Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Tendoboy
macrumors newbie

Red face Network 8500 to 2009 iMac ? or Hook up Jaz Drive?

My dilema is trying to get items off my Jaz drive 1gb onto my iMac. I read up on a usb to scsi cable, some forums state it doesn't work. I have mostly images I need to get.

So either way, if I could hook up the jaz and network the 8500 to my new intel iMac and pull the items off- would be great, if anyone can help?
Tendoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Honestly for something like this, without some intermediary device like an old iMac or eMac running 10.3 or 10.4, I would probably use Windows and Basilisk. If you install the Basilisk networking driver, and install like Mac OS 7.5, you can set up file shares and access them. Recent versions of OSX completely removed the Appletalk file sharing drivers, so it's a pain with a modern Mac.

I actually installed Windows XP (probably the best version for this) in a VirtualBox VM running in Snow Leopard, installed everything and pulled the data off a bunch of pre-PowerMac Quadras after putting the Snow Leopard Mac, the VirtualBox XP and the Basilisk Mac OS 7.5 in the same network and subnet. The big thing is to make sure VirtualBox is set up to use bridged networking instead of host networking.

COI or Classic-On-Intel might also work and require a few less steps, though I never tried this method.

Last edited by ulbador; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
ulbador is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:08 PM   #3
dmr727
macrumors G3

Can you connect the 8500 to the internet and upload the images somewhere, then download them to the iMac?
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr727 View Post
Can you connect the 8500 to the internet and upload the images somewhere, then download them to the iMac?
You might be able to find an FTP program somewhere as that is one Internet protocol that hasn't really evolved in a very very long time. Unfortunately you are still at the point where you would have to find a way to get the FTP program on the old Mac, and about the only way would be filesharing method I mentioned above. Any browser that would run on that would be so archaic that you barely even visit google.com in it.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5
666sheep
macrumors 68040

There many years passed since I've used pre X OS, but I recall that it should be possible to share files via TCP/IP between OS 8/9 and OS X.
OP, if you have one of above installed on 8500, try this way: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2453
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:21 PM   #6
dmr727
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulbador View Post
You might be able to find an FTP program somewhere as that is one Internet protocol that hasn't really evolved in a very very long time. Unfortunately you are still at the point where you would have to find a way to get the FTP program on the old Mac, and about the only way would be filesharing method I mentioned above.
I wouldn't run a media heavy site with an 8500, but I think even a really old browser should be able to navigate to a site to download Fetch. If he's running OS 8 or OS 9, it'd be even better. I have a Quadra 700 that can still do these things well enough, and it's a heck of a lot slower than an 8500.
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
There many years passed since I've used pre X OS, but I recall that it should be possible to share files via TCP/IP between OS 8/9 and OS X.
OP, if you have one of above installed on 8500, try this way: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2453
They removed AppleTalk support for this in Snow Leopard.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs