Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
So I really like the new Apple TV, but there is no jailbreak yet and thus no additional codec support. So should I wait until there is a jailbreak and go with the new model or try and score a cheap previous gen model on Craigslist? I know the older model can be hacked to support Xvid, Divx, and an external hard drive (which is what I'm after) but I've heard the internal specs are a little weak for HD video decoding. Is the new Apple TV a little more powerful with the A4 or will the difference in specs only be seen with streaming (which is what the new model was designed for)?

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
So I really like the new Apple TV, but there is no jailbreak yet and thus no additional codec support. So should I wait until there is a jailbreak and go with the new model or try and score a cheap previous gen model on Craigslist? I know the older model can be hacked to support Xvid, Divx, and an external hard drive (which is what I'm after) but I've heard the internal specs are a little weak for HD video decoding. Is the new Apple TV a little more powerful with the A4 or will the difference in specs only be seen with streaming (which is what the new model was designed for)?

Streaming over ethernet or wifi wirelessN the performance is 100% superior to the original

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Streaming over ethernet or wifi wirelessN the performance is 100% superior to the original

My internet here at school is ****** to say the least. I have a dedicated hard drive just for my media which has all my movies, tv shows, etc. on it. Whatever device can see that hard drive and content is the one I want, the Apple TV interface just looks better than any other set top box out there right now which is why I want to use it.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The old one should be fine with a Broadcom Crystal HD card replacing the internal Wifi. I have one of mine setup and I can decode most 1080p blu-ray mkv's.
I picked up an additional firstgen :apple:TV on ebay for $70 last week. it was advertised as a 40gb but actually had a 160gb also came with Twilight already loaded LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.