Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am thinking about getting an old Apple TV for my sister and her family for christmas. They don't have internet nor a computer, but they do have a decent 40" HDTV.

With the old Apple TV, can I slap a bunch of movies on the internal Hard Drive and basically call it a day?

I'd really like to load up a bunch of movies, give them the Apple TV and just let them use it whenever they'd like and watch whatever movies I load on there.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is possible, but hard-ish and I have never done it. Try searching using MRoogle or Google to what you'd be up against.

billselak

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
aTV flash

Cool thanks.

Is it also possible to exchange out the internal hard drive for something bigger?

For $50, you can download a hack for Apple TV. aTV Flash (http://firecore.com/atvflash) downloads onto a flash drive. You plug the flash drive into the 1st gen Apple TV's USB port, restart, and you're done. Once it's hacked, you can add an external hard drive to the USB port. I have an older 500GB 2.5" drive plugged into my Apple TV, and I can quickly access about 40 movies from the drive. I'm definitely a fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.