Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsylar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Hi guys

I have an iMac 27” bought Sep 2010. It came with a 1TB 3.5” HDD which I intent to replace with one 128 SSD Falcon II and one 2.5” 500GB HDD. I can’t find a guide on youtube nor in here on how to do this.

I am assuming I need to buy:

1) 3.5 to 2.5 bay adapter, one that can hold two 2.5 hard drives.
2) Some kind of suction device to separate the glass from the iMacs body
3) Cables, splitters and adapters to connect those 2 hard drives
4) Screw drivers

I’ve done maintenance on my macbook pro before and it was very easy to install a SSD and upgrade memory, but I can’t find an official guide from apple to perform the same procedure on the iMac.

I want to do everything right so I don't void the warranty.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Leo

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
There are a number of guides on here that will help you. Did you use the search function? Just search SSD and you will have tons of info.

madsylar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Even if you do it perfectly, it will void the warranty. The only thing you can do is change the RAM without voiding the warranty

I did, none of them talked about 3.5" to 2.5" bay. I also don't want to use any velcro to hold the ssd drive.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
may i ask why you did not buy the iMac with the ssd only option in first place , i mean you had the money for the iMac 27 inch and you got the money for the "upgrades" because apple made it extremely hard to add a ssd later, but its easy to add a hdd in the iMacs so if you had ordered it in first place everything would be under warranty and not to bother about , everything you attempt now will void your warranty ...splitting cables and such :eek:

madsylar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
may i ask why you did not buy the iMac with the ssd only option in first place , i mean you had the money for the iMac 27 inch and you got the money for the "upgrades" because apple made it extremely hard to add a ssd later, but its easy to add a hdd in the iMacs so if you had ordered it in first place everything would be under warranty and not to bother about , everything you attempt now will void your warranty ...splitting cables and such :eek:

I already had an ssd drive so why buy another one?

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Read through some of the lengthy SSD posts, you will find the info that you are looking for. Any 2.5 to 3.5 adapter should do. I'm using the Thermaltake from New Egg.

madsylar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Just got this from an Apple Authorized Service Center

"Hi Leonardo,

Unless you purchase the SSD option from Apple we can not fit and supply the SSD Carrier and Cabling from Apple.

Additionally, the main drives in these machine are special drives with onboard serial temperature communication and if we replace them with any other drive, the machine will ramp all fans to full and cause damage to the cleaning system your warranty will likely be void.
"

??

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
thats what i meant , better would have sold the ssd you already got and ordered the iMac with the ssd option , apple makes it hard , and will make it even harder in the future with every revision of the iMac , as Apple does not want you to mess around inside their iMac

like i said in another post i dont like that "either we do it or you lose warranty" , on the very first flat iMac (the iMac g5 first generation ) apple made it so easy to upgrade , just turn 3 screws and you could open the back and everything was in front of you , no screen to remove , no flimsy breaking connectors , nothing you could really damage , but on the new ones .....

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Here is a bracket you could use.

I described in detail how to easily modify this plastic bracket to fit two drives in the iMac 27 hard drive bay in THIS thread.

If this is something you really want don't be afraid of the 'Warranty Chicken Little's". It has been well documented that you can easily short the HDD temp sensor so running ANY after market drive is possible. This mod is 100% reversible so it would be virtually impossible for an Apple Technician to know that you had installed an after market drive if you just reverse your work.

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Here is a bracket you could use.

I described in detail how to easily modify this plastic bracket to fit two drives in the iMac 27 hard drive bay in THIS thread.

If this is something you really want don't be afraid of the 'Warranty Chicken Little's". It has been well documented that you can easily short the HDD temp sensor so running ANY after market drive is possible. This mod is 100% reversible so it would be virtually impossible for an Apple Technician to know that you had installed an after market drive if you just reverse your work.

Agreed, don't listen to these guys talking about your warranty. You will not void your warranty just by opening up your iMac. Damage something while you are in there, well...... then it should not really be covered under warranty now, should it.

This is the one I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Drives-Converter-AC0014-Black/dp/B003WOL4VK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1286340415&sr=8-8

i actually got it at newegg, but it looks like they are not carrying it anymore. It was less than $7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998077

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Hi guys

I have an iMac 27” bought Sep 2010. It came with a 1TB 3.5” HDD which I intent to replace with one 128 SSD Falcon II and one 2.5” 500GB HDD. I can’t find a guide on youtube nor in here on how to do this.

Why replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" one? Why not just add the SSD?

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I have an iMac 27” bought Sep 2010. It came with a 1TB 3.5” HDD which I intent to replace with one 128 SSD Falcon II and one 2.5” 500GB HDD.

Why replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" one? Why not just add the SSD?

I'm going to guess he wants to run a Seagate Momentus HDD or is possibly looking to get a drive that runs cooler and quieter than the stock HDD. I have a 500GB Momentus on my external FW800 drive enclosure and it works great.

Paul7

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Read through some of the lengthy SSD posts, you will find the info that you are looking for. Any 2.5 to 3.5 adapter should do. I'm using the Thermaltake from New Egg.

That's not true. Apparently not all of the adapter's have screw holes that fit the iMac screws as I found out recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.