Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
ok so i just got an ipad and decided i wanted to try putting a movie on it so i converted a dvd with handbrake, and when i try to add the .mp4 file to itunes nothing happens. I tried dropping it in my movies section and also tried the add file command. it allows me to select the file to load then i click ok and nothing happens, after that I cant find it in itunes. Im pretty lost I know I have been able to do this before with my iphone but nothing is adding up now.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Is it going into your music folder? What is the file extension and size of the finished file? Does it have a long title? Is your Quicktime up to date? Can you play the file with iTunes?

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I set handbrake to place it in a folder where my picture folders are. Its extension is .mp4 the name is short and the size is just over 5 gig.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I just checked and it is a .m4v extension, it wont play in quicktime says its unsupported or something to that effect. I dont know what I am doing wrong, i select the dvd in the drive, select the format, apple universal, and select a destination and then it converts and about halfway thru it says its finished and nothing works.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
if the file comes out in over 5GB then you need to select Large File Size/Type in handbrake then encode it.

what movie is coming in at 5GB?

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
The movie is Heat. I ended up ripping it in DVD decrypter and using videora to convert, which works perfectly. However that process isn't working for any other DVD. It will show up in iTunes but the picture is all messed up and the sounds play fine. It's gotta be a conversion issue cuz I can burn the iso image to a disc and it'll play fine in a playstation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.