Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exemos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Does anybody know why the 3rd exclamation mark "straightens" up/ changes on the iPhone? You type !!! in a row and the 3rd one is different. Why???

xavierpunkreno

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
Wow never noticed that before. Good catch. Maybe it's to make it look spiffy and different when you're really excited/angry about something? lol

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I barely notice it when I'm in the Messages App. That's the only time, though.

Aaron1021

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Texas
You have to look very close he is correct it does do it.

ohhh....i see it now. Do it a bunch of times, it seems to be random. My guess is that it's due to the way the pixels are set up on the screen. It might sound pretty stupid, but it's just a guess.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
You have to look very close he is correct it does do it.

Wow it's true, it does!!! I had to nearly embed the iPhone in my eye socket to see. If you type a whole line of !!!s, you can see a pattern - every 3rd exclamation mark has straight edges rather than the normal wedge shape. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't imagine what it is!!!

Aaron1021

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Wow it's true, it does!!! I had to nearly embed the iPhone in my eye socket to see. If you type a whole line of !!!s, you can see a pattern - every 3rd exclamation mark has straight edges rather than the normal wedge shape. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't imagine what it is!!!

Mine didn't have a pattern. I had in one place 3 "straight edge" exclamation marks in a row.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Does the same with inverted exclamation marks as well : ¡ (press and hold on !)

Interesting find to distract me from getting work done this morning...!

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Mine didn't have a pattern. I had in one place 3 "straight edge" exclamation marks in a row.

Sorry, you are right, it's not a pattern.

Interesting fact: If you create a block of !!!!s, then start to edit BEFORE the block of !!!s, such that the block of !!!s moves across the screen, then the sequence of straight-edge !s and wedge-shaped !s changes as you type each new character.

Theory: It's the retina display and not the software producing the difference.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Does anybody know why the 3rd exclamation mark "straightens" up/ changes on the iPhone? You type !!! in a row and the 3rd one is different. Why???

Just don't use so many exclamation marks. No one wants to hear you shout.

--
Sent from my iPhone

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. If I need to look closer than this then my advice is to stop doing that.

wow.jpg

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
it's just the anti aliasing of the font. every 3rd ! happens to fall in a spot where the anti aliasing calculations just happen to make it straight. that's what you can edit/shift the row of !'s and the straight ! will be a different one.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
there you go, for everyone who doesn't quite know what this is all about ;)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 15.23.28.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 15.23.28.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 89

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. If I need to look closer than this then my advice is to stop doing that.

wow.jpg

“There’s something wrong, you just don’t know it. I wish I didn’t notice things like this.” from you know who.

I think the last exclamation point is straighter, because by then you really mean it (not that I can see any difference).

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
it's just the anti aliasing of the font. every 3rd ! happens to fall in a spot where the anti aliasing calculations just happen to make it straight. that's what you can edit/shift the row of !'s and the straight ! will be a different one.

Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.