Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
IL
Hello, all.

Admittedly, I'm new to the Mac audio scene, although I've been a long-time Mac user.

Recently, I've been looking into buying the ESI Quatafire 610 firewire audio interface for use with my 12" Powerbook. However, I cannot seem to find any information about the digital inputs and outputs.

My question: Will I be able to output the surround sound from Apple's DVD Player (4.0, I have Panther) using the coax digital output located on the back? ESI's website is absolutely horrendous, and the downloadable manual doesn't even mention digital output. Anyone have this product already or know anything about it? I was previously considering the M-audio firewire 410, but I read about the hot-plug issue, and that dissuaded me from buying it...

Any help is appreciated!

-S

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I always hate to send people to another forum...but for audio stuff on OS X your best bet really is the forums over at OS X Audio - in the hardware forum there are a few threads about the Quatafire (do a search there to find them)....I didn't read them all so I can't say if they will answer your question though.....oh yeah!

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
IL
Thanks Duff-man! I've actually already browsed/searched osxaudio's forum, but no one mentioned this specific ability/lack thereof. Ironically, I found the ESI systems Japanese website, and it has much more information about the Quatafire 610 than the American one (including pictures implying 5.1/7.1 output), but I can't read Japanese and Babelfish didn't quite work :(

I think the problem with finding information on this product is that it is so new that few people have it!

-S

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Hi just wondering if you ended up getting this interface and how it worked out for you. The specs look great and everything i just wondered how well it worked, stability, latency etc.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.