Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
My macbook pro has been turning off randomly lately, at first I thought it was the power connector but I took it apart and made sure it was securely plugged in.

The genius bar said there was nothing in the console but I found the following several times

10/5/10 9:06:50 PM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: -2
10/5/10 9:21:02 PM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: -2

Does anyone have an idea what -2 is caused by. I have tried plugging the cable in twice and it seems to work for a while then ceases to work.

Reactions: grahamperrin

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I verified a few things.

It isn't software like the apple tech suggested as it happens in OS X, Windows or even the grey screen asking me to pick which OS I want (after holding option)

It isn't my battery, also suggested by the apple tech, it happens regardless of whether or not I am plugged in.

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Doubtful, most of the time it is more than comfortable on my lap. I have SMC fan control running all the time and it happens regardless of cpu temp being 45 or 80 degrees Celsius.

When it shuts down it makes a noise akin to the noise that is made when you hold down the power button (that little high pitched noise that dies out) and there is no shutdown, it just cuts out instantly as if I pulled the battery.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I am have the same exact issue with the same error code. There is no reference to this code(-2) in the service manual.

It is becoming more frequent for me too.

I have a MBP Santa Rosa 2.2 ghz.

davishmcclurg

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Did anyone ever find out what was happening? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro (15") running 10.7.3.

It's always the same in logs: "Previous Shutdown Cause: -2"

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
For me, it was the logic board. I had two replaced.

Have you got AppleCare...? If you don't it could be expensive.

Luckily, Apple have decided to replace my 2008 Core 2 Duo with a Quad i7!
AppleCare is definitely worth getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.