Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Adokimus
macrumors 6502a

Apple TV Blocks Netflix's "Gay & Lesbian" Category

Hate to cite to Gizmodo, but here's the story:

http://gizmodo.com/5654822/apple-tvs...bian-category/

I still can't figure out why a company that openly came out to oppose Proposition 8, on the grounds that it was a civil rights issue, has now turned around and cut out that entire segment of the population with regard to their content for (one can assume) monetary reasons. I personally have distaste for nearly all forms of censorship. The blocking of adult apps was a step in the wrong direction, but hiding the GLBT community as though it is shameful? And people wonder why so many young people struggle with the fact they're gay and there's such a high suicide rate among those who are forced to believe there is something wrong with them.

/RANT

EDIT: Apparently, this is not the only category that is blocked, but call me a conspiracy theorist since I don't think it would be too difficult for Apple to provide all of the categories for users. To me, the others are just red herrings. Also, you can still access the content, you just can't search for it by category. I only find new shows and movies by category, so that doesn't mean much for me. So, not as bad as originally thought, but I still take offense.

Last edited by Adokimus; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Adokimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:40 PM   #2
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Not that I have the need/want to have access to that particular category... but what ELSE are they going to be blocking? You can't advertise yourself as a Netflix media player and start restricting things. I can understand the app store and the other other things Apple choses to do, but this is a bit much. However, if this is all they block then that'll be fine, it just makes me nervous.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3
StruckANerve
macrumors 6502

First it was just censorship and now it's bigoted censorship? Apple needs to be bitch slapped.
StruckANerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:02 PM   #4
steviem
macrumors 68020

From the comments, it looks like it's down to poor menu structure of the NETFLIX app, not apple bearing down upon the minorities....

Last edited by steviem; Oct 4, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: silly ipad spelling correction!
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Yeah I noticed there were several other categories missing compared to Netflix on the Wii.

I love the buffer size for Netflix on the Apple TV, but the much-hyped "best implementation of Netflix yet" interface on the Apple TV leaves a lot to be desired.

It barely provides basic functionality and with quirky issues like no quality meter, no HD indicator, no way to tell which shows/movies you've watched or how much you've watched --- it needs a lot of work.

And why isn't the Instant Queue at the top of the menu list?
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Quite right too.
davidjearly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:41 PM   #7
steviem
macrumors 68020

Hmmm, looks like we've experienced some censorship on this very thread too!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:56 PM   #8
faith4more
macrumors regular

I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel. That being said netflix does a poor job of allowing filters with passwords in all their interfaces. So there is a lot of content I don't want my kids to have access to I wish they could filter. What they really need is a way for content to be filtered with passwords. That way everyone has a choice of what they want to allow through.
faith4more is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Alrescha
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy View Post
Not that I have the need/want to have access to that particular category... but what ELSE are they going to be blocking?
I think "block" is a word chosen purposefully to manipulate people's emotions, right up there with "censorship". Apple isn't blocking access to any movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy View Post
You can't advertise yourself as a Netflix media player and start restricting things.
Of course you can. My Sony DVD player is a "Netflix media player", and it doesn't show me any categories at all. All it can manage is to show me my Instant Queue.

Apple is trying to sell a device that goes in people's living rooms. They want to sell lots of them - to people of all backgrounds and education. I expect that they chose the menu items they did to ensure that people would be comfortable having their children or relatives use it.

We can be saddened that we live in a country where such a decision had to be made, but to deny the reality would be foolish.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:09 PM   #10
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrescha View Post
I think "block" is a word chosen purposefully to manipulate people's emotions, right up there with "censorship". Apple isn't blocking access to any movies.

Of course you can. My Sony DVD player is a "Netflix media player", and it doesn't show me any categories at all. All it can manage is to show me my Instant Queue.

Apple is trying to sell a device that goes in people's living rooms. They want to sell lots of them - to people of all backgrounds and education. I expect that they chose the menu items they did to ensure that people would be comfortable having their children or relatives use it.

We can be saddened that we live in a country where such a decision had to be made, but to deny the reality would be foolish.

A.
You *SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO* advertise yourself as a Netflix media player*
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:35 PM   #11
EstrlM3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith4more View Post
I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel. That being said netflix does a poor job of allowing filters with passwords in all their interfaces. So there is a lot of content I don't want my kids to have access to I wish they could filter. What they really need is a way for content to be filtered with passwords. That way everyone has a choice of what they want to allow through.
Maybe you should watch your kids and know what they are doing instead of relying on a corporation to be a parent for you.

Censorship of any kind should be unacceptable. But taht doesnt seem to be whats going on here, people are jumping to conclusions.
EstrlM3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:59 PM   #12
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

rejoice boys! Gays are the new Blu-rays!
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:02 PM   #13
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel.
There us a lot of content in the LGBT section that is not sexual at all. That being said, its not a "lifestyle" anymore than heterosexuality is a "lifestyle." There is no one way anyone in either group lives their lives.

