Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Whitesockcat
macrumors newbie

I need a logo

I'd like to hire a designer to do my company logo, business cards and etc.
Any recommendations? Thanks!
Whitesockcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

Here we go...

At least you used the word "hire" in your request, which at least has an assemblance to paying for the work.

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Whitesockcat
macrumors newbie

Yes, I have no problem paying for someone to provide a service. I just don't know where to look. Is this an inappropriate post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdashiki View Post
Here we go...

At least you used the word "hire" in your request, which at least has an assemblance to paying for the work.

Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:59 AM   #4
CW Jones
macrumors 6502

Depends on how much your looking to have done and what your budget would be. If your a small company and are just getting started so money is tight, I would recommend asking around at a local college. I have gotten a few jobs by just being a design student. They usually wont charge you too much and usually do pretty good work.

On the other side, if your a rather large company, well established, or international then you might want to look into a professional with a degree.

There are plenty of good designers out there. I would check around locally and see whats around first as its always easier to have a meeting in person rather than phone on e-mail.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
CW Jones
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesockcat View Post
Is this an inappropriate post?
HELL NO! Most people come here looking for a logo or design done for free. This is really nice and somewhat shocking to see someone willing to pay! No sarcasm intended.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:21 AM   #6
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Jones View Post
I have gotten a few jobs by just being a design student. They usually wont charge you too much and usually do pretty good work.
Aye, but make sure you don't exploit them. I tell all of my students to never give away their work for too little money, even though they are students they still possess the design skils required to do the task and that is why they're being asked to help out in the first place.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:24 AM   #7
CW Jones
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobBongo View Post
Aye, but make sure you don't exploit them. I tell all of my students to never give away their work for too little money, even though they are students they still possess the design skils required to do the task and that is why they're being asked to help out in the first place.
Very true. I use to sell myself short, then after a few happy customers, I upped what I charged (every job was different). People will still pay for well done design work.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:51 AM   #8
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
HELL NO!
Actually, it can be against forum rules. Job offers cannot be made outside of the Marketplace, and the OP does not have enough posts for that forum. As long as the thread stays on the subject of "where" can help be found and not people being hired from here, the thread can stay open. Otherwise it will be closed and possibly deleted.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:19 AM   #9
CW Jones
macrumors 6502

Ya it doesn't seem like he is looking for someone from here. Just trying to find someone in general.(for now at least)

My point was also that is was not inappropriate, while yes it might be in the wrong section, its not inappropriate to ask for where and say he is willing to pay. That's more what I was responding to.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Out of interest, what kind of thing are you looking for in a logo?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Whitesockcat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ya it doesn't seem like he is looking for someone from here.
Actually, I was hoping to find someone via this forum. I guess I'm off to craigslist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes Monster View Post
Out of interest, what kind of thing are you looking for in a logo?
Clear, concise and graphic. Possibly with one color plus black or grey. I am a still life photographer. Regardless, I guess this thread has to close or move.

Last edited by dejo; Oct 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Avoid consecutive posting. Please use multi-quote.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:52 PM   #12
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesockcat View Post
Regardless, I guess this thread has to close or move.
No reason to close this thread; the question may still be answered and perhaps provide useful information to others. No reason to move this thread; seems to be in the appropriate forum.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:36 PM   #13
CW Jones
macrumors 6502

Since outside links seem to be allowed, I would check this thread out and see what others are doing (just don't copy theirs!)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ighlight=logos

Best of luck!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 02:11 PM   #14
MattSepeta
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MattSepeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
Actually, it can be against forum rules. Job offers cannot be made outside of the Marketplace, and the OP does not have enough posts for that forum. As long as the thread stays on the subject of "where" can help be found and not people being hired from here, the thread can stay open. Otherwise it will be closed and possibly deleted.
Why is that? I'm simply curious what the harm is in allowing new posters to solicit paid work in the proper forums? Would the mods rather the new poster go elsewhere to find a contractor? Isn't that harmful to the community?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 02:19 PM   #15
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSepeta View Post
Why is that? I'm simply curious what the harm is in allowing new posters to solicit paid work in the proper forums? Would the mods rather the new poster go elsewhere to find a contractor? Isn't that harmful to the community?
Scam?

To OP, best to go to your community college, some make nice work for a reasonable price.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 02:24 PM   #16
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Well, the Marketplace is considered the proper forum. The Marketplace Rules page explains this fairly well I think, and is what I make my decisions from. The rules are designed to be beneficial to the community as a whole, though there are always going to be trade-offs. Having the minimum posts requirement helps keep away scammers that create accounts for this sole purpose. Though, I know there have been discussions about the 250 post requirement being kind of high (example).
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:27 PM   #17
bluetooth
macrumors 6502a

You could always look online at various "Hire for Work" sites. I have a friend who freelances as a designer at the site below and has nothing but positive things to say from his experiences.

ie. http://www.logodesignguru.com/Logo-d...w_it_works.asp

Basically, you can name your own price when you list your project and the more you invest, the more designs you’ll receive from different designers. Prize amounts (amounts you are willing to pay) vary from $179 to over $5000.

Keep in mind that Logo Design Guru will charge you $19 and 7.5% of the prize money for holding the project. You can also add additional services to your Project if so required.

You Pay = Total Prize Money (awarded to the design of your choice) +$19 listing fee + 7.5% processing fee.

There are some very good designers within this site but keep in mind that you should be prepared to list at least $400-$500 to get some bites from real, seasoned designers. You can also browse the designers portfolios, so if you see a style you like you can contact that designer.

I don't have first hand experience with these sites but have had a few friends who design work within them and most of their experiences have been quite positive.

Maybe if anyone else has experience with these sites they can chime in...

http://www.logodesignguru.com/

Personally, I would recommend looking for a local design agency or freelance designer as it usually better to work one-on-one of face to face with a designer for communication purposes but as I said, if you are unable to find anyone decent locally, sites like logodesignguru could be a viable option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-05 at 5.27.19 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	254584  
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
In the past, we've had people here not pay for the work. This is an issue that seems to come up from time to time, specifically in this forum and the web development forum. One particular case that comes to mind, that I spent a lot of time with, slowly playing out over months, lots of PMs and emails... and still, the designer went unpaid in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
Personally, I would recommend looking for a local design agency or freelance designer as it usually better to work one-on-one of face to face with a designer for communication purposes.
Can't stress this enough. Successful design solutions aren't a commodity, it's a process.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:56 AM   #19
credia
macrumors newbie

Hello,
What a nice sharing, I am a newbie for this forum site.
Thanks
credia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics