Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
Quite thorough and detailed Review from DisplayMate comparing:

iPhone 4 – Samsung Galaxy S – Motorola Droid – iPhone 3GS – Google Nexus One

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_1.htm

"And the Winner is…
There is no decisive winner as each of the three “Super” displays significantly outperforms the others in more than one important area and significantly underperforms in other areas. The iPhone 4 by far has the brightest and sharpest display and is the most power efficient of the displays. The Motorola Droid by far has the best picture quality and accuracy. The Samsung Galaxy S by far has the lowest screen reflectance and largest Contrast for both bright and dark ambient lighting, and the best viewing angles. On the flip side, the iPhone 4 has a weak color gamut and viewing angles, the Motorola Droid has weak screen reflectance and viewing angles, and the Samsung Galaxy S has lower brightness, excessive color saturation, higher power consumption and some sharpness issues. Each of these “Super” displays is none-the-less impressive and deserves an award: the iPhone 4 performed better overall so it earned the DisplayMate Best Mobile Display Award, the Motorola Droid earned the Best Mobile Picture Quality Award, and the Samsung Galaxy S earned the Best New Mobile Display Technology Award. Each of these displays has lots of room for improvement and can leapfrog the others in their next iteration with appropriate action…"

Interesting to note that the Motorola Droid scored higher than the iPhone 4 in "Viewing Test" and "Color and Intensities" probably due to their sample iPhone 4 having a higher "White Color Temperature" of 7,781 degrees Kelvin "blue-ish" while most iPhone 4s I've come across including mine are more on the warmer "yellower" side.

A good read regardless..

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Poor iPhone 3GS really had no place between all the others, can't express how glad I am that Apple finally stepped up their game with the new display.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Yeap, if iPhone 4 had the same display as the 3GS I wouldn't have update. But the new display never ceases to amaze me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.