Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Dr. No
macrumors regular

NEW G5

My new G5 finally arrived!!!!!

Single 1.8 GHz
80 GB SATA hard drive
1 GB RAM
ATi Radeon 9600XT

I think it is the best computer I have ever used. It is very fast, and quiet.

I have one question, thogh. When I take the side panel off, it seems to have cellophane-like packing material around the inside edges. Do I have to take it off? Or is it a sealant?

I read something about this earlier on the net, but the user's manual says nothing. Any help appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:57 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Do NOT remove the plastic inner door. It is there to help with air flow and cooling.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:03 AM   #3
AlexSpark
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns
Do NOT remove the plastic inner door. It is there to help with air flow and cooling.
He's not talking about that ... he's talking about the sticky plastic tape on the inside of the metal panel. I duno about it either but i left mine on .. its not like you can see it.
AlexSpark is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:18 AM   #4
broken_keyboard
Banned

It's just packaging. Congrats on the new G5 btw!
broken_keyboard is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:20 AM   #5
MrSugar
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to MrSugar Send a message via AIM to MrSugar
I remember that layer of plastic.

I took mine off, I just can't stand not having the cool crisp metal at my fingertips . The G5 is running perfectally. By far the best computer I have ever owned.

-- Fluidvision Design
MrSugar is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:21 AM   #6
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No

I read something about this earlier on the net, but the user's manual says nothing. Any help appreciated.
The user's manual does say to take it off, or at least the one that came with my dual 2.5 did, and I imagine it's the same deal....

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:41 AM   #7
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

congrats on the new machine! i'm torn between a tower or an iMac... need to decide soon...
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Sabbath
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
The user's manual does say to take it off, or at least the one that came with my dual 2.5 did, and I imagine it's the same deal....

--Eric
I expect it might help disperse the heat to the metal case, presuming the heat goes through the inner plastic window bit. I have never been inside a G5 so I don't know if the case helps disperse heat at all. Also its probably more important on a dual 2.5 than a single 1.8 where heat is concerned.

Congrats on the new G5
Sabbath is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:51 AM   #9
iJoe
macrumors member

The plastic window stays, the strips go.
iJoe is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Moof1904
macrumors 6502a

Angry New G5 also. Kill me...

I just got a new G5 also and it's a nightmare. Ordered 2.5DP on 12/23 and it arrived yesterday after much anticipation. It came with 1.5 gigs of RAM (free upgrade from 512 by MacMall) and I added an additional 1 gig and I bought from MacMall (same identical 1 gig RAM kit as the one they had already installed).

Starting up resulted in kernel panics, and hanging up on the startup (rotating circle of line segments) screen. Started reseating and removing RAM chips to see if one of them was the culprit and it seemed to work better after removing the two factory 256 meg DIMMS. Started up successfully with the remaining 2 gigs installed and it worked fine, for about two minutes. I choose Sound from the system prefs and suddenly got a solid blue screen and the rotating line segments screen again. Forced quit after staring at that for five minutes and when the machine rebooted, it reported only 1.5 gigs of RAM, not 2 gigs. (The two 512s were now being reported as 256's). I choose About this Mac and got the blue screen followed by rotating line segments again. After a minute or so, the desktop returned. Choosing About this Mac again resulted in the same thing happening. Same with choosing Shut down: blue screen, spinning thing, back to the desktop. Choosing Shut Down again resulted in the same blue screen/spinning line segments/back to the desktop.

MacMall customer service was closed last night, as was AppleCare (I got three years AppleCare with the system), so I couldn't resolve this...

Kill me, Billy...
Moof1904 is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 02:29 PM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwuMACaddict
congrats on the new machine! I'm torn between a tower or an iMac... need to decide soon...
How long do you have to decide? Hopefully you can wait till after the February/March time frame. An update might help your decision making process. Something can also be said about buying or not buying a Cinema Display. Also the amount of room available would also be a consideration.

What is your thinking process?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 03:05 PM   #12
wnurse
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moof1904
I just got a new G5 also and it's a nightmare. Ordered 2.5DP on 12/23 and it arrived yesterday after much anticipation. It came with 1.5 gigs of RAM (free upgrade from 512 by MacMall) and I added an additional 1 gig and I bought from MacMall (same identical 1 gig RAM kit as the one they had already installed).

Starting up resulted in kernel panics, and hanging up on the startup (rotating circle of line segments) screen. Started reseating and removing RAM chips to see if one of them was the culprit and it seemed to work better after removing the two factory 256 meg DIMMS. Started up successfully with the remaining 2 gigs installed and it worked fine, for about two minutes. I choose Sound from the system prefs and suddenly got a solid blue screen and the rotating line segments screen again. Forced quit after staring at that for five minutes and when the machine rebooted, it reported only 1.5 gigs of RAM, not 2 gigs. (The two 512s were now being reported as 256's). I choose About this Mac and got the blue screen followed by rotating line segments again. After a minute or so, the desktop returned. Choosing About this Mac again resulted in the same thing happening. Same with choosing Shut down: blue screen, spinning thing, back to the desktop. Choosing Shut Down again resulted in the same blue screen/spinning line segments/back to the desktop.

MacMall customer service was closed last night, as was AppleCare (I got three years AppleCare with the system), so I couldn't resolve this...

Kill me, Billy...
I'm not an expert but i'll bet anything that macmall installed third party memory. I'll be surprised if apple helps with this because you did not use apple branded memory (whatever that is). You'll have to get assistance from macmall. It's quite possible the memory installed is bad or not fully compatible with the mac.
wnurse is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:49 PM   #13
broken_keyboard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moof1904
when the machine rebooted, it reported only 1.5 gigs of RAM, not 2 gigs. (The two 512s were now being reported as 256's).
Do you know about the restrictions on ram placement? There always has to be pairs, and the DIMM in one bank has to be the same as in the corresponding position in the other.
broken_keyboard is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2004, 01:51 AM   #14
cmvsm
macrumors 6502a

The plastic strips must go immediately. If not you'll experience some cooling related issues or worse. Just make sure that the plastic air shield diverter thingy stays in place!!
cmvsm is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:12 AM   #15
5300cs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No
My new G5 finally arrived!!!!!

Single 1.8 GHz
80 GB SATA hard drive
1 GB RAM
ATi Radeon 9600XT

I think it is the best computer I have ever used. It is very fast, and quiet.
I have that same machine except a different video card and less RAM. It has been very quiet and speedy for me since I got it. Only a few minor hiccups every now and then, but nothing major.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:38 AM   #16
Rod Rod
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse
I'm not an expert but i'll bet anything that macmall installed third party memory. I'll be surprised if apple helps with this because you did not use apple branded memory (whatever that is). You'll have to get assistance from macmall. It's quite possible the memory installed is bad or not fully compatible with the mac.
Moof1904: Apple will help with this. This sounds like another case of a d.o.a. dual 2.5GHz Power Mac. Two others have reported theirs in these forums, and one of them is on his second replacement machine (third overall).

It's perfectly safe to use non-Apple RAM, and using such RAM does not adversely affect the warranty on the rest of the machine.

Dr. No: Congratulations! I like your machine!
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:23 AM   #17
kcourt
macrumors member

Thumbs up

I have a new G5 tower 2.5 and love it. Only one kernel panic - and it was due to screen saver - I was using photos that I took and placed in iPhoto. I changed to a standard screen saver that came with the Mac and have had no other problems.

I use safari as my internet browser and it works great. However, I did go to Entourage for my e-mail as it is a better program than Mail, IMO.

I did get Apple Care as it has the liquid cool - a new technology for the Mac, although the technology has been around for a long time.

Good luck on your Mac and hope that changing the ram does the trick.

BTW, I bought mine from MacConnection and received some great deals - better than Apple gave.

LOVE THIS COMPUTER!

Kathy

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers