Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
A friend of mine just asked me "If I had an XSERVE and an XSERVE RAID could you set it up for me?"

Of course I said "Yes" without thinking.

(Anything to get my hands on some funky hardware)

But anyway, what I wanna know is - for a quite experienced user, how difficult are the XSERVE's to set up? I managed to get Windows Server 2k3 up and running reasonably well on a small network, and I can't imagine Apple Server's being MORE difficult to operate...?

Hob

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
hob said:
A friend of mine just asked me "If I had an XSERVE and an XSERVE RAID could you set it up for me?"

Of course I said "Yes" without thinking.

(Anything to get my hands on some funky hardware)

But anyway, what I wanna know is - for a quite experienced user, how difficult are the XSERVE's to set up? I managed to get Windows Server 2k3 up and running reasonably well on a small network, and I can't imagine Apple Server's being MORE difficult to operate...?

Hob
Two things I should bring to your attention:

For the majority of server users, the GUI setup and configuration utilities built into Mac OS X Server will "serve" you well (pun intended).

Apple's website for Mac OS X Server will be a useful resource, as will Mac Help (built into Mac OS X Server) in getting the XServe set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.