Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:53 PM   #1
ooartist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Send a message via AIM to ooartist
How To Make Money Selling Your Photos!

I thought I would let everyone here know about this place I found(ShutterStock). You join and you can upload photos that you have taken (must be at least 2.5MP). The photos go thru a approval process and if they get approved they get added to a stock photo library of 55K+ photos that get searched by subscribers. If your photo gets downloaded you get .20 cents (thats per download)! I have uploaded a lot of my shots (55) just in the past 2 weeks and I have already made $4 dollars! I know your thinking "dude that's not a lot of money". Think about it thats off of 55 photos in just 2 weeks. I have about 1000+ photos that I have taken and the more I put on there site the more downloads I get and more money!

Well anyway I have become addicted to taken stock photos now so I thought I would try to get some of the Mac-Heads (usually aspiring photographers) out there addicted too.

Check it out:

http://submit.shutterstock.com/

Enjoy!

ooartist

Last edited by Doctor Q; Dec 31, 2004 at 08:04 PM. Reason: removed referrer code
ooartist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
I don't know whether or not to think this is legit. It seems too good to be true, but then again... it looks legit...

Has anyone else had experience with these people?
__________________
Love.
Capt Underpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:56 PM   #3
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Seems like a really good idea! Assuming their quality process is any good, and they have at least vaguely google-worthy searching technology, then it would be a real boon to SOHO or educational uses of stock photography, like student newspapers and so on....
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040
 
Kwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
I think he gets some money for reffering people too.
Kwyjibo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oooh, in that case, can we get a couple of funny and mildly insulting images in this thread before it gets wastelanded?
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603
 
Mechcozmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Sounds too good to be true. Then again, it is a really good idea. Who wants to be the Guinea Pig?
__________________
This is not the signature you're looking for.
This is not the signature we're looking for.
You can scroll down now.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:13 AM   #7
CubaTBird
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
TINSTAAFL

"their is no such thing as a free lunch"

economy class 101
CubaTBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:36 AM   #8
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
Sounds too good to be true. Then again, it is a really good idea. Who wants to be the Guinea Pig?
I officially nominate Mechcozmo.
__________________
Love.
Capt Underpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:09 AM   #9
pseudobrit
macrumors 68040
 
pseudobrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Send a message via AIM to pseudobrit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwyjibo
I think he gets some money for reffering people too.
Yup. Hence the "ref=1585" code in his link.
__________________
Starting with a mistake, a remorseless logician can end up in bedlam
pseudobrit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:50 PM   #10
superfunkomatic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: calgary, ab canada
there are other services that let you submit your digital photos, or professionally scanned ones and sell them online for a profit -
check out - http://www.istockphoto.com.

i don't get money from any referrals, just a cool site and cheap for stock photos and royalty free.
__________________
if common sense were common, everyone would have it.
superfunkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:37 PM   #11
ooartist
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Send a message via AIM to ooartist
You betcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudobrit
Yup. Hence the "ref=1585" code in his link.
I get a whole .03 for ever download that a person I refer gets.

This is not a scam. I made the top 50 downloaded pictures this week at ShutterStock.

This is the photo that got me to the top 50:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtm...l&attr=&value=


ooartist
ooartist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603
 
Mechcozmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
I officially nominate Mechcozmo.
I officially nominate Capt Underpants. You posted first, you should try it first. Its an honor.
__________________
This is not the signature you're looking for.
This is not the signature we're looking for.
You can scroll down now.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:02 PM   #13
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think someone should upload one of edesignuk's funny pictures and then see if he changes it into something evil!
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:40 PM   #14
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
I officially nominate Capt Underpants. You posted first, you should try it first. Its an honor.
If I ever did decide to try it, I would take the "ref=1585" out of the link. This should really be counted as an advertisement, given that the poster is making money off of very person that signs up via his link. I wish this deal could be true, though... but we won't know until someone guinea pigs it. I wonder who's willing to do that

The poster does have some credibility, though, because he/she is a macrumors "member", and not just a n00b.
__________________
Love.

Last edited by Capt Underpants; Dec 31, 2004 at 03:43 PM.
Capt Underpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:58 PM   #15
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
If I ever did decide to try it, I would take the "ref=1585" out of the link. This should really be counted as an advertisement, given that the poster is making money off of very person that signs up via his link. I wish this deal could be true, though... but we won't know until someone guinea pigs it. I wonder who's willing to do that

The poster does have some credibility, though, because he/she is a macrumors "member", and not just a n00b.
Yes, that refer number makes it sound a lot like a multi level marketing plan.
__________________
If you are the type of person who solves all their problems with a hammer, because it is the only tool in your toolbox. It would be wise of you to never get in an argument with a gunsmith.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:10 PM   #16
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
Let's see: I currently charge between $25 to $175 for a single use of one of my flower photos in a magazine or a book (which is already well below the professional photography standard prices), and that's limited to a single use with a defined print run. People pirate photos from my website www.everyrose.com all the time, but they're at least getting only a 40 Kb low res.

With this online stock photo plan, someone could download my 2.5 Mb photo and do WTF they like with it, and I would get $0.20.

Yeah, I'm going to be all over this opportunity, yessirree.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:37 PM   #17
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Though it's an awsome deal for the person downloading the stock photos from this site...

For one low price... ie, instant advertising campaign for $129.

If you grab all the pictures you'll need for the year during the first month.
__________________
If you are the type of person who solves all their problems with a hammer, because it is the only tool in your toolbox. It would be wise of you to never get in an argument with a gunsmith.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:03 PM   #18
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Let's see: I currently charge between $25 to $175 for a single use of one of my flower photos in a magazine or a book (which is already well below the professional photography standard prices), and that's limited to a single use with a defined print run. People pirate photos from my website www.everyrose.com all the time, but they're at least getting only a 40 Kb low res.

With this online stock photo plan, someone could download my 2.5 Mb photo and do WTF they like with it, and I would get $0.20.

Yeah, I'm going to be all over this opportunity, yessirree.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
CanadaRAM, this might sound like a silly question however I hope you are watermarking your images even the low quality ones, much better to be safe than sorry.

Even if the image is low quality I can still enlarge it with a few photo magic tricks and even if its has watermarks I can do a few tricks the as well. However the point is to make it as difficult and a trying process to the end users not that I would rip someone creative hard work(s), however just a thought for the future.

If you have watermarks then I apologize for taking your time. Nice images though it bring me back to my memories of BC island and mainland.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:13 PM   #19
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000
 
Daveman Deluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Let's see: I currently charge between $25 to $175 for a single use of one of my flower photos in a magazine or a book (which is already well below the professional photography standard prices), and that's limited to a single use with a defined print run. People pirate photos from my website www.everyrose.com all the time, but they're at least getting only a 40 Kb low res.

With this online stock photo plan, someone could download my 2.5 Mb photo and do WTF they like with it, and I would get $0.20.

Yeah, I'm going to be all over this opportunity, yessirree.
Yes, but what about all of the other photos in storage that you could never sell for any price? That's the purpose of submitting photographs to stock photo companies--they're a convenient way to get photos out to places that need such photos, but would never contact photographers individually.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:16 PM   #20
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman Deluxe
Yes, but what about all of the other photos in storage that you could never sell for any price? That's the purpose of submitting photographs to stock photo companies--they're a convenient way to get photos out to places that need such photos, but would never contact photographers individually.

I disagree to a point here, even if the photos that (s)he does not sell the whole reason here is $0.20 USD for a single image is way to little considering what they might be making on it maybe. Maybe a higher price $1.00 USD maybe sounds better then again we all have our price.

And also the lack of control on your images/photos, no way of knows who will do what or make X amount of prints for $0.20 USD.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 06:46 PM   #21
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
>And also the lack of control on your images/photos, no way of knows who will do what or make X amount of prints for $0.20 USD.

Yeah, that's the thing.

Traditionally, the payment to the copyright owner for use (not ownership!) of a photo is scaled to the image size, the number that will be published, the number of times it wil be used and what the intended use is.

The publisher of a limited run book that publishes a 1" square photo pays less than a corporation would for the same image that would blown up to full page size and be the centre of an advertising campaign in millions of newspapers published worldwide.

For $0.20 I am giving away complete creative control and the right to negotiate the terms of use of the image?

Not even for a photo of my cat's litterbox. If it's worth publishing, it's worth paying for.

You know what a viable market would be -- $0.20 for a web-only image - low res, not suitable for print work - sure; people would buy it to put it on their web page or make a inkjet greeting card. But the outfit wants 2.5 Mb images. That's a no-go for me.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:07 PM   #22
Doctor Q
Administrator
 
Doctor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
We don't allow people to advertise commercial sites (without paying arn), but we'll give ooartist the benefit of the doubt and assume that the purpose of this thread is to alert you to a site you might find interesting. I removed the referrer code from the link.
__________________
Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this cylindrical 12-core Mac Pro with three 4K displays, FirePro graphics, and Thunderbolt 2 could be very dangerous.
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 06:07 PM   #23
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040
 
CrackedButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 51st State of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
>And also the lack of control on your images/photos, no way of knows who will do what or make X amount of prints for $0.20 USD.

Yeah, that's the thing.

Traditionally, the payment to the copyright owner for use (not ownership!) of a photo is scaled to the image size, the number that will be published, the number of times it wil be used and what the intended use is.

The publisher of a limited run book that publishes a 1" square photo pays less than a corporation would for the same image that would blown up to full page size and be the centre of an advertising campaign in millions of newspapers published worldwide.

For $0.20 I am giving away complete creative control and the right to negotiate the terms of use of the image?

Not even for a photo of my cat's litterbox. If it's worth publishing, it's worth paying for.

You know what a viable market would be -- $0.20 for a web-only image - low res, not suitable for print work - sure; people would buy it to put it on their web page or make a inkjet greeting card. But the outfit wants 2.5 Mb images. That's a no-go for me.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
I'm glad you posted what you did, I was tempted but you gave me room for thought. I have loads of photos which I have sitting on my drive doing nothing, some which I cannot take to my university interview. I was going to look into it but not now.
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee
http://jonathanjk.com
CrackedButter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 06:36 PM   #24
Sir_Giggles
Banned
 
Sir_Giggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I see nothing wrong with linking it to a referral. I would not have known about it otherwise, and if I find it profitable, the person who made the attempt to introduce it should be fairly compensated. No ulterior motives.

Now the question of the site, too bad there is now way to order single photos. In a typical month, I may only use 4-5 images in my design work so paying $129 USD seems excessive.
Sir_Giggles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 06:46 PM   #25
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Giggles
I see nothing wrong with linking it to a referral. I would not have known about it otherwise, and if I find it profitable, the person who made the attempt to introduce it should be fairly compensated. No ulterior motives...
Just part of making people advertising for cash to pay for a banner/ad on the site.

The majority of people here don't see anything wrong with that, people can introduce their Mac-related Website in MacScene (once) -- as long as they don't make it smell like they are spamming out an advertisement.

However, it was the referral numbers with the freeiPod stuff, which basically made referral numbers a bad word -- which can quickly get you banned.

The mods gave the member the benefit of the doubt, by only removing the referral number and not banning him.
__________________
If you are the type of person who solves all their problems with a hammer, because it is the only tool in your toolbox. It would be wise of you to never get in an argument with a gunsmith.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much money you make? Crobilss App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 25 Oct 1, 2012 05:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC