Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Miss.Michele
macrumors newbie

Smile How do I restore an iphone 3gs without upgrading it?

I am not a techie person, but I am not a moron either. Please explain it to me as if you were talking to your grandmother.

I have an iphone 3gs which I need to restore because the ipod has stopped working. I have backed up all of my stuff and tried to restore it last night, but my computer told me that I had to upgrade to the new iphone system (4.01, maybe?) I have been told that this version is annoying and that I do not want to upgrade, but I do not know how to restore without upgrading.

I have read other posts about this which refer to things like Cydia, SHSH and hashes. I do not know what any of these things are.

Is it going to be easy for someone like me to restore without upgrading?

Is the new system really that bad?

What advice do you have for me? (And please be nice. Like I said, I am not a technical person, and have not been on a tech forum before.)

Thanks,

Michele
Miss.Michele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Ace134blue
macrumors 6502a

Uhm, there is nothing you can do. You HAVE to upgrade. Who said it's "annoying". Upgrade it, it's better and faster than 4.0x.

If you do not have SSHs, then you can't restore to an older firmware. Apple quit signing those older firmwares, which is where SSHs come in to play. Basically they run through a program like tiny umbrella. Tiny umbrella sorta impersonates apples site, making iTunes think that they are still signing for that firmware through the SSH files. You do not have SSH unless you store them thru tiny umbrella, and since you don't even know what it is, then sorry to say there is nothing you can do.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

For the 3GS, there's really no reason not to upgrade. On the 3G, there's some degradation in performance, but most 3GS users seem to be fine.

As mentioned above, you don't have the option to not upgrade if a restore is necessary unless you've taken the precaution of storing your SHSH files for a given firmware version while Apple still signs that version. At this time, only 4.1 is being signed, so that is the only version you can restore to. It's unfortunate, but Apple doesn't provide for firmware downgrades.

Restore to 4.1 and enjoy the new features!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Miss.Michele
macrumors newbie

Smile Thanks, guys! I'll be going from 3.1 to 4.1, actually.

Are there any really big differences that you can think of that I will notice making that change?

Thanks,
Michele
Miss.Michele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

If you don't care about jb or unlocking then mind as well go up to 4.1
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting