Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135454-left_4_dead_2_store.jpg

Following on this weekend's announcement, Valve's Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac is now available through the Steam store.

Through the Steam Play functionality, existing Windows users can download the Mac version for free. New customers can also play on either platform while purchasing only once.

As a launch promotion, Valve is offering Left 4 Dead 2 at 66% off, with a single license priced at $6.79 and a four-pack priced at $20.39.

Article Link: Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac Now Available

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Wow, now I really can't wait to get home from work! I was hoping that it would be on a promotion, and would have been ecstatic with 50% off, but to get L4D2 for $6.79 is just a steal!

Now I just have to get away from TF2 for long enough to download L4D2! :)

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Bargain to say the least. Pity we probably cant play until tomorrow due to the servers being busy.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wow, what a deal! I love the Steam Play games.

Pity Civilization V isn't cross platform tho. :(

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
This is fantastic news, L4D2 on PC was starting to lose popularity, now there should be a fresh influx of new people to play with. Hopefully reviving it a bit.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Negative

Gave Negative only because of MacRumors.com's decision to place such a graphic image on their home page.

Update: At least I have the guts to tell why I gave it a negative unlike some that would click it and not justify their reason.
Update 2: Looks like they changed the pic. Good for MacRumors!

Helmigurt

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Austria
"Servers are busy at the moment"

Why do I get that with every new Steam for Mac game I try downloading during the first few hours after release!

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Steam for Mac has been great since its implementation!

Keep bringing some great titles to the Mac!

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Gave Negative only because of MacRumors.com's decision to place such a graphic image on their home page.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to feel about that except to say you were probably one of the people who complained about the Taliban moniker being in the upcoming Medal of Honor game.

It's false logic here at work. You have tv shows with people being shot up but raise ruckus at the first sight of a little cleavage.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Noob question: can I play without being online? I'd get my butt kicked anyway. I just would like to play the computer. Is that possible?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Get a new graphics card for that machine dude. Get the most out of it ;)

But I don't game! I hear the fan on it whirl up every time I blow up an image in iPhoto though but other than that, it serves my needs just fine. I don't want to spend $300+ on somethign that will get very limited use which is why I havea PS3 and Xbox360. :p

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US

Wow, really?

Anyway, this is great news. Left 3 Dead is a great series, and the fact that it is now on Mac is almost as good as the fact that is is currently under seven bucks. :D I love Valve.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
But I don't game! I hear the fan on it whirl up every time I blow up an image in iPhoto though but other than that, it serves my needs just fine. I don't want to spend $300+ on somethign that will get very limited use which is why I havea PS3 and Xbox360. :p

Then you can pick up the game on Xbox 360!

Noob question: can I play without being online? I'd get my butt kicked anyway. I just would like to play the computer. Is that possible?

Yes, it's tons of fun even in single player. The AI doesn't use pipebombs, boomer bile, or molotovs, though. And I've never seen one use a defib unit.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Hmm, I'm not sure how to feel about that except to say you were probably one of the people who complained about the Taliban moniker being in the upcoming Medal of Honor game.

It's false logic here at work. You have tv shows with people being shot up but raise ruckus at the first sight of a little cleavage.

It's hardly "ruckus", it's a valid point, particularly from a site that's typically not a problem to view at work (while I don't have a problem with it, I've visited plenty of workplaces where it'd be questionable).

It's also not false logic if the person who commented on it also avoids images of TV shows with people being shot up while browsing, again particularly if it's at work. The false logic is judging someone merely because they weren't happy with an unwelcome image on a site that does not regularly feature images of that nature.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
To be fair it was initially an in-game shot with bloody zombies. Not arguing either way, though.

I didn't think they were retract it based on a single criticism.

Next time I see Steve Jobs' emaciated figure on the FP, I'll complain and hope he gets edited out.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's hardly "ruckus", it's a valid point, particularly from a site that's typically not a problem to view at work (while I don't have a problem with it, I've visited plenty of workplaces where it'd be questionable).

It's also not false logic if the person who commented on it also avoids images of TV shows with people being shot up while browsing, again particularly if it's at work. The false logic is judging someone merely because they weren't happy with an unwelcome image on a site that does not regularly feature images of that nature.

I'm actually in agreement with you but wanted to take a jab at the violence vs nudity polarity and it was a perfect opportunity.

I remember watching Airwolf and A-Team with cars being shot up with machine guns and people flipping in the air but we only get to see Loni Anderson's big cleavage once a week and they even cancelled that show! I was more partial to Bailey Quarters anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.