailbreak 4.0.2 with jailbreakme.com. 4.0.2 was released by Apple for 1 purpose only. To STOP jailbreakme.com from working. This was pointed out by others on this very thread.

You need to remeber that the OP was on old bootrom 3GS 3.1.3 unjailbroken. He followed the excellent advice given within this thread by others and now has what he wanted. An unlocked 3GS on IOS4 firmware (assuming the unlock worked).

He could not have simply shift-restored to 4.0.1 (and certainly not 4.0.2) and then visited jailbreakme.com as you suggested. Read the detail of this entire thread to understand why...


if you inform yourself better, you can indeed restore to 4.0.1 then activate the phone with a valid sim card and after that jailbreak it! thank you very much! my mistake was saying 4.0.2
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:10 PM   #20
f4780y
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Troon, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
if you inform yourself better, you can indeed restore to 4.0.1 then activate the phone with a valid sim card and after that jailbreak it! thank you very much! my mistake was saying 4.0.2
OK. How can he restore to stock 4.0.1 without SHSH blobs? It is not possible.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme 3.0) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPhone4 32GB 5.0.1 (redsn0w) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme 2.0)
f4780y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:28 PM   #21
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
OK. How can he restore to stock 4.0.1 without SHSH blobs? It is not possible.
he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

if hes on 4.1 he cant do anything!!!
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:42 PM   #22
az988
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

if hes on 4.1 he cant do anything!!!
but like f4780y was asking, how did iTunes allow an installation of 4.0.1 firmware without having an SHSH blob? 4.1 is the only newer firmware that can be installed without previous storage of SHSH blobs
az988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:43 PM   #23
Myzhi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

if hes on 4.1 he cant do anything!!!
Apple uses a SHSH security checks and only allow you to install the firmware they want you to, currently only 4.1. Thus, OP can't just install 4.0.1 with saved SHSH files. Only reason why he was able to installed 4.0.1 was he first pwned (allow install custom firmware) the phone. Afterward, he installed a custom JB 4.0.1 firmware. Please research more and stop spreading misinformation.
Myzhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:46 PM   #24
f4780y
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Troon, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar.amarotova View Post
he said he was running 3.1.3 firmware, then he said he wanted to jailbreak his iphone on 4.0.1 didnt he??

then why the need of the shsh blobs??? you only need to upgrade to the 4.0.1 and activate the phone with a valid sim card THENNNNNNNNNN jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com!

if hes on 4.1 he cant do anything!!!
Yes, you are right. He asked those questions.
What you do not understand is that you CANNOT upgrade to stock 4.0.1 without valid SHSH blobs for 4.0.1.
Apple stopped signing blobs for 4.0.1 at the beginning of August.
Without saved blobs you simply cannot upgrade a 3GS to stock 4.0.1 firmware. There is no known way around this. The OP did the best thing he could. Used Spirit and spirit2pwn on the phone then got hold of a custom firmware which could then be installed without blobs.

You already stated your 3.1.3 phone was bought already jailbroken with Spirit. Maybe you have all your SHSH's saved on Cydia because of this, but the OP did not.

I know at this stage you do not believe me, but do some searches on this forum for SHSH blobs and downgrade to 4.0.1. You will soon learn why they are so important. Have a look at the last two posts above. Just perhaps you could consider that you are wrong in this Edgar?
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 8GB 2.7GHz i7 | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme 3.0) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.0.1 (stock) | iPhone4 32GB 5.0.1 (redsn0w) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme 2.0)

Last edited by f4780y; Oct 5, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
f4780y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:07 PM   #25
edgar.amarotova
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
Yes, you are right. He asked those questions.
What you do not understand is that you CANNOT upgrade to stock 4.0.1 without valid SHSH blobs for 4.0.1.
Apple stopped signing blobs for 4.0.1 at the beginning of August.
Without saved blobs you simply cannot upgrade a 3GS to stock 4.0.1 firmware. There is no known way around this. The OP did the best thing he could. Used Spirit and spirit2pwn on the phone then got hold of a custom firmware which could then be installed without blobs.

You already stated your 3.1.3 phone was bought already jailbroken with Spirit, but the OP did not.

I know at this stage you do not believe me, but do some searches on this forum for SHSH blobs and downgrade to 4.0.1. You will soon learn why they are so important. Have a look at the last two posts above. Just perhaps you could consider that you are wrong in this Edgar?
thats why you download the firmware from another place BUT itunes and install itunes 9.2
edgar.amarotova is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DESPERATE! Jailbroke iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 broadband 06.15.00 SteffiT Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 37 Jan 4, 2012 08:27 PM
3GS 5.0.1 OTA update produces DFU mode Wolffie iOS 5 and earlier 1 Nov 12, 2011 11:42 AM
MacBook5,1 - Trying to run Windows 7 Ultimate x64/ Bootcamp 4.0 issues rashhashan MacBook 0 Sep 24, 2011 02:26 AM
1.5tb internal drive for macbook pro euphrus MacBook Pro 17 Apr 23, 2011 02:46 AM
Apple TV with iOS 4.0 unable to be jailbroken? sidgriffey Apple TV and Home Theater 11 Nov 10, 2010 04:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC