Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:58 AM   #1
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
ATV not marking episodes as watched

I've noticed that when I watch TV episodes from my iTunes library on my new Apple TV that are marked as Unwatched (and have the blue dot next to them), it remains marked even after I have watched the episodes. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is a way to have the ATV change the status to "Watched" and remove the blue dot, after I have watched the program on my ATV.
gramirez2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
mode101
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I've noticed that when I watch TV episodes from my iTunes library on my new Apple TV that are marked as Unwatched (and have the blue dot next to them), it remains marked even after I have watched the episodes. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is a way to have the ATV change the status to "Watched" and remove the blue dot, after I have watched the program on my ATV.
If you are using the iPhone remote app, there is an icon on the bottom left of the control screen that will allow you to set a show's status as watched. If you're using the standard remote, I'm not sure... I'm also not sure if there is a way to have the AppleTV do it automatically.
mode101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3
JeffLebowski41
macrumors regular

yeah, it's an annoying little bug. as said, the remote app will do it or if you are using the included remote just hold down the select button and the menu will pop up to do it.
JeffLebowski41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
JLB-UK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I noticed this a couple of times when watching TV episodes. Though on occassions in did mark them as watched.

You can manually mark them as watched through the AppleTV using the remote. Navigate to the episode, press and hold the middle button on the selected show, a sub menu is then displayed which you can select "Mark as Watched"

Hope that helps
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:24 AM   #5
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB-UK View Post
I noticed this a couple of times when watching TV episodes. Though on occassions in did mark them as watched.

You can manually mark them as watched through the AppleTV using the remote. Navigate to the episode, press and hold the middle button on the selected show, a sub menu is then displayed which you can select "Mark as Watched"

Hope that helps
Excellent, thanks!!!
gramirez2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Surf Monkey
macrumors 6502a

I assume we're talking about iTunes episodes here? I mention it because I notice that the AppleTV's implementation of Netflix doesn't show episodes as watched either, which is VERY frustrating.
Surf Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:05 PM   #7
illitrate23
macrumors 6502

this happens occasionally on the iPad too so I think it's likely a bug that'll be fixed in a round of firmware and iTunes updates

good spot with the iphone remote button though - that'll do for me for the time being
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:34 PM   #8
ericvmazzone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB-UK View Post

Hope that helps
Anytime I do this my AppleTV resets back to the main menu and the status does not change. What could be the problem?
ericvmazzone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:02 PM   #9
josejrp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvmazzone View Post
Anytime I do this my AppleTV resets back to the main menu and the status does not change. What could be the problem?
I noticed that happens on my Apple TV if I mark an episode as watched while I am in the "Unwatched Shows" section. If I do it in the other sections, the Apple TV behaves normally.
josejrp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
chriso89
macrumors regular

i get this in podcast. the blue dot comes AFTER i ave seen the podcast:P
chriso89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:01 PM   #11
ericvmazzone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejrp View Post
I noticed that happens on my Apple TV if I mark an episode as watched while I am in the "Unwatched Shows" section. If I do it in the other sections, the Apple TV behaves normally.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
ericvmazzone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:36 AM   #12
ruralguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejrp View Post
Thanks for this - it has been progressively annoying me as I add more shows! The workaround of updating in other sections works fine for me.
ruralguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:16 PM   #13
ruralguy
macrumors newbie

Fixed in Apple TV update!

Happy to report that this issue now appears to have been fixed!

I have just watched a TV episode and it then updated as having been watched. I then went in to update the other previously viewed episodes from within the 'unwatched' tab (which used to cause the Apple TV to reset), and all seems to be working properly.

Anyone else noticed this?
ruralguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:53 PM   #14
iggypod
macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too. Finally!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater