Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFrankie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
I just hooked up my new AppleTV. I enabled Home Sharing and was able to connect to my iTunes library from the AppleTV.

I chose a movie that is stored on my hard drive to watch. Based on what I can tell, it's uploading the movie through Apple/iTunes via the internet and then streaming it to the AppleTV. It's not streaming it directly from my MacBook on the local network.

I'm looking at the upload speed for my connection that is currently being used and it's peaked at 100k that my DSL is capable of. It's not utilizing the full speed of the local network. At 100k, it would take forever to buffer a 2gb-3gb movie. This is proving to be correct because after 15 minutes it has only buffered 2-3 frames of the movie.

Anyone else experiencing this? Why wouldn't it create a local connection and stream over the 100mbps local network?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
I just hooked up my new AppleTV. I enabled Home Sharing and was able to connect to my iTunes library from the AppleTV.

I chose a movie that is stored on my hard drive to watch. Based on what I can tell, it's uploading the movie through Apple/iTunes via the internet and then streaming it to the AppleTV. It's not streaming it directly from my MacBook on the local network.

I'm looking at the upload speed for my connection that is currently being used and it's peaked at 100k that my DSL is capable of. It's not utilizing the full speed of the local network. At 100k, it would take forever to buffer a 2gb-3gb movie. This is proving to be correct because after 15 minutes it has only buffered 2-3 frames of the movie.

Anyone else experiencing this? Why wouldn't it create a local connection and stream over the 100mbps local network?

There is no way that it's streaming to Apple and then back to you. There's something wrong with your network but it's not that.

iFrankie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
I plugged my MacBook directly into the router via an ethernet cable. Things are working much better.

The movies started playing almost immediately and the upload speed from the MacBook peaks around 900+ kb/s.

I'll need to investigate further why the transmission rate via wireless is so low.

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
It's because IMO wireless sucks, i try to avoid it as much as i can when it comes to high bit rate media streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.