Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
I was wondering if anyone with a widescreen iMac or one of the cinema displays and a ruler could answer this question:

What are the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the viewable are of the widescreen displays?

I would like to know if the new widescreen displays are a true 16:9 apsect ratio, as widescreen HDTV TVs are. I have looked over the specs of the 17" iMac and the Cinema monitors on the Apple website, and although they mention diagonal size and pixel resolutions, they don't have the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the screen itself.

By doing some math on the pixel resolutions, I find that:

17" iMac display - 1440 x 900 = 14.4:9 aspect ratio
23" cinema display - 1920 x 1200 = 14.4:9 aspect ratio
22" cinema display - 1600 x 1024 = 14.1:9 aspect ratio

The pixel resolutions might translate into a true 16:9 HDTV aspect ratio if the pixels themselves were not perfectly square, but only a direct ruler measurement would tell this for sure.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by DavPeanut
Its 16:10

Thanks for the info. My calculator tells me that 16:10=14.4:9.

800 on your SAT's? I hate to say this, but it's been long enough that I don't remember my SAT's anymore. :(

fallt

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2001
Ireland
Help!

Help!

Can somebody help me source an Apple desktop picture I need for a project I'm working on. I've attached a screenshot below of the relevant desktop picture. I need the desktop picture as large as possible as I plan on scaling it to A2. So ideally I'm looking for someone with a giganto cinema-sized display who can provide it in the largest pixel dimension possible.

If you have this image (it should be in System Folder/Appearance/etc.) I'd be grateful if you could email it to me at:

chris@rodneymillerassoc.com

Thanks for your help. If you're curious to know what it's for, it's for a competition entry we're submitting. We designed a website for a San Diego based record label Bremsstrahlung Recordings which is based entirely on System 6.0 (http://www.lowercasesound.com) and we thought it would be nice to use one of Apple's newer desktop pictures as a background.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,664

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
this is a bit off the subject of screen ratio's, but you want to use one of Apple wallpapers for your own work? and enter it into a competition?:eek:
i'm not sure about doing stuff like that, but it sounds risky.:p ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.