Are facetime calls free? (Orange, UK) - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Are facetime calls free? (Orange, UK)

I always thought that I'd be charged for the call and a little extra because of the video call. I talk to people abroad (USA) who also have iphone 4s but we use apps like fring and tango for facetime over wifi and sometimes 3g for free because normal phone calls would cost a fortune.

I just learned that apparently apples facetime is free because it uses our wifi? so its free just like a skype to skype call is free? If so I guess we don't need to use fring or tango if were on wifi right?

Thanks
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Amnesia87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
I always thought that I'd be charged for the call and a little extra because of the video call. I talk to people abroad (USA) who also have iphone 4s but we use apps like fring and tango for facetime over wifi and sometimes 3g for free because normal phone calls would cost a fortune.

I just learned that apparently apples facetime is free because it uses our wifi? so its free just like a skype to skype call is free? If so I guess we don't need to use fring or tango if were on wifi right?

Thanks
Correct, completely free as long as you actually start the call as a facetime call and not from inside a normal cell call.
Amnesia87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
ephailey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia87 View Post
Correct, completely free as long as you actually start the call as a facetime call and not from inside a normal cell call.
How do you start a call as Facetime. I thought you had to start a call as a regular call and then if both parties are on wifi, you can push the Facetime button.
ephailey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Drewsky87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephailey View Post
How do you start a call as Facetime. I thought you had to start a call as a regular call and then if both parties are on wifi, you can push the Facetime button.
View the contact info and scroll down to "FaceTime"
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:48 PM   #5
ephailey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky87 View Post
View the contact info and scroll down to "FaceTime"

If you start as a regular call are you only charged for the time that you are on regular service before you switch to facetime?
ephailey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If you start as a regular call are you only charged for the time that you are on regular service before you switch to facetime?
it has to be. facetime would need to switch from 3G to wifi to operate.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:56 PM   #7
aleni
macrumors 68000

Quote:
yes, when the facetime starts, you're not charged anymore. ain't that cool?

better to press the facetime button to initiate the call, so you are not charged at all.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:

From what I understand, the very first FaceTime call you make has to be initiated via cell. (I made my first one so long ago I don't remember now how it actually worked)
After that, if you just use the FaceTime button, no cell minutes are ever used and it is free wifi to wifi. That part, I am sure of!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:06 PM   #9
aleni
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliii View Post
From what I understand, the very first FaceTime call you make has to be initiated via cell. (I made my first one so long ago I don't remember now how it actually worked)
After that, if you just use the FaceTime button, no cell minutes are ever used and it is free wifi to wifi. That part, I am sure of!
no u shouldn't do that, just find a contact, press the blue arrow, and then u can find a facetime button to initiate the call.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleni View Post
no u shouldn't do that, just find a contact, press the blue arrow, and then u can find a facetime button to initiate the call.
Too late now for me, but maybe someone else can benefit from this approach!

Bottom line is that FaceTime 'calls' themselves are free!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:27 AM   #11
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. On the adverts they always show off facetime but never mention its free. So how long do you think it will be before we can do a nornal phonecall for free over wifi without using apps like skype?

When I choose a contact then press the facetime button it says choose facetime option which also lists there email address. Can I facetime an ipod touch 4 or iphone4 user via there email from my iphone 4 and vice versa? If so how does it work? Do they need to have my email saved on my contact on their phone?

Thanks

Last edited by Bathplug; Oct 5, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone