Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foreignconcepts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
*Before I get into my reasoning for asking this, let me say that I'm asking for comments and opinions based on technology alone - NOT the coverage, or anything else relating to each company and how they serve their customers... or not serve their customers, however you see it.*

I'm not so sure I'd be interested in a CDMA iPhone if Verizon were to offer it. I don't want to say CDMA is "old" technology, because it's being built on just as much as GSM is, but I feel it has limited functionality in the sense that it is limited to North America. What if I end up somewhere not on this continent? GSM is pretty much a worldwide standard, with the exception of a few markets (ie - parts of Asia use CDMA 2000). It's probably safe to say that even Canada will be eventually turning off their CDMA transmitters on their towers (and by eventually, I do mean years from now, but still), as the two large CDMA providers went to GSM last year before the Olympics.

I want some opinions from some techies here. GSM iPhone vs. CDMA iPhone. If both were on the market, carriers aside, what would you choose?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Resale value sucks on CDMA phones. However given the no data and voice at the same time, I choose GSM. May change if i keep dropping calls though.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
GSM. I hate having to contact someone to switch phones. I like being able to swap my sim from my iPhone into my laptop for mobile broadband at no extra charge.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't see how you can leave out coverage.

If you need reliable calls and the GSM or CDMA coverage has holes, then the choice has to be by which has the coverage you need.

Or if you only have GSM EDGE (no 3G) coverage where you live and work, then for sure you'd want the CDMA model for the EVDO speed and incoming call priority.

OTOH, if you were somewhere with reliable UMTS-3G coverage at excellent speeds, the GSM model could be a no-brainer.

If you're one of those whose job depends on simultaneous voice+data, then again the GSM model would be the choice (as long as you have 3G coverage).

GSM. I hate having to contact someone to switch phones.

You don't have to contact anyone to swap Verizon CDMA phones. You can do it yourself either on the web or simply by dialing *228 and using your PIN. I've done it several times a day when trying out code on development handsets.

It can take less time than shutting off a GSM phone, prying it open to get to a SIM under the battery, and then powering up another phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
GSM

Not only for resale value, but for the versatility when traveling abroad and switching between phones. It is the reason why I have no intention to leave AT&T.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Another consideration: your job and GSM TDMA noise.

Example: my son is an audio engineer and he has to turn off his iPhone at times to avoid the dreaded GSM buzz.

Example: ditto at the office around some conference room phone sets that pick up the buzz.

That part of GSM is ancient technology in comparison to the CDMA based radios used for CDMA2000 networks and for UMTS-3G.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
The way i see CDMA vs GSM is much the way i see AM vs FM. Granted they are not truly comparatively the same, there are some similarities.

CDMA is actually a newer technology than GSM, but operates more like AM. It provides a greater range, which is why it became popular in North America in the first place. Greater range means greater coverage, which is ideal in an expansive landscape (as we have here).

Whereas GSM is an older, but more evolved technology. It operates much like FM, greater clarity, more feature rich, but at the loss of range. I prefer GSM, because if implemented properly, in my opinion, it is more capable of delivering a better user experience. Hopefully one day someone with the means/capability will saturate North America with the GSM towers it needs.

I sincerely hope that I sounded like I know what I am talking about (because I don't).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The GSM version of the same model tends to have better battery life with longer talk time than the CDMA variant.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
CDMA because ATT service isn't good (in my area) However, i think the iphone (if it does come to verizon) will be LTE.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Just to clarify, I'm sure when people today refer to GSM, they mean HSDPA/UMTS, and CDMA means EVDO, the 3G technologies. HSDPA is technically WCDMA, but since HSDPA providers usually use GSM as their 2G fallback, those terms are mixed and interchanged frequently.

GSM for obvious reasons (worldwide coverage, simultaneous voice and data, etc), preferably unlocked. The only time I would accept a CDMA phone if it's given to me for free, including the monthly payments.

Even if I don't travel outside the US, I would still pick GSM over CDMA. Do people want to buy a computer/laptop that can only be used in the US? Doubt it.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
GSM for me, can't give up my ability to use the phone functionality and data functionality at the same time. Also I get great coverage from my iPhone 4 in most all places. Though I will admit I have a MicroCell in my house because I live in a early 1900's Victorian home and the walls are pure rock solid plaster and i'm convinced this causes signal degration because as soon as I walk outside I get full bars. Just something weird about my house.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Just to clarify, I'm sure when people today refer to GSM, they mean HSDPA/UMTS, and CDMA means EVDO, the 3G technologies. HSDPA is technically WCDMA, but since HSDPA providers usually use GSM as their 2G fallback, those terms are mixed and interchanged frequently.

Americans tend to lump GSM and UMTS-3G together and call it GSM.

The rest of the world tends to separate them, as they know that UMTS-3G is a different technology tacked onto older GSM systems. There are also countries that are combination CDMA2000 and UMTS-3G with no GSM at all.

(I use UMTS-3G to differentiate that from UMTS-LTE, which is once again a totally different technology, but using the same umbrella UMTS name.)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
supposedly verizon is testing voice over evdo for voice and data at the same time. but verizon's data network is maybe half the speed of AT&T's at this time until LTE phones come out.

i've seen informal studies done and verizon's network averages out to under 1mpbs with AT&T twice that

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I would prefer an UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ iPhone, not a GSM one (though would like to have GSM capability).

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Resale value sucks on CDMA phones. However given the no data and voice at the same time, I choose GSM. May change if i keep dropping calls though.

I've had no problems reselling my 2 Droid 1s, HTC Droid Eris, Droid Incredible for close to what I paid for them.

While their speeds aren't the fastest, I do like Verizon's coverage. It's really nice to have a full 3G signal on a 2000 mile road trip so I can stream Pandora/Subsonic in my car with my Droid X. Using my iPad 3G I can clearly see that AT&T's 3G coverage is inferior for my needs.

Besides, I need to take advantage of my unlimited data plan until Verizon puts the caps on it. :(

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I don't have to contact anyone to swap Verizon CDMA phones. You can do it yourself either on the web or simply by dialing *228 and using your PIN. I've done it several times a day when trying out code on development handsets.

It can take less time than shutting off a GSM phone, prying it open to get to a SIM under the battery, and then powering up another phone.

hmmmm maybe since you're so tech savy that may be the case...most people I know who's CDMA phone breaks or malfunctions (sprint or Verizon) have to go into a store to swap devices (if they're lucky) and more than likely have to ship it off to recieve a replacement...and because of this most CDMA users don't keep old phones sitting around because they view them as disposable...GSM is by far more convenient for flexibility when switching phones for any reason...and don't get me started on traveling overseas and needing to change sim cards on the fly

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Another consideration: your job and GSM TDMA noise.

Example: my son is an audio engineer and he has to turn off his iPhone at times to avoid the dreaded GSM buzz.

Example: ditto at the office around some conference room phone sets that pick up the buzz.

That part of GSM is ancient technology in comparison to the CDMA based radios used for CDMA2000 networks and for UMTS-3G.

just my observation from being a long time GSM user...yes the buzz near speakers used to be a horrible pain in the arse...but for whatever reason I haven't had the GSM buzz since I started using iPhones back in '07

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.