Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
I've noticed that when I watch TV episodes from my iTunes library on my new Apple TV that are marked as Unwatched (and have the blue dot next to them), it remains marked even after I have watched the episodes. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is a way to have the ATV change the status to "Watched" and remove the blue dot, after I have watched the program on my ATV.

mode101

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I've noticed that when I watch TV episodes from my iTunes library on my new Apple TV that are marked as Unwatched (and have the blue dot next to them), it remains marked even after I have watched the episodes. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is a way to have the ATV change the status to "Watched" and remove the blue dot, after I have watched the program on my ATV.

If you are using the iPhone remote app, there is an icon on the bottom left of the control screen that will allow you to set a show's status as watched. If you're using the standard remote, I'm not sure... I'm also not sure if there is a way to have the AppleTV do it automatically.

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
yeah, it's an annoying little bug. as said, the remote app will do it or if you are using the included remote just hold down the select button and the menu will pop up to do it.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK

I noticed this a couple of times when watching TV episodes. Though on occassions in did mark them as watched.

You can manually mark them as watched through the AppleTV using the remote. Navigate to the episode, press and hold the middle button on the selected show, a sub menu is then displayed which you can select "Mark as Watched"

Hope that helps :)

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
I noticed this a couple of times when watching TV episodes. Though on occassions in did mark them as watched.

You can manually mark them as watched through the AppleTV using the remote. Navigate to the episode, press and hold the middle button on the selected show, a sub menu is then displayed which you can select "Mark as Watched"

Excellent, thanks!!! :)

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I assume we're talking about iTunes episodes here? I mention it because I notice that the AppleTV's implementation of Netflix doesn't show episodes as watched either, which is VERY frustrating.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
this happens occasionally on the iPad too so I think it's likely a bug that'll be fixed in a round of firmware and iTunes updates

good spot with the iphone remote button though - that'll do for me for the time being

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI

Anytime I do this my AppleTV resets back to the main menu and the status does not change. What could be the problem?

josejrp

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Anytime I do this my AppleTV resets back to the main menu and the status does not change. What could be the problem?

I noticed that happens on my Apple TV if I mark an episode as watched while I am in the "Unwatched Shows" section. If I do it in the other sections, the Apple TV behaves normally.

ruralguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
UK
I noticed that happens on my Apple TV if I mark an episode as watched while I am in the "Unwatched Shows" section. If I do it in the other sections, the Apple TV behaves normally.

Thanks for this - it has been progressively annoying me as I add more shows! The workaround of updating in other sections works fine for me.

ruralguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
UK
Fixed in Apple TV update!

Happy to report that this issue now appears to have been fixed!

I have just watched a TV episode and it then updated as having been watched. I then went in to update the other previously viewed episodes from within the 'unwatched' tab (which used to cause the Apple TV to reset), and all seems to be working properly.

Anyone else noticed this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.