Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
When using handbrake on a standard DVD, Does the new Apple TV upconverts your movie to 720P when you play it?

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes. The reason I say this is because when I'm watching SD netflix, my tv says it's getting a 720p signal. This should mean that the Atv is taking the 480 SD netflix signal and upconverting it to 720p. When watching the same SD video on my ps3 netflix, my tv says it is receiving a 480p signal. I could be all wrong about this so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes. The reason I say this is because when I'm watching SD netflix, my tv says it's getting a 720p signal. This should mean that the Atv is taking the 480 SD netflix signal and upconverting it to 720p. When watching the same SD video on my ps3 netflix, my tv says it is receiving a 480p signal. I could be all wrong about this so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I think all the ATV2 is doing is playing the video in a "full screen mode". Example: You're watching a YouTube video and you click the full screen button. It does not mean that the video automatically become HD or what ever resolution screen you have. I just make things bigger. Unlike the PS3 which outputs the stream how it really is.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
The Apple TV only outputs at 720p. So it has to upscale or downscale any video of a different size, including SD video, Youtube video, or whatever. This doesn't increase the quality or actual resolution of the image, just the size. (It does mean that you can't use an external video scaler which might do a better job.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.