I hope there is a way to add to the interface in the future if you want it - I looked for it this weekend and could not find it (they left others off as well).
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:37 PM   #14
reticulate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because all LGBT content is obviously sexual in nature.

Actually, you're probably right. They should also block any content that shows or implies a heterosexual relationship too, just to be fair.
reticulate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:54 PM   #15
steviem
macrumors 68020

Or, you know, just put them in the same categories. Having an lgbt category is basically the same as 'separate but equal' and that always ends up with inequality.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 05:01 PM   #16
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

This just in: Apple sensors all Religion! They purposefully left off the Faith and Spirituality genre off the Netflix app on the Apple TV!

The list only had room for so many genres. They included the main ones rather than having a list a mile long and requiring you to scroll through them. The movies are still accessible, just not as a heading on the main page. I'm not saying I am for or against any of this, I just think too big of a deal is being made out of it.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 05:11 PM   #17
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
And yet, I can watch The L Word via Netflix on my AppleTV.

It's looking like it's what the more rational members are saying, they just didn't add all the genres.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 05:56 PM   #18
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Become a better parent with guidelines and stop having companies cater to the bad parents while ruining the experience for the rest of us.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 06:04 PM   #19
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
Become a better parent with guidelines and stop having companies cater to the bad parents while ruining the experience for the rest of us.
Oh gods no, don't make parents actually, y'know, parent. That's un-American!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:18 PM   #20
faith4more
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrlM3 View Post
Maybe you should watch your kids and know what they are doing instead of relying on a corporation to be a parent for you.

Censorship of any kind should be unacceptable. But taht doesnt seem to be whats going on here, people are jumping to conclusions.

There have a few posts like this directed at my my post. It obvious anyone saying parents should not have the ability to censor content either have no kids or are most likely infantile themselves.

I know what my kids are doing but am not going to be an oger and hover over what they do 24hrs a day. But I will be a good parent and restrict what they have access to whether it is on the internet or anywhere else. That is called good parenting.

In regards to netflix they could easily add filters that could be turned off or on at the discretion of the subscriber. This would infringe on no one.

Last edited by faith4more; Oct 4, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
faith4more is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:49 PM   #21
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There have a few posts like this directed at my my post. It obvious anyone saying parents should not have the ability to censor content either have no kids or are most likely infantile themselves.

I know what my kids are doing but am not going to be an oger and hover over what they do 24hrs a day. But I will be a good parent and restrict what they have access to whether it is on the internet or anywhere else. That is called good parenting.

In regards to netflix they could easily add filters that could be turned off or on at the discretion of the subscriber. This would infringe on no one.
You should also follow your kids around when they're out so you can make sure they don't ever run into these scary gay people.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #22
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchal View Post
You should also follow your kids around when they're out so you can make sure they don't ever run into these scary gay people.
Oh noes, not gay peoples!

Seriously though, Faith4More, my mum did a great job being a parent, and keeping me safe and educating me on the world. Sheltering your kids is probably one of the worse things to do to them. I understand that explaining to your kids that not everyone shares your point of view, religion, and sexual orientation, is difficult for you, but we do exist in the real world.

Now, totally back on subject. I don't think Apple intended to alienate the LGBT (or Religious/Spirituality) Genre, I think it was just an oversight, or just a space saving decision. Especially, since LGBT (and Religious/Spirituality) content is still available, just not grouped in genre.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:44 PM   #23
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

So actually Apple doesn't block the content but just doesn't make it appear as a specific genre.
That's quite another story and, arguably, a positive one as far as it's avoiding some form of discrimination by categorization, am I rite?
Bernard SG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:59 PM   #24
PurdueGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard SG View Post
So actually Apple doesn't block the content but just doesn't make it appear as a specific genre.
That's quite another story and, arguably, a positive one as far as it's avoiding some form of discrimination by categorization, am I rite?
So if there is a Gay/Lesbian genre, then to avoid discrimination, every other movie would need to be under the "Straight" movie category?

And to those saying "they didn't a list a mile long," how about about letting the user choose? There are a WHOPPING 20 entries on the Netflix site under "Genres." I'd hardly consider that a long list!

Or putting the popular ones on screen, and having an "Other" at the bottom? I doubt I'd ever go uder "Documentary" and "Foreign" but I'd be fine leaving them there and adding "Other" to access the rest.
PurdueGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:02 PM   #25
faith4more
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
Oh noes, not gay peoples!

Seriously though, Faith4More, my mum did a great job being a parent, and keeping me safe and educating me on the world. Sheltering your kids is probably one of the worse things to do to them. I understand that explaining to your kids that not everyone shares your point of view, religion, and sexual orientation, is difficult for you, but we do exist in the real world.

Now, totally back on subject. I don't think Apple intended to alienate the LGBT (or Religious/Spirituality) Genre, I think it was just an oversight, or just a space saving decision. Especially, since LGBT (and Religious/Spirituality) content is still available, just not grouped in genre.
Don't be so heterophobic please.
faith4more is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues